Do you believe most cops in the U. S. are racist? if so why do you think its so prevalent?

With all the news reports of Cops being racist, do you think most cops are in the U. S?

If you do, why do you think they are?

Most Helpful Girl

• Some are defiantely racist but not all. Just as some people are racist but not all. It's easy to derive the notion that all American cops are racist because it's such a media frenzy right now.

The news has a way or portraying mainly the negative sides of things, when it comes to the police they tell the horror stories for ratings and mainly ignore the good cops who are doing an honest job every day. They are out there.

Most Helpful Guy

• No. I think what happens is yes there are some who are racist and want to express their racism on other races. There are plenty of cops though who are effected by culture. In fact we all are. We all grow up into culture. That's why people like babies because they are innocent. They aren't influenced.

So you take a cop out of his comfort zone. Out of his element. Our of his environment. Then you place said cop into a new culture. A new environment. Then you ask him to secure the area. He sees a bunch of people who culturally are different than him. One guy is big and tall. Does he really know what that man is going to do to him? I mean I can see why he'd feel unsafe.

At the same time it seemed to me even in times of great racism police were more inclined to use their hands before their guns. Now days they are trigger happy.

What Girls Said 4

• Most? No.
    Incompetent. Yes.

• Most cops illegally forsake their responsibility to serve and protect.

• no I don't think most are some but not most

• I think this comment will cause a lot on controversy lol...

What Guys Said 9

• It's not prevalent. The media overhypes this issue big time; they should be focusing on the lack of economic recover or nuclear weapons, and the root causes of problems in the places where this stuff is happening. The notion that cops are mostly racists is bigoted and idiotic.

• I believe so, by a small margin at least. I think a badge and a gun give these kind of people a power trip. Maybe the cops just have stereotypes deeply ingrained in their psyche and unintentionally tend to base their judgement on ethnicity.

• No I personally do not believe that

• I really can't comment on the attitude of cops because to be honest I have never talked to one but I think body cams for all officers on duty is a must to avoid any situations developing.

• Probably because blacks (and other minorities, typically poor) DO disproportionately commit crimes... so it becomes easy to associate "black" with "criminal."

• I hate to admit it but you are right about poverty leading to crime, and since African-Americans tend to be poor, that is somewhat logical. That still isn't reason for cops to be racist.

• If by racist you mean they automatically assume they are more likely to have trouble with a black person I'd say yes most of them do. As to why I'd say experience and confirmation bias. Hard to overlook what's in front of you every day.

• No just severely suffering from mental retardation from spending too much time on their GTA police simulator.

• Can you idiots stop bashing the police, It's getting old. I have family and friends in law enforcement. And because of all this crap on the media a close friend of mine got shot at random by some 15 year old kid while sitting in his car on lunch. He survived and is doing well but he is so far from racist. His girl friend of 6 years is black and gets along with everyone. So just because he is a white police officer he was shot and left for dead by some piece of shit.

People think that being white in this day and age is so perfect. Do you realize how many fingers are pointed at us? Anything we do is wrong and is racist to the world.

Sorry for the rant but its just starting to piss me off.

• Its a generalisation to say all cops are racist in the same way it is to say that 2/3 black men are criminals or past criminals.

• So you believe the media just blows it out of proportion?

• Sensationalism sells.