Are you for or against gun control?

• For
  • Against

Most Helpful Guy

• I am very much pro. I believe that it should be everywhere in the world as it is in Japan or in South Korea. In Japan, it's completely illegal for normal citizens to own any kind of firearm, whether it's an assault rifle or a simple handgun. The only people who are allowed to touch guns are soldiers.
    I myself come from a country which is frequently mistaken by many right-wing Americans to be very lose on gun control but the truth is that we actually have a very strict gun control, just like in most other European nations. And say what you may, the statistics prove countries with a high gun control right over and over again. All European nations (and Canada) have a much lower homicide rate than America does and Japan has one of the lowest murder rates in the world. Now, of course you can consider a few sentences on a 250-year old piece of paper holy but if that leads to thousands upon thousands of dead people every year, it's probably not a very rational way of living. The way gun fanatics in America argue and think reminds me a lot of religious fanatics. Of course you can take a few sentences in the bible literally and claim that gay people should be stoned to death but that's not exactly a moral or constructive way to live as a society, so why would you do it?

Most Helpful Girl

• For and reason being I lost my brother he was murdered because guns are accessible. And yes I know it's not a gun that killed him it was a person. BUT had that person not been able to get a gun he wouldn't have died. It breaks my heart every day and for the other out there that have been injured or murdered because they so easily got a gun. It's not right it's not fair. I'm forever against guns I hate them. I think in order to be able to obtain a gun you should be free of criminal history or anything of such a matter. I understand people use them for hunting and recreational use but in times of anger them being so accesible it breaks me. Sad face guns suck I hate them.

What Guys Said 22

• For - but you have to accept a couple of things:

Firstly, it has to be done properly - it's no good just doing a half-arsed job of it. It needs to be a blanket ban (no licensing) across the whole country (obviously a ban won't work at state level, because you don't have border controls between states), and it needs to be strictly enforced, with very harsh penalties.

Secondly, it won't be a quick fix. There are already an awful lot of guns in the US, and it will take a very, very long time to get rid of them all. In fact, in the short term, a ban may even be counter-productive. It's no good banning guns though, if you're going to vote in a republican president 4 years later, who's just going to legalize them again - you have to give it a lot longer than 4 years.
    Eventually though, you (or rather your grandchildren and great-grandchildren) will see the benefits. You can't just be defeatist / short-termist and say "the criminals will always be able to get guns", because that doesn't have to be the case.

Thirdly, the constitution is not always right. It has been amended before, and it can be again. The question is whether gun ownership benefits or harms the nation's citizens, and the answer to that is obvious. You just have to say "Yes, it's my right to own a gun, but I'm a decent human being and I'm prepared to waive that right, because stopping innocent people getting shot is more important". You probably wouldn't complain too much about a ban on carrying bazookas or burying landmines in your lawn to deter thieves, and you shouldn't complain about a ban on guns.

• I am for gun control , but I don't see how it can be done. What you propose will create a rebellion and incite violence. Analyse the pulse of your country and tell me seriously if it makes sense. The federal cannot do what you want them to do , they can't even pass laws to do it, They have to get rid of the second amendment and you won't see that happening in your lifetime. For me the gun culture in the United states in 2015 is difficult to understand from the outside , Has there been a change in attitudes about it in the last 20 years? I won't pretend I know how to have gun control that makes sense. Blanket Ban ( no licensing) leaves the criminals with guns only.

• Gun control doesn't solve the problem, its like putting a strait jacket on someone and prounouncing them cured. Only worse because criminals will always find a way to find what they want. We have spent billions in america trying to stop the drug trade and all it has done is made things worse. We need to regulate them but not remove them not create laws that take them out of the hands of law abiding citizens. We need to figure out why such issues occur and what we can do to prevent the urge to use guns.

• gun control , yes but how , I live in Canada an we use to have a gun registry , useless gun control.

We instituted regulation that in the home, guns must have trigger locks and bullet stored separately , its more to prevent children with guns accidents.

Its a complex issue , an example,. police use to look up or call in the gun registry to see if there were hunting guns in the house when called to a domestic dispute , a false sense of security , there are more unregistered gun then registered so...

it cost billions of dollars to run and never prevented many serious crimes , as criminals were failing to register their guns,

• Against, for the most part. I do think "some" things require regulation, but when I say this I'm talking about it from the perspective of my own country, as I think if a higher and more varied amount of firearms were implemented into my country, they'd have to be brought in quite gingerly.

