Would you do it?

You have to kill someone. It can be the person you hate the most, a friend, a family member, anyone, and you have to do it with a simple pocket knife. If you do this task, you will never be uncovered by the police, you will receive $100,000 monthly along with whatever you want (a mansion, cars, etc.), and you will get one free wish (Something money could not buy). However, could you bring yourself to kill another person, even for the prize?

• I would do it
  • I wouldn't do it
  • Other/See results
What if it was not someone "bad", just a random, good civilian walking home from work?

Sorry if this question is bad, just wanting to see what people would do

Most Helpful Guy

• So your question basically is: "Would you threw your whole moral code in the wind and sell your soul for a good stack of cash?"
    An interesting thought experiment.

I want to believe I am a good-natured and kind person, just like almost any other human being wants to believe that. I want to think of myself as somebody incorruptible who sticks to his ethical value, can tell right from wrong and wouldn't do anything to hurt anyone (especially not anyone innocent).
    However, the inconvenient truth is: I would. In fact, I strongly believe that ANYONE of us would, regardless of what they claim. It might sound strange or exaggerated at first but I strongly believe that almost anyone without exception is capable of killing innocent people for no good reason. What matters are the circumstances.

See, christianity and other religions want to make us believe that there are "good" and "bad" people. We are the "good" ones, while, say, a pedophile belongs to the "badies". The truth, however, is that there are no universally good or bad people. It's a very comforting idea because we can just think of ourselves as great people and we always have somebody to blame, it's a very black-and-white view of the world - which is exactly why it has NOTHING to do with reality. The truth is that anyone of us can be incredibly good as well as incredibly bad, it all depends on the circumstances. This has been proven in numerous psychological researches. One great example is the Milgram-experiment. Professor Stanley Milgram was interested why the members of the SS and the Gestapo had done the terrible atrocities that they've done during world war two and the holocaust. I study history myself and I frequently experience that laymen these days dismiss the Nazis as a bunch of psychopaths. This is not true though. The young men who tortured and killed thousands of jews in the concentration camps didn't start working there as violent lunatics. It's also not true that they didn't care. Most of them started off as kind, good-hearted, completely normal men who struggled with the idea of killing someone.
    One of the reasons they committed their atrocities anyways (as Prof. Milgram found out in his study) was the fact that they could abdicated from their moral responsibility. After the war, many of these men claimed that they had simply been following commands. By saying that, they were basically arguing "come on, it wasn't my idea. I didn't mean to. I just had to do it." This might sound

• hypocritical to you but the truth is that it's a completely normal, human response to an extreme psychological situation. These men weren't bad from the beginning, they had been corrupted over many years to become the brutal murderers they ended up being.
      In his experiment, Milgram managed to prove that anyone can be manipulated like that. Concretely, over 85%(!) of the test subjects were perfectly happy to give an innocent stranger a lethal electric shock simply because they had been told to do so by an authority figure in a scientist's dress (the electric shocks were not real of course but the test subjects believe them to be real). When they were asked after the experiment why they had done it, their response was exactly the same as the one of the SS men after world war two.

ANYONE can be manipulated. It's sad, but it's just like that. Now, at this moment in this situation, I wouldn't want to kill anyone of course. But had I grown up in the 1930s in Germany... who knows?

What Guys Said 9

• I kill someone "I hate" and DON'T get arrested and shipped to jail for life. And then I go on living with a nice cash flow of money. And cars &a a mansion and the best part of this the wish that money can't buy, but aye magical wishes in this case can " the girl of my dreams". Yea sign me up for some pocket knife shanking. I'd be heavy with guilt but I'll live... quite happily afterwards ;)

• Of course I would. My city is full of gang bangers and pedophiles, I could pick off one of those easily.

• Nope. The ends never justify the means. The means define the end.

• Well duh. Christ.

• Hmmm

My sister's become an annoyance…

But imagine the buzz I'd get in Heaven if I refused!

• If it's someone evil, then yes.

• I would, just sneak up behind them and slash their throats and watch the blood pour out

• If I was horny enough.

• I would kill only the bad people. Really bad people.

What Girls Said 5

• Of course I would do it!!! I would kill Salinas de Gortari for example, that bitch... I would kill someone who deserves it of course. Even if I don't get the prize I would do it lol I wanna kill someone before I die XDDDDDDDDDD

I know I know, I'm going to hell lol

PS: I would never kill someone who doesn't deserve it.

• Hell yeah!!!

• I would do it and then use the wish to undo me killing him/bring him or her back to life

• Killing someone is wrong, so I wouldn't do it.

• No. I couldn't.