Why do people think America doesn't have a history?

It has a history and it starts way, way before 1776. Unlike many other countries histories, it has many points of view: Enslaved Africans, Native tribes, various immigrants etc. It's a big country, so every region has its own culture. How can people think America doesn't have a history? Your country may be thousands of years old, but so much can happen in 500 years too.

Most Helpful Guy

• Those who think that America doesn't have a history , are simply showing their ignorance; Its not something I have heard often from knowledgeable people/ The sand and the clay that forms America wasn't trucked in at the last minutes when Columbus could be seen by Hispanola. So its pure ignorance, Where I live there are vestige of civilisation that date back 6,000 years ago, The land has more or less the same age on the planet , and not being an expert, I would not know how long humans have toiled our land. Probably as long as the rest of the world.

here is something to share and there is so much more its not even funny

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teotihuacan

Most Helpful Girl

• I think many people think Americans don't have a history as there is a huge emphasis on the history from the civil war onward which in the grand scheme things, was fairly recent. However, another reason is that in comparison to other countries, the United States of America history (from when it was first formed, not with the natives) is very short. I find it unfair to say America doesn't have culture as it is a huge mishmash of different cultures but what it does lack is a national 'identity', for lack of better expression. Many countries have their cultures based upon places of history, castles and monuments as well as language and food and a monarchy. The majority of American buildings from the very early stages haven't survived and what has has been built in the past 250 years. Americans never had their own language, just adopted the British one and American cuisine is mostly non-existent. They obviously never had their own monarchy either (not that this is a bad thing) but were always a republic. Think about the UK and what emphasis the tourism trade put on the royal family as part of our 'culture', even if there is widespread distaste for them

What Guys Said 22

• Never met someone who thought America doesn't have a history... Met LOTS of people who are EXTREMELY misinformed about what America's history entailed but never someone who thought it didn't have one.

• Johnny bravo
    Courage the cowardly dog
    Samurai jack
    Powerpuff girls (hey it was funny, mojo Jojo)
    Rocket power
    Duck tales
    Goof troop
    Dexters laboratory
    Spider-Man
    Batman beyond
    Pokemon (hey, who doesn't like pika pika)
    Digimon
    The flintstones (Barney rubble)
    Rugrats
    Hey Arnold (move it football head)
    Yu-gi-oh ( it's time to du, du, duel)
    Winx club (*sigh* I know but it was good)

Haha it's to many.

• Like others have said, what it lacks is culture.
    The native Americans did not have a sophisticated culture (compare European renaissance art / architecture / technology to what native Americans had achieved by the same time).
    And then ever since the continent was settled by Europeans, most of its culture has been appropriated from European immigrants (particularly the British) - there's very little than you can point to as being distinctly American.

• Native Americans had some of the most developed and interesting cultures anywhere you racist materialistic cunt. Sophisticated arts, religions, medicine, psychology, economy, tradition and philosophy.

• @kingme Don't be a dupe. Most of these cultures never even had the wheel. Some of them may have been quite noble, and the ones in the southwest actually did begin farming and irrigation, but most were hunter-gatherers who formed little. That's just a simple fact.

• Lol you guys are too much.

• who says America doesn't have history?

I think what people say if anything is that we don't have the history that other countries have. Consider that the middle east and other Mediterranean countries have histories that are thousands and thousands of years old while America's history really only goes back around 600 years or so

• I do not know, Sunday my wife and I were on a bike ride and passed a monument in Salt Lake City, Utah marking a site that was a settlement over 5,000 years old.

• People think the USA doesn't have a history? Sure what you said about the 500 years, but its not like history of that land started then, it had been going for thousands and thousands of years before it, most of it is lost but its still history. Plus even the recent history since it was colonized is very jam packed and interesting, some of the most interesting in the world.

• Im european and i respect americas history, i think that, for their age, they have great acomplisments. Be proud of your history, it's great. Doesn't matter if it's 300 or 2000.

• america has history it just doesn't have much culture

• America's history is filled with lies and hidden agendas.

You Americans think America's history is natural, because it ain't it all has been fixed from the beginning.

You Americans worship america like their a saint when in truth their a satan.

• Well I don't know too much American history
    but didn't the norse vikings set foot on north-america
    about 500y before columbus did?

If there's mass, there's history
    whether that history is important
    on a bigger scale, I couldn't say.

