Is it rude when someone asks how you are, you tell them how you are but do not ask how they are?

Most Helpful Guy

• So like this?
    Person 1: Hey how are you?
    Person 2: I'm doing alright. Thanks.
    Person 3: Cool :)

I personally wouldn't say it is rude since you shouldn't necessarily expect a question back, but it can lead to an awkward stand still in the conversation if you don't ask back.

Also, some people may find it as offputting if you don't ask back, since it may lead them to interpret it as "Oh, she doesn't want to talk" or "I'm bothering her." It especially could be like that if you put a short reply like "I'm doing..." alright/ok/fine/etc..

Good rule of thumb is to put a quick "wbu?" on the end. And, if you forget in the first response and he reacts to it already, just ask when you get a chance. It keeps the conversation going and leads to a starting topic :)

Most Helpful Girl

• No, it's not rude.

I don't think you should look for an offense that isn't there.

Sure, it's thoughtful if someone asks how you are back.
    But why use that has a reason to be mad?

What Guys Said 2

• wait okay so in this scenario i asked you "how are you?" and you reply back to me "how are you? and please don't ask me how i am doing"

• Sometimes i forget and feel bad about it. But it hapeens... : /
    But we shouldn't think much about that, it's not important.

What Girls Said 3

• not really. if you say "im good, thanks" then you kinda end the greeting and dont just leave them hanging. as long as you say thankyou, ur fine :)

• not really.. sometimes people forget.. but it is nice to do that

• Probably I do it all the time though. Not even trying to be rude I just consider it a way of saying hi. Like hi how are you doing? But yeah I think it could come off as rude