For a country like Switzerland, on the other hand? Hell they're completely fine. The country is FILLED with armed citizens and I believe they even allow fully automatic weapons their with no penalty.

Though if it's any consolation I don't quite think people should be allowed RPGs to fire in their back garden, though that's a little different to a "gun."

• Being from Switzerland, I have to correct you on that part about Switzerland being all fine with tons of guns. For some reason, there's been this myth flying around America (and I guess also Great Britain) that Switzerland is super lose on gun control and still a safe haven. Now, while it is correct that my country is extraordinarily safe, we actually have a very strict gun control. The reason we have so many guns per capita is because contrary to England or the US, we have an army built on the militia principle. Every male citizen is required to do military service. Now, during the cold war when people were all paranoid and politicians thought the Russians could stand at our doorstep any morning, they passed a law that you can, in fact you must keep your army rifle after you complete your service. The men were required to store the rifle at home in their basement and attic, so that they would be ready to jump out of their bed any minute and fight the evil communists. The particularly

• ironic part is that the government did not allow citizens to possess any munition. So although you had your assault rifle in your attic, you still would have had to travel to the next military barracks, get a permission to have munition, then travel to the closest military armory, show the people their your paper slip and get the munition. Seems rather idiotic to me. Nowadays, things are quite different. A few years ago a new law was passed that men were officially allowed to deposit their guns at the armory after their service for an unlimited time. And because Swiss people are not into guns, many young men choose to do so. So while this might still be "your" gun legally speaking, most men actually don't consider it their gun anymore once they deposit it at the armory. And there's now a new law in process that wants to even make it mandatory to deposit your gun at the armory. Plus, if you haven't been to the army, it's practically impossible to get a permission for a firearm.

• Gun control please
    this is why our government and every government shouldn't be trusted
    nypost.com/.../

officials are so willing to take guns away from americans
    but meanwhile they have operations like this...

Every one should have the right to bear arms, and defend themselves

• I am agaisnt it, I believe it is every legal citizens right to own any kind of firearm received through legal means in their home, according to the 2nd amendment of the United States Of America.

• Interestingly enough, the second amendment only guarantees our military should have the right to bear arms. People don't mention the "milita" part of our amendment.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan One of the purposes of the 2nd Amendment is to make sure the populace is armed in case our government goes rouge, turns agaisnt the people etc, that way if they do we have the ordnance and man power capable of taking care of them in which case we eliminate and or imprison them and then replace them with better people. One of the things our whole country was founded on the idea of the people having power and the power and ability to deal with the government should the need ever arise, in reality our country can function with or without the government heck when the government temporally shut down a few years back we were actually doing better then when they were back in charge.

Even so regardless of the 2nd amendment it is still any Americans right to legally bear arms.

• I am totally against gun control. Guns are accesible anyway for bad people. They don't just say, "well, the government doesn't allow me to have a gun. okay i give up", they get it illegal ways. You can't stop something by simply banning it. Take marijuana in USA, it's illegal in many states. Is it impossible to get then? Heck no!!!
    You have an unbalanced situation, bad guy with guns and good guys without guns counting on the police on the other side of the phone. At best case scenario, there's ten minutes until the police arrives.
    Just let good people have guns too. If they have guns, they can shoot the armed robber they encountered in their home at the middle of the night and protect their family, their kid in the crib!! Just let good people defende themlselves!!!

• With your logic, we shouldn't have laws at all.

Why keep murder illegal? People are going to murder anyway. Why keep rape illegal? People are going to rape anyway.
      (Because making things illegal decreases the prevalence of them occurring.)

• @CincinnatiRedsfan if we're gonna bend the logic all we want, then let's have a government that taps into everyone's phones, that puts camera's in every house and that places a microchip under our skin. Heck, let's give all the economic power to government too, this way we can make sure everyone has equal amount of money. The government would just shut us down with the chip they planted under our skin moments before we commit a crime, wouldn't that be the safest of all?

• Our government could kill all of us and control us any time if they want to. It has nothing to do with guns or taking control over us.

• Gun Control: Where law abiding citizens have their guns removed from them and law-breaking criminals still break the law, as criminals do, and steal guns.

• I'm not sure.

I'm against civil possession of firearms
    but.. I'm all for civilians feeling safe.

