Religious people, would you be offended if someone referred to your religion as 'mythology'?

Like 'I love to read christian mythology!'

woulld you take offense?

Most Helpful Girl

• nope, no offense taken. I was raised Catholic, but don't consider myself one anymore. To me, it's not much more credible than something written by the Brothers Grimm (Snow White, Sleeping Beauty). Some fictitious stories preaching the whatever the 'moral of the story' may be.

• Your opinion is meaningless because you aren't part of the Catholic religion anymore.

• @Punkbuster107
      No, I don't associate myself with the church. Regardless, that doesn't mean the religion doesn't affect me in any way seeing as how I was raised following it, and all of my family is still with the church.

• So people can say anything they want about Jesus, and you wouldn't even care. You have turned your back and your Love from Jesus Christ, and yet you're claiming that you have some extra authority on this issue just because of how you were born, and where you go on Sundays.

Of course you aren't offended by what people say about Christ, because you've metaphorically divorced from him. Conversely, people who are still married to him will still be offended by things that don't bother you, so your opinion is not relevant to the conversation.

And your family going to church doesn't give you any right to represent Christ.

Most Helpful Guy

• "Greek mythology, hindu mythlogy christian mythology" in the context of specific events or stories sounds pretty benign to me. It's when you blanket the entirety of their religion as "mythology" that is a bit ignorant. When you attack religion, you attack culture, family, tradition, etc. That's not all mythology.

• You forgot superstition in the 'you attack' list.

• You can attack superstition without attacking the whole religion.

What Girls Said 8

• I'm not religious, but I always wondered this much: If someone has a good relationship with their god, and they have strength in their faith -- then why should anyone make them feel offended. Unless their religion was so weak and they themselves were not stable within their faith would I understand that. It's feeling secure enough with what you believe. If someone feels so threatened, then maybe their religion is a tiny bit in question within them? So many religions are being given up these days. The new generation of Millennials are quickly rejecting different religions altogether. If people who still believe really felt like the rest of the world is wrong, then what anyone says really shouldn't matter now, should it?

I'm not saying this to be facetious, but in all seriousness. Why should one's opinion of their religion even make one blink? You should be strong enough to know that what anyone says doesn't matter and to go about your business with your life and your faith to even bother with finding the time to be offended by someone's words who don't even share your faith.

That's what I would think should be applied to a lot in life when it comes to things you're connected with. If your married and someone hates your wife, too bad, she's your wife and you defend her and knowing what the other person says isn't worth your time. If you have a job and people make fun of it, too bad, you enjoy it, and what people say matters none. If someone says something about your faith - who cares, you know what you love and what you believe in, so why bother getting all offended over things non-believers say. It just doesn't matter, does it?

• Yeah, it's like would you get offended if someone said "Your dad isn't real!". I'd just laugh if someone said that.

• Yes, @djvtech Precisely. :) If I'm secure enough with what I know, or what makes me happy, what someone says otherwise means nothing.

• No.
    Unless it's meant passive aggressively to insult.

we refer to Greek religions and Japanese and Chinese religions stories as lore and mythology.

Either we don't call any religious texts mythology or Christianity shouldn't get special treatment.

Just simply being fair :p

• But nobody actually believes, or has reason to believe that those mythologies have any historical basis.

A large percentage of intelligent, hard-working, critically thinking human beings recognize the Bible as a source historically accurate information.

• @Punkbuster107
      Ummmm excuse me? Many of the Chinese believe in these stories.

Almost all mythology has some basis of truth. If people didn't believe their texts why would they be in those religions?

• The opinion I posted below expresses my feelings on the matter with more clarity than my comment here did.

• Yes. That's clearly a passive aggressive, nasty way of demeaning and minimizing someone's personal belief system. It's rude. If someone was rude enough to say something like that to me, they better be ready for a sassy reply.

• I would either be offended or I would assume the person is arrogant, unprincipled and lacklustre in their emotions and thoughts. I am not referring to a lack of intelligence but a lack of wisdom.

