Are we all black?

Since humans or their immediate ancestors originated from africa and later spread out to the other continents does that mean we are all technically black?

As you know our skin colour is simply a result of adaptation to different enviroments. So does this also mean no matter how populous a certain race gets or how much race mixing there is, the races will always remain separate due to enviromental factors?

Just a thought that's been bugging me for a while.

Most Helpful Guy

• You could also say we are all technically Asian, or all technically Caucasian. Point of the matter is we are all human and every one of us shares 99.99% of our DNA. Your race is determined by your environment. Things like skin pigment, height, face structure, et cetera all are influenced by your environment and "make" your race, but it is still genetic.

So, even if races mix as much in the future like books in the Hunger Games predict, if a certain population of people remain in the same environment for generations, the mixing will eventually not mean much and their "race" will all change an adaption to that.

For example, people who live in hotter climates have thinner skin so they can handle the heat. Likewise, those that live in colder environments have thicker skin. If a thick skinned person suddenly moved to a hotter climate, they'd suffer for a good year or two until their body adapts to this new environment, and vice versa.

Most Helpful Girl

• No, we've now become different races, but those who aren't, just aren't anymore as of thousands of generations ago. you could say that our ancestors once were though if you want to go far back enough.

What Guys Said 9

• We are all human.

Just because out lineage originate from somewhere doesn't necessarily mean WE ARE the same as our ancestors from that origin.

• I wouldn't say black. That over simplifies the whole process. If you wanna give yourself a lable just say we are all humans. One race

• Yep. everybody has pupil...

• Does it really matter?

• Well, we all had African ancestors... it is a good thing. A strong argument against racism :)

• We're all one race actually.. The human race. The Homo Sapien race. This black , white, Asian etc etc are just 'superficial' changes that happened to adapt to our environment as the human migrated from Africa (aka the cradle of the humanity).

Race is a social construct. Notice how many times people (scientists) in the past have tried to prove there are different races and that also certain 'races' are inferior such blacks and even 'Iberian' native to Southern Europe (due to racism)
    upload.wikimedia.org/.../...tific_racism_irish.jpg

Take dogs as an example. There may be lots of different breeds but they're all fundamentally the same.. They are Canines which then belongs to Canidae

Just read all the lists people have made up to distinguish races.. Most of them are gone now like Mongoloid.. What there is ethnicity.

• A lot of the genes are still there just turned off by other genes but for the most part the rest of the world outside Africa has a more restricted genetic range, that is there are fewer alleles for a given gene. It's more like Africans are wolves and the rest of us are dog breeds.

• Isn't it just a theory though? Nobody has proven it yet right? Either way I know we aren't all fully our race. I have ancestry that trace to different ethnic groups and races so I think the race stuff is mostly a label. The thing is though culture does come with race so.. I don't know it's kinda crazy.

• Yeah but it's a theory backed up with a lot of evidence

• You don't have to convince me. I believe it.

• Race is directly environmental and just a label really.

• It's definitely in the original packaging... much to the chagrin of people who hate blacks...

What Girls Said 1

• No just your ancestors. I like this theory better than most since it brings people together