Was I right not to lend him money?

There's a neighbour who helps everyone fix stuff around the house and he does it for free (he gets offended when someone offers to pay him). He helped me put up a shelf and fixed my door. One day he came and asked me to lend him 60$ and I said no because I'd lent him a game and he never returned it. Anyway, he said "What kind of person are you? I helped you out around the house and you won't lend me money" then he just ran away from my house without saying bye or anything. He doesn't come by anymore (he'd used to come and chat with my mom) and my mom called him to fix the faucet (I told her not to) and he said he will but he never did.
Was I right not to lend him money?

Most Helpful Guy

• You were in the right not to lend him money. I made the mistake of lending my female friend money and she never repaid me. Lesson learnt don't lend people money unless they are family. I know my family would always pay me back. People that come back with the kind of response "What kind of person are you? I helped you..." are trying to guilt you into what they want. They are very annoying and selfish, these types of people actually show you that they are not a nice as you think they once were. Sorry I am not trying to be mean but it is the truth.

Most Helpful Girl

• you were right.

What Guys Said 3

• Not enough info... There are some very friendly people who are always willing to help others and simply expect others to help them in return. Farming communities are like that. Everyone help everyone else. That may be what he is used to.

On the other hand, you get people who are manipulative. I have an uncle like that. He always help when it suites him and when it does not cost him much, but guilt trips people when he wants something in return. No one trusts him anymore.

• He is right, i don't know how it goes in America, but if you want to maintain good relationships with people, then you need to learn to repay things whether in cash or actions, that's just how it is.

• I think it was wrong of him to hold it against you and if someone borrows something and doesn't return it then they can't blame you for not wanting to repeat the exercise with cash.

What Girls Said 0