Is it possible that a lot of us African-Americans have relatives in Africa?

My ancestors have been living in America since a long time but I was wondering if it was possible to have alive ancestors in Africa alive even though most family os here.

I mean relatives. Lol

Most Helpful Guy

• It's possible for us blacks to have ancestors everywhere. I really hope you don't think you're 100 % black... I mean "African"..."American".

• No. I don't think I have any white in my family. I've never seen any.

• That comment was meant for someone else..

• Oh okay.

Most Helpful Girl

• well the wouldn't be alive considering they are ancestors...

• Thanks for pointing that out. I mean relatives, haha

• Then yes it is plausible.

What Guys Said 3

• Of course, but the problem is that most African Americans don't know exactly where those relatives are at. Africa is a large continent (2nd largest after Antarctica) with over three thousands different tribes. Your distant relatives could be among any one of them.

• I think there is this website that can help trace your roots but I'm not sure of it's credibility.
    http://www.africanancestry.com/home/

• You probably do, although they are ultimately the kids of the dicks who sold your branch of the family into slavery. Kind of awkward.

What Girls Said 3

• I mean, probably but you would be very distantly related. You can look into it if you want but you'd have to have very precise knowledge of your ancestry.

• Of course you do. The majority of your relatives (although rather distant), are there.

• You've just won the dumbest question of the year award... congrats...

• How is this dumb? I just figured since most of my family is here, I would have anymore in Africa.

• Well don't you think your ancestors had family that wasn't taken with them? They wouldn't going after full blown family groups, just whatever healthy ones they could catch.