• it's easy to think that criminals wouldn't be able to get their hands on a gun.

• I'm against gun control. I personally believe every law abiding citizen should be armed within their homes and for their own safety.

• if you take away guns for the law abiding citizens you just leave them totally defenseless against the criminals who already have shown that they can get guns illegally.

• Hard to decide. Criminals will be able to easily buy weapons for themselves, but on the other hand what if a burglar or murderer broke into your house at night?

Although, I am for the police to carry firearms, regardless.

• For, to an extent. I believe in gun ownership and use, but more strenuous background and mental health checks are in order

• I think moderation should be used, however I don't like the idea that this could lead to guns being banned completely... that, I am not okay with.

• dont think it's a good thing that people can have guns in the house... it's nonsens to say it's needed to protect yourself, you can protect yourself without guns

• I don't live in America yo deal with restricrions!

• did u move out from US?

• so u live in america. but y did u say u don't? LOL

• @Klaatu51 bad wording on the whole sentence lol. Please excuse my failed semi drunken attempt last night.

I meant I don't live in this great free country so I can deal with restrictions.

• Damn I thought that died

Wouldn't we find another way to kill each other?

• Well in Canada there are extensive background checks so every idiot can't get his hands on a gun.

• Define gun control.
    Because I would like more gun control in the US, but not too much more.

• Guns should always be controlled, otherwise you are liable to miss what you are shooting at.

• I think any citizen should be able to buy his own gun. Criminals get theirs easily anyway, at least where I live. Even 13-year-olds carry a gun and get away with murder, so I don't see any reason why I shouldn't be able to buy one myself for protection. The police can't even protect themselves: a good number of the guns that these thugs get come from stealing the policemen. Again, I'm talking about my country, in which security sucks. I'm pretty sure things are different in a country like USA.

• I think the 30 year ban Washington D. C. had on handguns shows how ridiculously stupid gun control is. Crime rate remained the same. Homicide rates SOARED. There's a reason why for those 30 years it was known as the murder capital. They allowed handguns to be sold again specifically to reduce the homicide rates. The only people that stopped getting handguns during that time were the people that weren't committing crimes.

• There actually isn't a band on hand guns in Washington, D. C. I know people from D. C. and it's legal to buy guns there. I don't know where this myth emerged from.

• @CincinnatiRedsfan "They allowed handguns to be sold again"

What Girls Said 11

• the right to bear arms; if guns are controlled then how would one protect themselves in a possibly endangering situation? what if another pulls a gun and you have nothing to defend yourself with? as long as guns aren't used for criminal behavior and/or against (righteous & fair) law enforcement, then there is no reason to take away an American citizen's rights.

• The big problem with this argument (the NRA's faaaavorite argument) is that guns don't make a society safer, they make it more dangerous. The way you make a society safer is to ensure that people are happy, that everyone gets a chance and that the society is as equal as possible. You might call this lefty propaganda but all the statistics and researches show that this is how it works. Take Iceland, Norway or Japan for example. All of these countries are extremely equal in terms of wealth distribution. Poverty is not a big problem - and neither is crime. Police officers in Norway and Iceland don't even carry guns! (neither in my country Switzerland by the way). In all of these countries, gun laws are extremely strict. It's not true that without guns, you'd have to fear to get robbed or killed on your way home late at night. Because in Scandinavia or Japan, people don't have any reason to rob or kill others. It's about general mentality and how well the political system works, not guns.

• @blueCoyote With the drug lords and dictators, my point was that the money they sit on doesn't stop them from being violent. Certain individuals may commit violence due to social inequalities, but not most. Switzerland again, doesn't have a second amendment per say, but they do have a highly armed population either way you slice it, with a fairly low crime rate. We do have background checks already in place when you buy a weapon, along with getting a pistol permit. We also have a much higher population, a very divided population, and we have a shit ton of crazy people. You could disarm our entire population, and it wouldn't change anything. Arms are being smuggled over from Mexico, along with narcotics. AK-47's are not even sold here in the U. S, yet they are on our streets. Most of our violence, has to do with organized crime. We are the world's largest drug market, and everyone wants a piece of it. Mass shootings are unfortunately becoming a trend as well. People are impressionable,

• @BlueCoyote, also, they have found grenades, automatic rifles, illegally modified weapons, etc. None of which are legal, but have been seized by the ATF. Secondly, why are you so concerned with our liberties to begin with? Your in Switzerland, and quite frankly it doesn't concern you.

