Can a girl still be feminine and be a hardcore gamer?

Do you consider playing video games a masculine hobby?

Most Helpful Girl

• I used to play WoW (it took nearly five years of my life), and I can't tell you how often I used to run around Orgrimmar and talk to people in Trade chat having people assume I was a guy - even with a female character. (Because I learned early that guys liked creating female characters to "look at".)

Can't help that the target market for players playing games like WoW and others like it is usually teenaged guys or guys in their 20s. Sure there are lots of women who played, but the percentage just wasn't there enough to let the company know who most of their players were.

I just recently picked up a PS4 and now as I game shop, I am not finding a whole lot that appeals to me. I've taken some enjoyment in playing Destiny, but other than experimenting around on other games, I find most of the ones available are teen-targeted more so than just guy-targeted.

Anyway, I guess for now it still is favouring guys to do, but women who game (like me) are still feminine. :)

• "Guys like to create female characters to look at" BAHAHAHAHAH baby u got meh rollin'! 😘😘😘

What Girls Said 17

• Yeah, I think so. I don't consider playing video games to be a "masculine" hobby at all.

• There's nothing masculine or feminine about video games themselves. They are marketed heavily to men but that doesn't make it masculine. Laundry detergent is marketed heavily to women, but that doesn't mean men don't use it.

• I don't consider video games a masculine hobby. There are so many different genres, they appeal to both men and women. I think some women can be feminine and hardcore gamers (or casual).

I am in a gaming guild that plays multiple games. Lately I am a bit more casual due to work, but if there's a new game (hello Fallout 4!), new expansion, or new raid I am there. I don't consider myself a girly girl per se, but I do sometimes wear dresses, lace, floral designs, do my make-up, etc. etc.

• I would say it's male dominated than it is masculine. I think most girls look at games as something stupid childish or immature, those girls a lame lol. I love playing games and my boyfriend thinks I'm the cutest little creampuff there is :D I'm not big into first person shooters, but I haven't had much experience with those, maybe a little more practice and I'd like them more.

• I don't often view myself as masculine, sooo... yes, a girl can be quite feminine and be a gamer. I guess I'm not a "hardcore" gamer like you're saying though. It might be split pretty evenly down the middle as far as seeking out female gamers and seeing which ones are more feminine and which are more masculine.

However, I don't think them gaming determines that. Other things in their life do. Like how they were raised, and what they prefer personally.

• Definitely. And no I do not associate video games with masculinity

• Of course, I love video games and i'm constantly picked on for how girly I am and sound a lot of the time, i've also met a lot of girls who play that are the same way as well.

• i play lots of video games, my favorites being legend of zelda and battlefield, and i also love to wear nice clothes and dress a bit girly, im pretty feminine, i love shopping, so yes, a girl can be feminine and a gamer.

• Not at all, I was hardcore into Forsaken World, and Fable also Mass Effect dabbled a bit in Gears Of War and only liked COD a little. So pretty much it's not masculine at all we all like entertaining shit, even if we aren't the same gender. Lol

• I don't think it's a manly hobby. I know quite a few "girly girls" that are into gaming and I too like to pick up my controller now and then.

• I think so. I have a few female friends that are girly... unless they're playing games then they are cussing up a storm. I never saw it as a masculine hoppy.

• No way! Both chicks and d*cks can play! More fun for everyone!

• I play games all the time sweetie. BlazBlue's my shit. Whether or not a woman plays a game doesn't dictate her femininity at all. It all depends on the girl.

• sure. she can just act feminine when she's doing other things.

• I think so.

• Video games don't affect your femininity. There's nothing masculine about sitting on your ass, pressing small buttons on a controller while staring at the tv. Being a gamer is gender neutral.

• Not unless you have to suck each other's dick while you do it.

What Guys Said 24

• Gaming is independent of gender, but yeah male gamers are easily available then females gamers cause in in males D. N. A, male have been the gatherers and hunters in the society anything challenging on physical basis weather it is virtual or real, turns those hunting instincts on, making gaming addictive and easy for us!.
    It does not mean you won't find a gamer girl! Gamer girl are also there, but rare and they barely develop addiction for gaming. I know a gager, she said she had some video game experience her username was @lerzygirl or @Lerzygirl

• It was, once upon a time. Though like many other once male-oriented hobbies that were filled with girls looking for unfiltered niches to force themselves into, those days have gone the way of the dodo. Mid 2000's onwards, I think.

Nowadays they make so much crap in so many different genres and on so many different devices and have sacrificed so many things to appeal to wider demographics (only little things like artistic integrity, seller's integrity and gameplay focus) that it can be considered a hobby for anyone, at this point.

• I don't see vidjuh games as a masculine hobby, but I do see it as a hobby that men will find interesting more than women will. More women than not find video games to be a complete waste of time/only like the ones with happy faces on them like farmville/other things classified as 'video games'.

If a girl is a hardcore gamer, then whatever. It's not remarkable like she cracked the code and cured cancer. I do that those fucking gamer girls that try and profit off of their 'uniqueness' and then cry when they get trolled like everyone else in the gaming community.

• Buddy, you need to play more games before deciding that games are masculine. I think there are about 4 in 10 games not being masculine (not counting mobile games). Ever seen a guy play The Sims? A reverse harem game? Portal? A adventure game?

There are more to Hardcore gamers than just FPS games.

• One of my good female friends is lie that. She acts feminine (does the makeup, hangs out with the girls, whatever else you say is feminine) and she also once got a 99 kills in Cod and is quite good at mario kart.

• I don't consider gaming a masculin hobby, I find it quite stupid that when a girl joins a lobby all the gamers start to flirt with her, just because they found a "girl gamer", this is also probably the main reason why we have waay more male gamers than female gamers. So yeah, I think a girl can still be fiminine and hardcore gamer :-)

• in my opinion no, video games aren't masculine in themselves. It's just that guys tend to play them more overall.

• Yes. I know and have known several female hardcore gamers, and you'd almost certainly find all of them sexy.

• There is no such thing as "masculine" or "feminine". It's an arbitrary construct. Anyone can do whatever the heck they want.

• Yes she can be, in fact a girl who video games would be a deal maker

• I consider it smokin' hot.

• I would hardly call playing video games masculine.
    Also many guys want gamer girlfriends.

• If she believes she can

No it's not masculine

It's a lifestyle

• nope, playing games in many studies have shown to make males more femine

• Of course, I don't think gaming should be restricted to or viewed as "masculine". Plenty of women and girls all around play games. I believe that a girl gamer can still be feminine as it shouldn't matter.

• nope its just another past time and it has started to become pretty mainsteam more over the years with different types of genres of games and demographics.

• Erm I forgot to add is yes they can be feminin and no games shouldn't have much of an effect on that

• Nope, I know a lot of 'Gamer Girls' and most of them aren't 'Tomboys'

• No. That's called being transgendered.

• YES!!! i love video games, ergo, i want a girl who does too... just not as much, i need a balance.

• I don't see gaming as gender-specific. I know a lot of ceminine girls who play games. lol

• Yes as long as you're not super super competitive then it gets a little annoying

• Well according to some guys who made a research, there are more female gamers than male.

• Not really or rather I don't care. I met a gamer girl recently ( who wasn't good at gaming but at least enjoyed it). Her company was fun and entertaining and she was no guy and very feminine. "Her company was fun" was all that matters.

• Video games have always been a feminine activity.

Masculine activities include lifting weights, fixing cars, building shit, fucking bitches and fucking shit up.

Playing video games is more feminine than making sandwiches, because at least sandwiches are useful.