My boyfriend says dream job are stupid and pointless cause there's so little money in it. But I really what to follow my dreams what do I do?

I want to be a cook and by a writer on the side. But my boyfriend says that stupid thing to be cause there's no real money in either on of thoughts things. He says I should stop being stupid and get a real job like in the industrial indestery. It really makes me sad cause I really want to follow my dreams.

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, that's basically a matter of opinion. Some people are extremely materialistic and only care about money and power. So for them, all that counts is that a job pays well and perhaps that it gives you power, even if you actually hate that job.

Personally, I think following your dreams is all that counts. It might not make you a rich person but... who gives a fuck? What's important in life is to be HAPPY, not to be rich (you don't need to be rich in order to be happy). I had the possibility to study economics or law at one of the most prestigious universities in my country. I could have become some kind of hedgefond manager or something like that and made millions. But it's not what I want. I have a dream job and it's something different. It doesn't pay as well as being a banker or a lawyer but it's something I'm passionate about. And to be honest with you, I think it's much more important to get up in the morning and look forward to going to work instead of being rich but feeling like jumping off a bridge every day you get up.

What Guys Said 5

• Eh well he is right that it's kinda hard to make money with those two careers. Although you should do something you hate just to make a lot if money, it's nice to have a balance.

You could try to open a restaurant that you own and cook for. You'd warn more money that way than just being a cook. Only issue is you'd need to be able to lead and accept risk since new buisnesses in the food/service industry have a high fail rate.

Then if your restaurant becomes successful you could be a writer on the side, but that's even less likely to make money in my opinion.

• Chefs can make a lot of money potentially. I say screw him and follow your heart.

• Follow your dreams, follows your dreams, you'll have no regrets and if your dream changes , follow that one ,
    Don't follow money
    I took culinary art, I went to school for it , found it wasn't for me, I have no regrets

• ''industrial indestery.''

Ehm.. what?

• Well, you should just not even consider writing to be a job until you get lucky and it is. You should consider it to be a heavy hobby that you are doing to make YOURSELF happy. If you start getting published or whatever, great, but 99% of the time that ain't gonna happen, and even if it does you're not going to see a livable wage.

Being a cook is more reasonable, restaurants are everywhere and they all need cooks.

You really do need to think about the economy and opportunities available when considering what you want to do, but I gotta say there is a TON more stuff out there than industrial industry and you're boyfriend is a dummy for trying to pidgen hole you. Go to college, leave the loser, live your life.

What Girls Said 0