Have you ever walked out of a store because the items were too expensive?

In my case,
being able to afford the item wasn't the issue.
It's the fact that the items are very overpriced and I know I can get the same thing for cheaper elsewhere.

For me, this specifically pertains to clothing or shoes (but I know this can happen with anything)
The other day it happened with food.
I walked into a Chinese restaurant and ordered something that I usually get for $10 elsewhere.
The woman said $29.
I left that store so fast!!
I think all she saw was the door fly open and didn't even see me leave.

I mean some prices are outrageous.
Just because you have the money doesn't mean you should waste it.

If this happened to you, can you remember with what?
How do you feel about overpriced items?

Most Helpful Guy

• Sure.
    No reason to get ripped-off, even if you can afford it.
    I just go "No way I'm paying that much"
    But for food I usually check the prices before ordering.

• This place specifically advertised the food, and no prices next to them.

When I see that I always know I'm in to spend a large amount.

Most Helpful Girl

• Hell ya all the time.
    I don't like paying a lot of money for clothes because they're all produced in the same factories anyways. It just makes me kinda angry when fashion companies underpay thir workers and then ridiculously overcharge for their products
    img-9gag-fun.9cache.com/photo/anK2Q0n_700b_v1.jpg
    I don't usually mind paying more for food though because I enjoy good, high quality food and a good dining experience. It's not wasted money in my eyes

What Guys Said 13

• I don't think it happens so much to me. I hate shopping for clothes or shoes or anything related to that. I only buy new clothes/shoes if I really, really have to (for example there was hole in the sole of my last sneakers as big as a quarter dollar and all the rainwater from the puddles soaked my socks, so I was forced to get a new pair). It's not that I can't afford new clothes, I just hate shopping for them. So when I do shop for clothes or shoes, I want to get it over with as fast as possible. I always go to the same 2-3 stores because I know they have stuff that I like and it's not expensive. I don't care much about fancy clothes, I just need something to cover my bare skin and that's good enough for me.
    As for food: restaurants are generally very expensive in my country, even the casual ones. So as a uni student, you have to think twice whether you really want to go out and have dinner at a restaurant with your girlfriend or friends. It's something I do maybe once or twice a month. I know people who do it even way less than that. Basically, there are no cheap restaurants. Even McDonald's is expensive... so while I hate the fact that I have to pay a lot of money, I do it anyway because sometimes it's just more fun than eating at home. I'm quite a foodie in general, so I also like going to deli shops sometimes and look for cool products. And there it does sometimes happen that I only walk and look around and I don't actually buy anything. For example there's a deli shop nearby that has a great tea section with really fresh and fancy teas. My girlfriend loves green tea (she's from east Asia), so I would have liked to buy her one but they were all around 40 dollars or more per 100 grams (3,5 ounces) and that was simply not affordable for me.

• Yeah bergdorf and goodman in Manhattan
    I went in and picked up a long sleeve Armani shirt and saw it was $1200 so I put it down and walked right out

• I won't buy nothing at Rite Aid Pharmacy their prices are over priced too
    what stuff they sell you can buy at Walmart or the Dollar store for cheaper price
    i don't look for Rite Aid to last the prices for stuff is double and i know some
    woman who had a shopping cart full of stuff i though oh wow you got least
    $50.00 more i just looked but yeah i can't afford them high price places
    but some people do it without blinking a eye ,

• You mean like every time I go in an expensive store and walk out without buying anything? Well yeah duh.

• "Duh"? You've never heard of people wasting money or buying things they can't afford.
      there's a reason why credit card debt exists.

:P

• No I'm saying that in places like the mall, its really really common to just browse in a store without buying anything. That's probably what happens in most stores.

• Well, yeah!
      But I'm talking about you went into this store with clear intent to buy something but were shocked at the prices.

• Yeah I've done that. Unless it's because I have some sort of good relationship with the owner of the business or it's something I needed to have day before yesterday I usually won't even be bothered to go beyond a quick glance.

• Yes I have no use staying their to shop when you can get the same items elsewhere cheaper. Even walked out of a restaurant once cause the prices where too high.

• Yes same with restaurants, I won't get nothing at Arbys because of prices and neither will I shop at Harris Teeter due to how high they price their groceries

• Definitely done that! I walked out of the store with zero fucks given. :-P

• Lot many times and still do. I sometimes visit a store just to look around what all they've got and their prices. If there's nothing I that really want, or if the item I was looking for was priced higher there, I just walk out.

• Yes I have

• To many times... specially now in my country.

• Yep I have walked out for prices and bad service

• I'm frugal but at times have walked out because I know I could get a tool or something cheaper at a pawn shop or something.

What Girls Said 11

• All the time! Sometimes it's nice to go into luxury stores to window-shop, but if the only item I can afford in a store is a keychain, why would I waste my time falling in love with things I can never have? I can't even walk through Holt Renfrew's to get the other side of the mall - I have to walk outside.

• yes this happens to me very often lol

• Oh most definitely! Some might call it being cheap I prefer to think of it as wisdom (and not being a sucker)

• I think it is wisdom too the reason people have money is because they are good with it :D

• Yes. Happens mostly in retail stores downtown.

• $200 for a fancy scarf? LOL NO THANK BYE MY GRANNY CAN MAKE THE SASE ONE

• Maybe once or twice. But thats when I was shopping in Soho.

• Yeah my mom does that sometimes when I go to the store with her :P

• All. The time.

• quite a few times

• Maybe once or twice.

• No. I like window shopping regardless. But I do feel unconrtable because I feel like that sales associates are judging me