If you thought your wife or husband died, but they turned up years later (lost at sea or something) & you remarried; Who would you choose to be with?

This has always bothered me. It happened in the movie cast away and pearl harbor. If your spouse dissappeared and was assumed dead, what would you do if they came back? Does it depend on how long they were gone? or if you have children with either spouse?
Would you go back to your first wife/husband or stay with your current one (who your only with because you thought your first love was dead)

• I would honor my commitment to my current spouse
  • I would go back to my first wife/husband
  • other

Most Helpful Guy

• This is a good question. I think the amount of time that's passed would be the deciding factor. Once enough time has elapsed you'd come to accept they're dead and have gotten closure and moved on. If they came back in this time frame you're basically strangers and I don't think you could go back.

What Guys Said 4

• If you're happy in your new marriage, then even though it's quite a shame and all, but why break up with your current to go back?

Sorry, but that boat has passed! Glad to see you alive though. Resetting things is a bit too complicated though.

https://imgs.xkcd.com/comics/wait_for_me.jpg

• Stay with the one i would currently be with, if i waited all my life and spouse got loss at sea possibly presumed dead and i remarried i wouldn't leave the current spouse to go back with someone found well and alive. They could of done anything even possibly faked their own death , people do all kinds of things ,

• Honestly I don't know this is the kind of decision I can't really make in a hypothetical situation.

• I wouldn't particularly so much honor the commitment as find it highly unlikely to find someone else who could convince me to marry them.

What Girls Said 3

• Fuck there's no way I could choose Dx I don't think it'd be easy for me to move on but then again I also think I could move on pretty easily since I deal with loss very well?
    It would depend on if I had kids too. If I had no kids and moved on and had kids by the time he came back I would stay with my second husband.
    If I had kids with the first guy I think I would focus more on them and not go looking for a second guy. Jeeze I hate this question x (

• I would go back XD

The first love is endless lol

• you want me to compare between two non existing people that i know nothing about, in a non existing scenario?