Why most atheists are European?

I’ve noticed da majority of atheists r Europeans…it’s less common to see an American or an Asian atheist

Y?

y people fight in religious-related questions?

Most Helpful Girl

• Because Europe is an andvanced corner of the world thats set to be on top again in the next century.

Most Helpful Guy

• Actually they aren't most atheists worldwide are in China (although decreasing) so no, the majority of atheists aren't in Europe.

Atheism became popular in parts of Europe with the new atheist movements. The simplification of philosophy and the appeal of simplified theology that doesn't require much critical thinking

• Also there is more evidence currently disproving the creation theory than there is evidence to prove that a higher being created the universe

• erm... you realise i'm older than you. But thanks even if it's a bit off handed

• not so younger... i'll turn 24 this year

What Girls Said 7

• Religion is pretty heavily ingrained into American culture. Additionally, the average intelligence in Europe is higher, and more intelligence is correlated to less religiosity.

• also based on studies in Europe, better living conditions and happiness corelate with a higher rate of atheism and a greater secularization. Hmmm...

• That's because uneducated people could easily be manipulated on the name of religion and are generally, the ones who are oppressed by the government. That's why you have such statistics.

• @YourFutureEx I never claimed otherwise. If anything, I agree.

• I don't identify as an atheist, and I haven't noticed that correlation. I've learned that more people in Europe aren't religious, but I didn't specifically hear the word atheist.

Interesting. That's probably higher too.

Also, religion was the cause of so much strife historically for Europeans, so they've had that and they're more moving towards being more done with it. (obviously not all)

• Western Europe yes.. we went through the age of enlightenment in the 17th - 18th century. Read up on it. It's very interesting.

• Not European. Definitely an atheist.

• they're "enlightened"

• Um, I was an atheist a year ago..

• They are from communist countries

• Like the UK? or France?

• @Eternallylucky
      Czechoslovakia is 84% Catholic, 7% Jewish. Poland is 90% Catholic, Russia is 75% Christian of different denominations.
      I'm curious where you got your stats from about all these atheists.

• Some girl from chekoslavia told me. She told me people don't generally believe in God in their country.

What Guys Said 12

• Because in America, people think the best way to raise someone is through teaching them one thing, and one thing only; rather than to provide a broad spectrum of possibilities, religion is given as an absolute that every believer is forced to accept as "the truth" since their earliest of ages. Europe tends to be far more "liberal" and look to the future rather than stick to the past. This is why we're socially evolving.

• It's due to history. Europe has a very violent religious history and it's almost like a collective "oh... fuck this shit, I'm done with it" for the entire continent after like two millennia of religious wars and persecutions.

• I think because science disproved the church teachings like the earth being the centre of the universe and the sun rotating around the earth plus the church would tax the population heavily and so discontempt arouse and lead to abonding of religion and taking an agnostic and atheist view

• Well, America was, in large part, founded and fought for based on the idea of religious freedom. Religion is deeply ingrained into our past`and it carries over into our present.

America is an exception of sorts, though, as it's the only world "superpower" (a term I don't really like using, but it is what it is) that is deeply religious. European countries are actually far more then norm.

• Europe has suffered enough with religion, principally during the Middle Ages. I think this is the reason.

• Creationists are not as prevelant in other parts of the world as they are in America. thats just one reason ill give you

• It all goes back to the French Revolution.

• I imagine geography, history and population density play a part.

Urbanites are usually less religious than people living on the frontier, so to speak.

Look at massive, sparsely-populated Russia - deeply religious.

• yeah cause devil fights where the real spirituality is. america's church is dead spiritually so there is nothing for lucifer and his minions to fear and fight there. its already completely empty and lost.

• It is linked to welfare;to me...

• Education and critical thinking. Praise Jayzus! lol

• Woe from Wit. Civilization washes instincts and not much else you need chelovekuts for survival.