• Your right. The Vikings settled in Canada and attempted to colonize long before Columbus and left engraved stones, burial mounds, building ruins etc. The Chinese landed on the California coast long before Columbus as well and again left artifacts and interbred with local natives. Columbus was 'Johnny come lately' but since he was of modern European culture he became more palatable as a discoverer for white people to 'admire' and celebrate as the one who descovered 'America'. He actually descovered the 'Americas' and landed south of the U. S. and never actually went to the U. S. But Americans like to interpret history in a pick and choose way and like to keep things simple. So he discovered America and we won't talk about how the Asians actually discovered America after it had been discovered by the natives 10,000-20,000 years ago.

• I'm curious, who says we don't have history? We have plenty of it and influenced many cultures and countries over the years. Our time being a country or even being settled may be short in the grand time that most European, African, and Asian cultures have been around, but that is not saying we haven't had a impact on history.

• America has a history. The USA are not carriers of civilisation and its history is a piece of crap compared to Europe and Asia.

• Certainly America has a history. What it lacks is a culture.

• America is one of the most widely known histories, especially for its Civil War, which inspired other countries to revolt, as well.

• Yeah it does those people who think otherwise are idiots.

• Much can happen in 500 years, but a WHOLE FUCKING LOT can happen in 1000 or more.

• I've never heard anyone say that.

• America have history i think

• Who in the hell would think America doesn't have a history. It has as much as any other country.

• Every country has thousands of years of history. It's just that most of the American history, has only been documented within the last 200+ years because that's when the Europeans moved here, and started writing it

• I'm pretty sure most Americans think only America has a history since that's all school teaches is American history lol

• Were we supposed to teach Ugandan history?

• No, but many Americans don't even know that Europe isn't a country.

• @asker How about world history? Lol.
      Most Americans have about a grade 5 understanding of world history. Kinda sad.

• Every country has history obviously. I don't think enslaved Africans or native americans would want to associate themselves with you.
    Also, I think they meant countries. The us wasn't a country back then. How can a country have history if the country didn't even exist yet

• You don't need an official name to have a history. I'm sorry but Transatlantic Slave Trade IS a part of American history, so are the events before the Revolutionary War and interactions between white Europeans and Natives since 1492.

• Yes the land had a history. The united states is not just the land. Something couldn't happen to you if you didn't exist yet. I never said that enslaved Africans or native americans weren't a part of the history. I said they don't want to be

What Girls Said 16

• I know that America has a history. I tried to tell this to my sister and I almost had an argument with her because of this.
    Those people don't know what they're saying, they should learn before speaking about it.
    I'm not American but it I get annoyed when people say this.

• Mostly because our forefathers's accomplishments are overshadowed (unfortunately) by how stupid and obese this nation is. Nobody gives a sh*t anymore and our music reflects that. Our nation is behind Asian and European nations in education. Since I myself am a citizen, I find that extremely disappointing.

• They just say that cause they mad we bad ass. Jk but really, our history's so short that people don't take us seriously. We're essentially like the little fire cracker of a brother to the rest of the world. :o

• I think what they mean is that the history of America is not worth celebrating since it was built on African and Chinese slaves.

• Basically what history we have is fairly short compared to that of other areas of the world.

• Yeah, I agree with @PiuBelloAmante

• because the way the government has set up schools/institutions in general, they've downplayed historical facts. eff the system

• I don't know why you think that, because I certainly don't think that

• It had a history prior to the settlers but history is written not written by the conquered.

• It's bullshit because the first old world europeans that went there took their history and culture with them and implemented it in different ways.

And next to that the land itself has a long history. The history of the native people of that continent.

• Most people are aware of the recent history of the US. You're hanging around idiots if they don't think it does. Christopher Columbus? The Spanish explorers? The millions of Africans shipped over who basically built the country, the inherent racism that still exists due to it, the civil war, the Gold Rush in the north, the west and the cattle wars, the great railways, the birth of cities and skyscrapers, the great depression... I mean, you've got to be an ignorant fuck wit to think there's no history.

That said it is very very young compared to other countries.

• ... no one says that

• I think this is mainly due to the way it is taught in schools. Most textbooks leave out many important details and teach that Columbus founded America. Although they do teach about some of the way Native Americans were gotten rid of they don't go into much detail and don't mention any of the other groups of people that were also here. They want to portray the founders as heroes and not thieves so they give a very skewed version of how America came to be what it is today.

• it has a history just not a "historic" as other countries
    even its start..."look new land ! kick these people out and get our stuff we are moving in"

• because they're idiots. Everything has a history.

• maybe because, I heard that, Americans 'kills' the native Americans. native tribes have culture and genuine value that brings an important history to a country. so, the modern people should respect it for any reason, that's how we keep the 'history' itself.