I'm a good person why do people not resepct me?

I'm a good person, like I show respect to everyone and I don't judge based off of someone's looks etc. I always get disrepected though as if I'm nobody and lame. I can be really sensitive on the inside but not show it on the outside so when people snicker or talk about me for no genuine reason it really bothers me.

what should I do about this? I've tried ignoring people but its just not working.

Most Helpful Guy

• Although I cannot say whether or not you are a good person, the examples you provided at the least would seem to suggest you are a decent person. However even if it were the case that you are an incredibly heroic person, it would seem to be an unfortunate truth that expecting people to treat you as you treat them is similar to expecting a wolf not to bite you just because you won't bite it.

People would often seem to talk down about others, especially those they view as different than they are or whom do not conform to the standards of whatever in group to which they feel they belong, in an attempt to boost their own standing and that of their group. It is one might assume, difficult for them to feel superior without there being someone else whom they can view to be inferior.

Moreover if you are a truly good person, that in of itself might lead to a lack of respect from some types of people. I would suspect most truly good people tend to face discrimination (as an example, the murders and abuse of civil rights advocates would seem relatively common, both historically and today). Behaving in a manner more moral or thoughtful than ones contemporaries can set one apart, and could make others feel defensive because they themselves do not live up to those standards.

It's difficult to provide a suggestion for an informed course of action without knowing more regarding the details of your particular situation. How many people are treating you like this, what kinds of things are they saying, how did this come about (if you know), etc.

Although a snappy comeback as, suggested in another opinion, might work to shut others down, coming up with a good insult can be difficult which exactly fits the situation can be difficult, and there's always the risk they will have an even better comeback. One thing which I found to sometimes work for me personally when I was younger, was responding to others with silence and an expression that was as calm and menacing as I could manage. I rather did seem to inspire fear in others. But I'm not entirely certain if it would work in your situation.

Beyond that I would try not to let it get to you too much. Teenagers can often be petty, and one of the hardest parts of being a teenager can seemingly be having to deal with all those other teens. But it won't always be like this.

Anyways I am sorry you have to deal with those types of people, but remember, no one can make you feel bad without your permission. So don't give it.

Most Helpful Girl

• Stand up for yourself. All people don't deserve respect and some deserve more than others. People see you as weak and probably an ass kiser. That's just the way the world is now. You aren't tough enough so you're seen as weak and that's why you get picked on. If they snicker ask them what they're laughing at. If they make a rude comment insult their looks/personality:clothes don't let people get away with bs.

What Guys Said 7

• Try HARDER ro ignore people who you think take you for granted. That's the only way, to be honest.

And being good yourself does not mean people respect you. That's what they're SUPPOSED to do, but they don't. Just don't give a hoot about them, and you'll be fine.

• At your age sometimes when you are a positive person it makes people angry because they don't feel positive and want to attack people they perceive as weak or people they are jealous of. It can be based on looks or your popularity also. Sometimes no matter what you do or say if you are not popular you may get ridicule. I'm sure it's one or a combination of those things.

• Most 16 year olds doesn't give respect to someone just for being good. They give respect through fear and admiration. I can't really say what to do as a girl, but when I had problems with that when I was around 16, I threatened or talked shit back until it became in their best interest to stop.

• Probably because you're 16 and a lot of people are assholes at that age. Hormones and all.

• subjective label... and this isn't enough to gain respect.

• hi love people r going to be people just do you, love ok

• Some people are just assholes, I know you said you tried ignoring them, but try your best to, as if you don't give them a reaction they will quickly get bored. And be yourself, and don't let anyone walk all over you, or treat you unfairly. Then they won't disrespect you for long.

What Girls Said 3

• Omg I'm the same exact way. I struggle with the same thing. Everyone thinks I'm super stoic, so they joke around like in an offensive way to me and expect it not to hurt. Like god I have feelings to, just because minor crying on somebody's shoulder doesn't mean I can't get offended. (Sorry for the vent)
    The only thing that I can think of (worked for me sometimes) come up with a snappy slightly offensive comeback to shut them down. Hope this helps 😭

• You're a pushover, that's why.

• I'm not a pushover actually. If I don't feel like something right I'll say that and I will not back down.

• Well I don't know you personally, that was just my initial impression of you based on what you wrote. Maybe you're too nice? You didn't go into much detail.

• they do it because you're nice, so they know you won't be cruel back.