Whats your definition of being stuck up means?

Most Helpful Guy

• - Somebody who is ignorant and unwilling to inform himself/herself better
    - Somebody who is intolerant and hates on other people for being different (being gay, having different sexual preferences, having a completely different idea of how to live their lives or what's important in life etc.)
    - Somebody who is prudish
    - Somebody who has traditional/conservative opinions that are simply irrational and bullshit (not all traditional opinions are but many). Examples would "waiting till marriage" or "waiting for decent girls" as @muspelhem_5 said. I'm sure there would be more examples like these (usually these opinions come with a ton of intolerance, so the stuck-up people would for example claim that guys who don't have "decent" girlfriends are somehow unworthy or stupid).

Plus, my definition of "stuck-up" is also influenced by my own culture. In Swiss or German, we have a beautiful word for which there is, sadly, no equivalent in the English language (at least not that I know of). The German word I mean is "Spiesser". Somebody who is a "Spiesser" is very narrow-minded and obsessed with conforming with society and hates change. Spiesser are also completely in love with rules (which German and Swiss culture are particularly famous for anyway). For example when you live in an apartment building (living in a house is not the norm in Switzerland or Germany) and your neighbor is a Spiesser, he/she would control whether you parked your bike correctly and at the correct place, whether you empty your mailbox regularly, whether you water the plants on your balcony enough, whether you throw out your trash on the correct day, whether you use the laundry machine only on your designated day and whether you clean it properly after you use it (there's usually one laundry machine for several families and you get one day per week to do laundry), what kind of people you invite etc. If this neighbor thinks that you are in some way violating social rules or even your tenancy contract, they will go out of their way to make this clear both by ringing your bell and complaining and calling the landlord and complaining about you (even if it doesn't actually affect them). Just think of these people a bit like a voluntary version of the secret police informers in former east Germany (GDR). We have tons of these people in Switzerland and Germany (and Austria too). So these people and their behavior/way of thinking is also very stuck-up in my opinion.

• Thanks for the mention :) I have a bit of a Spiesser in me...

• Do you guys have a word for that in Danish? We're culturally sort of similar, so I was wondering if you also have this concept...

Most Helpful Girl

• A person who believes he or she are superior to others. Often times show rude, snobbish behavior; arrogant.

What Guys Said 3

• It means you think you're better than others

• -No sense of humour
    -Likes to remind others of own exellence
    -Judgmental as fuck
    -Takes pride in ridiculous things, e. g. "waiting till marriage" for women and "looking for respectable girls" for men

• Acting like they are too good to even talk to someone or they think they're overall better than everyone. Basically really vain and shallow people.

What Girls Said 1

• pretty much think that the persons better than everyone else and has to have all the attention on her or him