Is that stupid that i'm afraid of cats?

So i consider myself as a manly man, i'm not afraid of anything i'm tall and i i'm muscular. When i was 4 years old a cat scerched me on my face and ever since i'm afraid of cats and a lot of people laughed at me even after i told them that i am scared because of that. Do you think it's stupid? And what can i do aginst it? I've tried to pet a cat but i just can't it's because i'm so traumetised?

Most Helpful Girl

• Find a lazy fat one and just be really careful. You can tell when they're irritated - their ears and tail twitch. Stick with the back of their head and let them sniff you first.

Or pet a kitten. They can't do much damage lol. (I've had cats for years. My current one is a scratcher so I'm more careful with him.)

They tend not to like being petted on their belly or their fur rubbed backward.

Strongly suggest the kitten route. Or the fat lazy old cat route.

• Haha it's going to sound really stupid but the little kittens scars me the most.. i know that cats can't do a lot of damage but i'm just scared of cats on all sizes...

• Aww I'm sorry - I understand, I got attacked by a small dog and it freaked me out because it wouldn't stop. I had bruise marks through my jeans.

Go the fat old cat route. They're usually pretty content to be petted. Ask a friend if they have a cat you can pet.

Most Helpful Guy

• I don't get why people laugh at other peoples fears.

You're not stupid.. Its a biological reaction to make sure you aren't being stupid.

Like setting yourself on fire.. You don't because you know itll hurt.

Fears are there to be ignored and well feared.

Just pet a fu**ing cat with your finger.. Obviously itll tske some guts.

Then next step is to stick that pussy in your face

The only way to get over a fear is to face it.. Goodluck (and the slight chance that the cat scratches yo ass again.. Throw the fairy shi* and make sure its a goodnthrow

• Iv'e tried a few times but i the moment the cat gets close to me i just run like crazy.. i mean i know the cat can't hurt me so much but i'm just afraid

What Girls Said 5

• No, it's not stupid.

Often times extreme fear comes from very early on experiences.

It is an event that molds our perception as we carry on into adult life.

You were so small, innocent and vulnerable. It is that fear that leaves you incapable of petting a cat. You don't want to feel like that again.

The people that make fun of you , don't understand what trauma does to a child.
    It cripples your psyche in that aspect not allowing you to move further.

I think you should seek counseling or find ways to move past your fear.
    Go to a animal pet shop and slowly approach a cat with your arm out.
    When it allows you to pet it, you will see its your fear stopping you not the cat itself.

• This is something you have to work on in baby steps.

It's not something u will get over in one day.

• I've had my lip ripped in half by a cat, I still like them. Obviously you can't just stop being scared of them, even if it's irrational. Im terrified of a few absolutely ridiculous things too. You could work on it or not, your life won't be worse if you never get over your cat fear anyways.

• A manly man? Do you also only shed a single man tear?
    https://youtu.be/xeQLMP6O2bI

• i m more stupid.. i am scared of mice.. i could die.. :(

• Haha a girl scared of mice it's normal... all of my friend tell me that i'm an idiot and a pusst because im scared of cats..

• well you had a bad experience.. many guys are scared of different things.. they should not make fun of you..

• Not at all I'm afraid of German Shepards.

What Guys Said 4

• You're traumatized - not your fault. You can fight it by gradually exposing yourself to more scary stimuli. Start by looking at lolcats - get comfy with that. Then videos of cats. Then visit an animal shelter where they're in cages. Then visit someone with a cat. Then visit them again and pet their cat. Then visit them again and hold the cat.

You have to teach your body what your mind already knows, so to speak: that cat's aren't that dangerous.

• no isn't daft, cats can literally rip you to pieces, a friend of mine picked up a cat in error some months back and got mauled to the point they have extensive wounds and tendon damage that will probably never fully heal.

• It's a phobia, so it's not stupid. It needs to be treated if it bothers you.

• Not so much but when i see a cat on the street and i get scared i feel really stupid

• No... not stupid. People are afraid of water and other stuff for the same reason...