• Who are the people who shoot up schools and buildings and go on rampages? Regular people with easy access to guns. Thousands of people a year are killed by civilians with guns not out of self defense.
    Obviously there is something wrong and I certainly would not feel safe with every person on the street carrying a concealed gun.

• Dylan roof was not legally supposed to purchase a gun. Neither was Adam Lanza or Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold.

• And killing friends and family and themselves from a gun they were TRUSTED with. So many cases of a gun going off and killing someone that person lived. So many people who owned guns but then something pushed hem over the edge and they killed people.
      So many unnecessary deaths from something that only causes harm. @pat8707

• @throwit The Second Amendment of the United States Constitution reads: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." The key word in that sentence is PEOPLE, not Militiamen, or militia, people. Also, you show the typical gun control enthusiast tactics, calling people paranoid, or at least implying it. And once again, most of the problems here could EASILY be solved with gun safety knowledge, any person who legally owns a gun would know not to aim it at somebody, loaded or not, safety on or off under any circumstance. They also know that you ALWAYS keep and eject the magazine/ bullets out of the gun when it is not being used. And as I proved to you before, 93% of gun crimes are committed with an illegal firearm, so why take away those who do have it legally?

• I'm for regulations.
    I could expand my thoughts, but I think a lot of answers already state my views wonderfully.

• Yeah anyone psycho bitch can get one. We need control like Canada. And/Or they need to mentally evaluate people b4 they get one and do serious background checks.

• For. Australia banned guns after the Port Arthur Massacre in the 90s, and we've not had a massacre since.

• I agree, Australians really learned their lesson. Other countries did too. It's said that in the US, two sentences on a 250 year old piece of paper are valued more than hundreds of thousands of lives. I get that the constitution is considered practically as sacred by many Americans as the bible is to the pope but really... in 2013 alone, over 11,000 people died due to gun violence in America. That's more people per capita than in Iraq.

• @Pat8707 Actually, it's because the Australian government created a firearms buy-back scheme after Port Arthur. They bought guns of citizens and destroyed them.
      There are actually a lot of illegal firearms here. They aren't the ones used in massacres.

• Yeah, they did that but the reason why criminals can't (as easily) illegally get guns is because they share no borders. that's the main problem with gun control in the U. S. we share our border with Mexico, which has very little border security. And plenty of people still have guns there, just not as many. Plus, you can easily get a gun shipped to you from another country if you look hard enough.

• Against gun control unless we are talking background checks in the states that dont require them. No talk about outright banning them.

• Gun control solves nothing, just look at the democratic cities with the toughest form of gun control... Yup that's right, they have the highest murder rates. Liberal media has been lying.

• Neutral I suppose? I think under some circumstances there should be gun allowance (maybe with a permit) otherwise maybe not...

• I'm for gun control/regulation.

Gun control does NOT mean I'm for banning all guns.

• Haha I think I recognize the lady... and I'm CERTAIN I agree with her on this topic :D
      To me it's simple: if you want to buy a gun you need to obtain a licence.
      If the person meets the criteria for the licence he or she should get the gun.
      And a VERY import rule is that if the person does not take proper care of the weapon and leaves it in the open for gangsters to take, the owner will have shared responsibility in crime committed with it.
      What does that mean? People who have a gun and use it correctly will have the same rights as today.
      People who mess around with it will be kept far away from weapons since they're not capable of dealing with them. Good system :D

• @ZombieCommie Hello! You're back now! Ha

Anyway, there is no sense of explaining it. People who oppose gun control think...

-Gun control is the support of banning all guns
      -Use Washington D. C. and Chicago as examples of why banning guns doesn't work, except guns aren't banned in those two cities, that's a myth (I know people who live there.) And even if they did ban guns, two isolated cities wouldn't make a difference anyway (not enough of a range to have an affect.)
      -Use the fallacy "People are going to break the laws anyway", except we can say that with ANY law in our justice system (People are going to steal anyway, people are going to rape anyway, why not make it legal?)

Really, since they think gun control means banning all guns, they're cognitively impaired in the first place and the debate falls flat from the beginning.

• in Canada it works pretty darn well.

• NO
    e. g. gun ban Mass. = more shootings than other states
    ironic?