Are attractive people tipped more?

To start off, I'm a waitress. It seems like the highest tips, in relation to party size, are from guys or one guy.

So, do you tip a woman/man you find attractive more than you tip someone else? Or are you indiscriminate as long as the person was good at their job?

P. S., I'm not saying I'm hot or anything. I'm saying that those particular people acted as if they found me attractive.

• Yes
  • No
  • I haven't noticed a correlation.

Most Helpful Guy

• I have noticed a correlation after chatting with my friends and from what I've read or saw in media. Personally I tip the same amount unless the service was way better or way worst than I expected.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think that people tend to tip more if they are attractive and do their job well. If they are attractive and shitty at their job, I don't think it would make a difference at all.
    When I was younger and single I would tip an attractive waiter more if he did his job well, especially if they were flirty with me. Now that I am older their level of attractiveness does not change my tip at all. What does change my tip is their attitude. If they have a piss poor attitude and act like they don't want to be there or act irritate, my tip will go down drastically.

What Guys Said 13

• I don't care what a person looks like. I tip on service

that said I'm sure plenty of guys will tip a person they find attractive more than a person they don't... not sure why

• I say yes, most people subconsciously tip better looking people more money, with all other factors such as quality of service being equal.

• It probably influences it, but could go either way, since you wouldn't want to be too obvious/creepy about it.

• No, attractive appearance does not make me tip a female more ,

• Oh yes they are

• well its true, when i used to be a waiter at a catering hall/ country club my female co workers would get more from tips than their actual paycheck, it was ridiculous me on the other hand hardly ever got tipped by club members and occasionally got tipped during catered events

• That sucks. If people were paid a decent salary, it wouldn't be so cut throat.

• lol she is gross!
      she had sex with like every guy i worked with

• Haha, I have no response to that one.

• Yes. Doubly so if they flirt. It's scientifically proven.

• i haven't noticed a correlation, because im a student, so i dont tip unless she's adriana lima LOL

• But wouldn't the correlation be that you would only give her your money if you found her hot? (considering that you're broke)
      p. s., I know all about the broke college life. Ramen every day :')

• ahaha it was just a joke :) but if i'll tip for someone. being beautiful, or gender doesn't matter.
      if i got a good service, i would give tips according to that service.

• thank you! Waiters and waitresses everyone appreciate that.

• Yes attraction definitely plays a role in women waitresses getting bigger tips. I'm not like that though.

And we all know you're hot Vishna, don't be modest ;)

• No I don't. If you treat me well I give you $5 doesn't matter if you ugly or not

• No, it depends on the service, and the customer. I'm relatively cheap (cause I'm Jewish, lol) so, I go by how much the bill is. Generally, the appropriate tip is, to double the tax

• You're hot I've seen your pictures.

• ;) I was trying not to brag. I forgot everyone can see my face on here.

• Hahaha you're welcome miss. One day I'll tell you who I am. People knew me on here at one time.

• Please do :)

• No, I tip the same amount regardless.
    I have other ways of impressing a cute waitress.

What Girls Said 8

• I would say I'm fairly nice looking, and people always leave tips for me. When my (overweight, not so nice looking) coworkers come in I notice we don't get as many tips, but if a nice looking coworker comes in we will continue to get tips.
    People are pretty fucked up :/

• It would be a tremendous lie if someone claimed that attraction doesn't matter.
    It matters a lot. Some people refuse to admit they do it, not only because of denial, but because it's a subconscious process. People feel more secure and more pleasant whenever they are around attractive people.
    That results in having a more positive reaction towards them.

• Yes, but I try to tip based on how good they did their job. I'm a vegan and was at this restaurant last month and this waitress literally did everything should could and even called up corporate office to see if I could eat a sweet potato. It turned out they cooked them in bacon grease. I gave her a $20 tip for that that day.

• Who cooks sweet potato in grease :O
      What restaurant was this?
      p. s., I know the pain of everything being cooked in animal fat or broth, I'm a vegetarian in the South :/
      even the green beans aren't safe.

• Wow, there's a lot of vegans and vegetarians on here.😄

I had to eat at Texas Road House because my older sister wanted to eat there after her graduation. The waitress had the cooks steam me some vegetables with no butter. Lol I'm a vegan down south and it can be hard to go out to eat. The only place I can go to get a full meal is at Chipotle here. When I visit my uncle on the west coast I'm in vegan heaven. 😂

• Wow, yeah, it's hard with so many southern restaurants that have no corporate interests in feeding veg heads (nothing big on the menu)
      That must be incredibly hard. Part of the reason I haven't gone vegan yet is because I live in the South. You're a lot stronger than I am.
      Yes, haha. Chipotle is heaven for people who don't like meat. So many toppings and the guacamole <3 <3 3 yum

• Well known and studied phenomenon.

• i would think many do

• I don't tip. However its a social convention to drool over some-one who is stereotypically attractive. So it goes by being more popular, social and getting better tips.

• Why don't you tip? Is it included in the bill?

• You seem like a wonderful person.

• Oh that's flattering 😀

• Thats crazy. I tip more if the waitress did an excellent job.

• I think women generally tip less than men.