Women, what are your reasons behind NOT breastfeeding in public?

Personally, I do not plan on breastfeeding in public unless there's no other alternative. The primary reason behind my choice is simply because you don’t know who the f*ck you’re dealing with once you are in public. When it comes to general populace, there’s really no way to know who you may encounter. As someone who is informed and very aware of what type of chameleon like predatory people we cross paths with, I feel that my child’s safety and doing my best not to exploit a very intimate act is more important than trying to evolve the perspective of bare breasts. In addition to humbly accepting that I cannot change the mass amount of people who have been conditioned to sexualize breasts, I’m also aware of the perverse community who fetishizes breastfeeding. There is a less talked about layer of society where people get off on breastfeeding. This is apparent in pornos online where people incorporate breastfeeding into sexual acts otherwise known as erotic lactation. There’s a scene in ‘The Hills Have Eyes’ where a rapist forces a mother to let him drink her milk while he holds a gun to her baby’s head after watching her breastfeed in public from afar. I don’t doubt there are psychopaths, sociopaths, and perverts who would actually do something like that or got off on that scene. On a lovely day at your local park, community pool, or a wonderful meal in a restaurant, there are sex offenders, UNREGISTERED sexual crime offenders, rapists, pedophiles, and all sorts of predatory individuals. Seeing as there are ways to breastfeed by covering up or giving my child the nutritional value by having bottles prepared with breastmilk, I don’t feel there is any point in risking getting on their radar. It’s unrealistic to think there aren’t pedophiles that see a baby sucking milk from a breast and don't cultivate disgusting, sick, twisted fantasies about that baby. Some pedophiles of which are sick and bold enough to put your infant on a missing child poster.

What really solidified my decision was coming across a video on Youtube talking about what was found on the “dark/deep web”, a place where pedophiles flock to. Apparently, it’s possible to buy videos and trade pictures of mothers breastfeeding in public.

Why is it that you have chosen not to breastfeed in public or are very particular about covering up? What reasoning has led to your decision?

Most Helpful Girl

• I plan on breastfeeding my child and if my child is hungry in public, then I'll have no problem breastfeeding them. I guess the only thing that makes me hesitant about it would be the reaction of other people around me. I know lots of women like making a statement and I support that, but personally I'm not really one for confrontation. It wouldn't be pleasant to receive the dirty looks I know I would.

What Guys Said 2

• Some women don't like the idea and not comfortable doing that.

• I'm actually okay with breastfeeding in public, as long they have that cover sheet stuff

What Girls Said 5

• Foot fetishes are also a thing.
    Should women just have to wear burqas?
    Oh wait.
    Burqa porn ("veil fetishism") is actually a thing that exists.
    If it's true that women should go out of their way not to arouse any men, then women should just hide their existence from men altogether. The only possible way to 100% avoid arousing men is if they don't know you exist.
    This is actually a thing in some countries - women aren't allowed to leave the house lest they be seen by men, and it's actually forbidden to hear women's voices over radio, or for there to be images of women.

• I don't have children but I'm glad you've raised this on the website.

I want to point out, I think it's disgusting that innocent mothers are often called out as pedophiles for breastfeeding. (That's my opinion on the general question)

• WTF! How are you a pedophile for breastfeeding?

• Who in the hell! lol that doesn't even make any sense. How do they think mothers nurtured their babies when there were no cows around?

• Same reasons as you

• I think those unregistered sex offenders would just follow you home and wait until you unlock the door of your apartment and then attack dragging you into your own home to have their way.

• *gasps* oh, my!

• Its retarded to think some creep is going to get extra excited by you breastfeeding.

• For one, using the term 'retarded' is a reflection of your limited, small-minded set of vocabulary. Should you have a retarded child one day, you'll think twice about using the term to describe things you find foolish, silly, or disagree with.

Two, you are clearly unrealistic about very realistic things that happen in this world. Perhaps you've deluded yourself or closed your mind off to how many children and infants are kidnapped and never found again. Creeps and perverts tend to flock to very public places in order to find what they want.

• Its the totally uncalled for insults and your unhinged behaviour that upsets people not your posts. Trying to Bully people is out of order.

• Well darling, considering your age and the cowardice behind your critically bold yet hidden opinion, I don't find this answer to be significant. You are an adolescent, not a certified psychologist with a PhD so contrary to your mistaken belief, your idea that I'm a bully with unhinged behavior is absolutely, entirely worthless to me. :)

Perhaps next time don't be so quick to overexaggerate the value of your assumptions on a total stranger.

• When you're an adolescent, an anonymous answerer on GAG who says something like you may get to you or bother you. When you're a grown ass woman who's self-perception and worth don't revolve around the impartial, arrogant assumptions of others, it sincerely doesn't mean shit. :)