Whay type of Dog should I get?

My dog died last year and i would like another one. What type of dogs make good pets as well as a guard dog?

Most Helpful Guy

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm sorry to hear of your loss. I would say a German Shepherd. They are handsome dogs, they can be playful and affectionate, but also good guard dogs. My brother has one, and he's a great dog.

http://i.imgur.com/BD5rPp9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/ySC8wyi.jpg

A Boxer might also be good, they can have a sweet, playful temperament but can be good guard dogs, too. They do need exercise, because they are a bit rambunctious usually. My aunt has 3, and they are fun and well behaved (trained early)

http://i.imgur.com/x7gR7vX.jpg

I'm not sure if Golden Retrievers make excellent guard dogs, but they're beautiful and great dogs, too. I love my friend's lady GR, she is so sweet.

http://i.imgur.com/TClZPFm.jpg

I personally prefer smaller dogs, just because I don't have a yard to let them run around. So I like Corgi, French Bulldogs, Boston Terriers, etc.

• My dog who died last year was a German Shepherd. They are my favorite breed. I like Boxers too.

• I can't resist it's adorable smile, plus it looks similar to a fox and i love foxes 😊

• They really do! A neighbor had one, but I never saw it up close. But still adorable! :)

What Guys Said 8

• Depends on where you live of course.

I'm gonna get so much shit by brainwashed idiots, but I say Pit Bull puppy. Raise them right and you're gonna end up with a big baby to deal with that will ride or die for you. I've never been around a Pit Bull raised wrong, all the ones I've been around were just snuggly puppies basically. My best friends Pit actually loved laying on me so much he would follow me to the couch and just wait for me to sit down. The SECOND my ass touched the couch, he would sprawl out all on me and refuse to move. And if I tried to get up, he'd start going ham on my face and lick like crazy. He's also drool on my pants a lot and roll over so I can rub his stomach.

Seriously, Pit Bulls are loyal little things. They'll protect you if in danger, but otherwise they just love bugs. Not like a Doberman or Rott, which are really protective guard dogs, but a guard dog/family dog/snuggle bear.

• My sister had a pitbull. It was a great family pet. She had him from a puppy until he died aged 11yrs old. Best dog she'd ever had. Thanks! 👍

• Food and new jeans if you get a drooler.

• Haha! I'll keep that in mind lol

• Your choice of dog depends a lot upon your living environment. For instance if you have a large fenced in yard or not or live in an apartment or have kids or other dogs or cats and whether you will be gone for long periods of time. Choosing a dog is like choosing a boyfriend, there are zillions of things to think about. So first tell us more about your circumstances and environment.

• The Akita is an awesome guard dog. My friend's Akita is quite friendly, although likes messing with him.

• Yey! My relative has one... beautiful dogs!!

• German shepherds

I really want to adopt a puppy too.

• My favorite dog!. My last dog was a German Shepherd 👍

• Aww so sad about the rabbit, that's awful. 😭😭😭

• Hence the word "puppy". Puppies need to be trained, so whose fault is it there?

• A CORGI YOU WANT A CORGI

• The dog of the Royals, lol

• Haha! Well we certainly have different tastes! Hey , you are you Phillip really? Lol

• A dirty dog I guess !

• Guard dogs? any dog! haha. My little shihtzu mix is fierce as fuck! She hears a stranger coming to the door and she's ready to fuking battle!

• Haha! The small dogs scare me l

• Depends where you live, what sort of amenities for dogs are around, how much time you will be able to spend with the dog, are there other animals or close neighbors & etc.

Dogs are really from another time, if you don't have an old fashioned lifestyle it's hard to fit them in.

• We have an Entlebucher, they were bred to be a general purpose small farm dog. Very protective of property and family, extremely intelligent and super obedient also a nice size around 40-50 lbs, low maintenance, doesn't need a lot of exercise, only barks when there is a good reason. The best dog ever really. But you do have to be with him most of the time, he can be left alone but it's not good for him or most dogs really. A dog isn't a toy you can put away in the closet when you don't want to play with it. It's a companion and the modern world makes that hard.

• Thanks! 👍

What Girls Said 3

• Depends on a few factors like where you live (house with a yard or an apartment?), how much time you have to train them and exercise them (dogs bred to be guard dogs can require a lot of exercise and training), stuff like that.

Doberman Pinschers are very loyal to you and your household, a great family pet, willing to please, very intelligent (a pro and a con lol), and friendly. They tend to be wary of people they don't know so socializing them properly with friends, family, neighbours, and other dogs is very important. They aren't aggressive unless you either train them that way (please don't), or if they encounter a stranger that you don't like or an intruder in the house. In my experience, they just bark a whole lot and loudly until the person is gone. I've had Dobermans throughout my life and I've never had a biting incident.

Another good one for you would be a German Shepherd Dog (GSD) as other people mentioned. They are quite hairy so they shed like crazy and you need to brush them a lot.

• German shepherds and alsations immediately come to mind. I've got a lot of experiences with dogs, so I'd love to try and help more :) What kind of lifestyle do you have, like would you be able to take them for long walks every day? Would they be left in the home everyday for an extended period of time?

• Alsatian and GSD are actually the same dog. http://www.total-german-shepherd.com/Alsatian.html

• @Asker, as I said earlier, I thought that they were the same, just in my past experience I've only seen one of each and I've had a lot of experience with it :P

• I am just confirming it for you because you seemed unsure 😝

• I would go to your local shelter and talk to them!
    they spend every day with those dogs (know their personalities, their strengths/weaknesses, etc) and they'll be able to help you find the dog that you're looking for :)