Is 6 years a long time to graduate University?

I feel so old.

i took 2 years off in between

Most Helpful Guy

• Depends on who you compare yourself to. I will graduate my bachelors next summer and by then, I will have been studying for 7 years. I'm expecting that I will need another 2-3 years for my masters, so when I'm done with that, I will have studied at Uni for roughly 9-10 years. And for the job I want to do there will be a further education I have to complete which will last for another 2 years.
    I have several reasons why I'm so "slow". I am legally blind and of course that makes studying at a University much harder for me. I also spent some time abroad. And I had some setback because of my health condition related to the disability. And studying in my country generally takes longer than in America or Great Britain. But perhaps most importantly, I've never much cared about how long I take. I enjoy studying quite a lot and I want to learn stuff. Other people rush through their studies like crazy and constantly freak out about how long they've already been at Uni. But the truth is this: when you're 50, nobody will ever care how long it took you. Nobody will ask you "Soooo how long did it take YOU to finish your studies?". Worrying about this seems so pointless. It's like worrying when you get to have your first time sex. When it comes, it comes.

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends on what you're doing and what degree you're getting. Most people can get their bachelors degree in 4 years. However, sometimes if someone is doing a double major or experience certain setbacks with scheduling, it may take them a year or two longer to graduate. So, I don't think 6 years is "abnormal" or anything.

What Guys Said 4

• Some majors take more effort and time. Some individual circumstances cause one to have to spend a longer time working at it. In your case, you took two years off, so it only took you 4 years of actual school time. And that is definitely not long.

When I started, I had some difficulties and it was back when there was a draft. So I ended up having to join the military so that I could have more control over my military destiny. I ended up being a "lifer" in the Navy and continued my studies part time. Don't remember the year I ended up finally graduating and don't have the "paper" at hand, but it was about 20 years. What ever it takes, you just do it.

• Nope not at all. Some majors are intended to be 5 year majors so if you had to take a semester off then you are going to take 6 years to graduate. It is not a big deal there are people graduating college that are decades older than you. You are fine :)

• Bachelor degree or masters?

• Everyone finishes school at their own pace, just getting that piece of paper is all that matters.

What Girls Said 5

• Not at all. Some programs are 5 years or more and some students in other programs are part time because it's easier for them. Sometimes it takes a couple of tries to pass a difficult class. All that matters in the long run is the degree you're getting at the end 😊

• yeah.

usually it's 4 or 5
    the only guy i knew who graduated in six was a triple science/engineering major.

• It does feel long but if you are doing some other things, and enjoying yourself then it will pass before you know it.

Simply, I just mean enjoy.

I think it will take me 6 years to graduate too!

Don't feel old.

• Nope.
    At least you're getting educated! Lol

• It is a bit long, but at least you're graduating! Be proud of that!