Why do we HAVE to go to school?

I thought this was a free country. FORCING people to have to learn stuff, isn't freedom. If we want to be stupid, then we should have the right to. We learn the same pointless shit which is taught by moody teachers every single year.

Most Helpful Guy

• It's a form of citizenship. I have a post secondary education and looking back at the high school days now thats the "WHY" you have to learn it. It would be pretty bad if someone with a work visa knew more about your country then you. The education system where I got my high school is flawed without doubt but it does teach social skills. Without social skills it would make the world an even harder place. What you need to do is figure out what direction you want to take. There is no other subsataute then actually looking at with your own eyes what you might be interested in. Do not look at quizes " that tell you what you would be good at" there garbage I graduated high school I worked 38 jobs in two years. I got ridiculed by friends and family to the third degree but how I couldn't keep a job, lazy, stupid etc. now today the people who made fun of me are jelious of me for what I do now (except my family their proud). I hope this helps I'm sensing harshness. It's a good thing that your frazzled it's usually the second to last key that opens the door.

Most Helpful Girl

• School was mandatory so that capitalist business owners could have a complacent workforce, not for the education and betterment of the masses.

• It is the uneducated who make the complacent workforce, not the educated.

• Did not realize you were only discussing then. Sounded like you were meaning it is still that way. And how it is now is the topic of this girl's unhappiness and all the responses.

• @Red_Arrow there are still vestiges of that history within the current system, especially in the US. All the standardized testing? Doesn't actually enhance or test learning well. It definitely doesn't encourage much critical thought. I think it was Mark Twain that said not to let your schooling interfere with your education. Schooling is the process of going to school and "learning" things that are mandated by the government. An education is wholly separate from that.

What Guys Said 21

• 5|6
    • mcdonalds is better than most jobs hahaha, chance of progression, decent salary and always something to aim for

• but if you dont go to highschool at all your chances of getting a shitty job is 100%
      And im sure even fast food places would rather hire someone who graduated then someone who didn't

• The ones that graduate and end up with shitty jobs are usually the ones who sat through school bitching and moaning instead of learning.

@geeeeof Besides places like Intel, auto and diesel mechanics, medical field people (think of the thousands of people working in just one hospital), accountants, etc. all have much, much better pay, even at the lowest levels. You can go to work as a phone rep for a cable company (thousands of those, too) and get higher pay PLUS benefits! And have the opportunity to work as supervisors and managers. McDonalds is okay, but NOT beter than most jobs.

• Because knowledge is power, how do you expect to have a developed country when the population is ignorant.
    Also, the more ignorant the people are, the easier it is to manipulate them.
    Be glad you at least can go to school, others don't have the chance, and others try and get shot in the head.

• It's funny how you say that when high school in America is like the biggest piece of cake ever while kids in countries like Bhutan or Nepal walk for hours and hours every day along steep cliffs and deep valleys on narrow rocky trails and over badly constructed wooden bridges just to be able to sit in school for a while and learn something.

• Yes i agree it makes me wonder why kids are forced to go to school
    when they can basically learn everything from text books you can purchase
    there are so many home-schooled or cyber schooled and learn just as good
    even better i believe being around other youths in school can actually distract
    you from getting a good education see with me it did ,

• For adults it's a free country (so the government claims), but not for kids as their freedom is controlled by their parents. You haft to go to school and learn and get an education so you don't end up like dumb and dumber. Just be lucky you have the opportunity to go to school and get an education, as some kids around the world don't.
    media.giphy.com/media/4dBAjZ9NUU0DK/giphy.gif

• If we are going to be a First World Country we need educated people to invent, idea, imagine , and dream. School is teaching the things though not always the most relevant subjects it is good to become educated in what things are, where we came from, what is science, how to count and manage money, how to read and understand things. A country is only as good and as prosperous as its people makes it

• You don't have to. It's not a requirement. Your future in terms of jobs and some other things will be very very limited which will make your life boring. But you won't be put in jail or something like that if you don't go to school.

• When do you go back in the Morning? Thats pretty soon

• Not really, you can't have the right to something such as learning is you first haven't learned something to allow you to make a unbiased judgment

Plus your too young mentally to be capable of making these types of decisions, thats why you have to for now

• Haha, you sound young and angsty.

• You only legally have to go to school until 18 so you get basic knowledge such as literacy and basic math and science. These are necessary for survival.
    After that do whatever you like.

• This question just screams bratty 16 year old. Lol but i will say you have a point. But why would you want to be stupid?

• ROFL... and I'll take an order of fries with this rant, please. 😃

• Sorry, high school education required to work there. lol

• Being a stripper is a better job. They get paid a lot for just dancing.

• I guess you're right. Some even make six figures with no taxes. But some of us do not put a price on our integrity.

• The system is very flawed, yes but before thos system there where a lot of people who didn't know how to write or read soo there's a bit of good in it too

• When you're older, you'll look back at this question and laugh.

• go be stupid then lol

it took me 16 years to realize how important it is

• Why don't you want to learn?

• That is so true!!!

• I think I cut myself on that edge.

• Those rights are for adult American citizens, not minors.

School is more about the critical thinking and applications skills, more than the subjects themselves.

Plus adolescents needs a structured environment, or else they get into dumb shit in their free time.

• ... I'm not moody... :(

What Girls Said 15

• take a step back and really think about this question. Then punch yourself in the face.

• Oh yes, let's all be stupid. In fact, let's rename earth to Planet Stupidity.
    Great idea. Did you learn that in school?

• I'm just saying. You shouldn't force people to do something they don't want to do. Why do you think so many kids skip and act up? Because , they do not want to be there. No need in forcing someone to be where they are not comfortable

• They skip and act up because they're immature. I didn't want to be at school either, but I didn't act like a brat because I knew I needed to get an education to get anywhere in life. Unless you are going to leech off your parents your entire life or flip burgers at mcdonalds, you need to get an education. That is how you become successful in life, because that's how the world is and it doesn't matter if someone doesn't like it.

• yep noway of just not going to school unless your home schooled. its the law you have to go to school if you dont you and your parents will get in truble. sorry i know you dont want to but you have too. =/

uproxx.files.wordpress.com/.../...nt-to-go_bbc.gif

• School is supposed to help you learn all of general stuff while figuring out what is it that you wanna do. Lots of adults don't figure it out until later in their lives or before or during college. However, school is very important.

• I know how you feel girl but we need school to learn things unless you're homeschooled and you don't have to worry about going to school you can be at home

• Because without education people wouldn't be able to do most jobs. Believe it or not, most jobs require more than knowing how to work a cash register at a fast food place

• to be honest if it wasn't for school, i wouldn't know half the things i know ahha :)

• I rather live in a country with educated people then ignorant ones, so I hope this is a troll.

• To be brainwashed.

• Ikr, I so agree with you haha

• Nobody forced you to enroll but your parents or guardians...

• Yeah, and if I didn't enroll then social workers would come knocking on our door.

• Lol where do you live? Don't answer of course, I'm just saying. There are options for online schooling and stuff too that is actually run by local districts. If you hate getting up, that is always an option.

• after grade 8 i think it should be by choice

I choose to stay in school tho

• So you won't be a dummy.

• Stupidity is bad for the economy.

• Where did you learn to read and write then...