Is it rude to tell someone they look like a celebrity?

I was on instagram and i saw this girl and she reminded me of a celebrity so i commented it nicely "You kinda look like so and so" and she went "I dont care"
And then someone else replied to me telling me not to tell someone that they look like someone else because its rude.
Is it really rude? I've never seen it as rude before, I know if someone told me i reminded them of someone else I wouldn't be insluted. Thats just me though.

The celebrity she looked like was Ariana Grande by the way

Most Helpful Guy

• Maybe a lot of people tell her she looks like that celebrity. So she's upset that all people know her by is "The girl who looks like so and so" instead of being known as her own person.

Most Helpful Girl

• I think it is offensive for some.
    Especially if they don't like the celebrity or they may get offended because of the way you said it.

I once told my cousin that he looks like my favorite actor and he got upset because I said it while laughing and etc.

So, I would say add something nice after saying that.

"You look like ___," and then add a compliment so they would know you mean it as a compliment.

What Guys Said 11

• Only if you compare someone to a celeb that is nationally known as being ugly or really hated like say Rosie O'donald. Some guy told me yesterday he thought I looked exactly like Garrett Hedlund and it didn't really bother me even though that guy basically has a mullet in like half his movies and I hate mullets.

• If it's a celebrity that's commonly thought of as attractive, then it's a compliment.

• you were just being honest, i think honesty is sexy, it can't be wrong =)

if she thinks its offensive thats on her

• Somehow offensive for them, they don't feel special anymore because they look like someone else. Everybody wants to be unique.

• I told a girl that she looks like a celebrity and she told me not to call her that name?
    I think some girls are like that.

• It depends on the person

• It wouldn't offend me. People say I look like Peter Griffin or Drew Carey

• If it's an unattractive celebrity I could understand why she'd be upset

• Just tell them bollox...

• if you told her she looked liked carrot top then i could see the offense

• Haha it was Ariana Grande

• i dont know who that is. But maybe she doesn't like her as a person and doesn't want to be compared to her?

• I think as long as it ain't like flavor flav you should be good.

• Yup... if you tell someone they look like Justin Biever, that's just a mean insult

What Girls Said 10

• No, it's not rude unless the person disliked that celeb.
    I personally would automatically know that isn't your intent.
    I think those people just wanted to pick a fight.

• lol, gosh doesn't she have her knickers in a twist...

well i wouldn't find it rude, i would consider it a compliment, although part of me would also wish i didn't look like anyone else, even though that is pretty much impossible :P

• Lol, if she got ofended by that then I don't even want to see how she reacts when someone is actually being rude to her. o_o
    I don't think it's rude. Unless it's a bad looking celebrity or she doesn't like the celebrity, but how could have you guessed? She was the one being rude here.

• I think the way that she reacted to what you said is rude. I don't think your telling her she looked like a celebrity was rude. However, people's opinions of certain celebrities differ, so if she doesn't particularly like that specific celebrity it may have not been received very well.

• Maybe they would find it rude because a lot of people like then have major surgeries so XD not even real looking I guess?

• What was so rude about it?
    She's the rude one.
    She's probably angry because she tried to pass for a celebrity and didn't get free drink at the club one time lol jk.

• being compared too angelina jolie and the numa numa guy are too different things

it depends who you comapre the person too

• What about Ariana Grande? o: Because thats the celebrity she looked like

• she's attractive but she's a bitchy person

maybe thats why she was insulted

• No, of course it's not rude..

• 0_0 I don't think so
    But I've never been told I look like a celebrity so I don't know.

• How is that rude?
    Unless the celebrity is ugly or something, which isn't likely.