• If your God is real and you are going to heaven or whatever why would it even matter?

• Lol of course they would haha

• As an agnostic I feel like that's a bit rude. Almost like you're purposely trying to rile them up.

• yup. sure would

• yes

i dont like atheism and dont agree with it but i still respect them (the ones who have some brains at least)

• +1 Not sure why so many atheists feel the need to disrespect other's religion in order to express themselves then want to wonder why so many people don't like them.

• Not sure I met anyone that was so sure about everything in the universe.

• lucky you then lol

What Guys Said 14

• I suppose not, it's just how you go about it. If that's what you call it then that's what you call it. However, if you are being spiteful about it then I might get angry. This is the case for a lot of things. If an atheist said in a conversation, "I don't believe in a god because I believe in evolution" or something like that I would have no problem. It's when you have atheists out of no where and with no respect saying stuff like, "All Christians must be mentally handicapped! What idiot would believe in a god?" I have dealt with both types and I like the first kind more.

• Until it is proven otherwise, it is all mythology. Even my Paganism is all based on mythology, but I try to live by it's meaning!

• If you said it on stage, or as a public message where there was no room for dialogue, I'd be offended.

If you said it in a context where I felt free to question you in response and have an intelligent debate about the historical value of the Bible, then I would be delighted, and we may grow to respect each other's thought processes despite our opposing conclusions.

Christians feel the same way when you openly proclaim your beliefs as you do when we openly proclaim ours. Just remember that there is a time and place for everything.

You you should only make controversial statements about polarized subjects if you're ready to have your statement challenged by others.

• Well it kind of comes off as a, and I am going to use the colloquel term, dick thing to do. Unless you where directly reffering to the actual christian mythology ie the holy grail, spear of destiny etc. Though to be fair I am agnostic so I can't really speak for them. It does however come off as a bit pretentious ( giving the impression that you feel intellectually superior enough to consider there entire belief structure as essentiall without merit)

• Yeah It's rude to say that about somebody actively practicing said religion.

Have some basic respect and tact.

• I've heard worse.

• Not really. It's sound like they were using the word in a more general sense.

but even then, Christianity doesn't have many actual "myths" to begin with, even in the scholarly sense of the word.

• Every single story in the bible could be considered a 'myth'?
      Jonah and he whale, Noah's ark, David and Goliath, the nativity, they're all parts of the mythos

• With the Greek or Egyptian religions, the myths feel almost independent of one another.

Then there's the fact that many mythoi couldn't even agree on their own canon. For example, some sources said Eros, the god of love, was the son of Aphrodite, while others said he was a primordial god who came into being alongside Gaia and Tartarus and such. Some sources said that the diety who protected Ra from Apep (sometimes called Apophis by the Greeks) every night was Set/Seth, while others said it was Sekhmet. There are no such disputes within Christianity (although to be fair, the three Abrahamic religions do disagree on which of his children Abraham almost sacrificed; Muslims say it was Ishmael, while Jews and we Christians say it was Isaac.)

• @throwit Yes. The scholorly sense of the word "myth" doesn't necisarily have anything to say on whether the story in question is fact or not. However, it's still worth noting that the stories in the New Testament all feel so little like myths at all to me. They all seem to be missing some crucial element that I can't put my finger on.

• as a person following a religion its not my job to be offended, but to do good and leave the rest to he who knows best.

• I would be offended only when someone came and said my religion/all religions were just a lie... This is rude;I guess I wouldn't tolerate.

• Nope I mean u don't believe in it so u would find it a mythology

• I wouldn't care, my faith is not something I discuss. I don't like organized religion anyway.

• a little... but that's mostly because i'm the engaging type.

• No, but it's an indication that they don't believe it, and is almost always followed by a lecture I'm not interested in.

• If my grand parents were here on GAG instead of me they would have ****** you...

• What I find amazing is that people that are such hardcore believers are offended when other people do not believe their fairy tale. Why should they care?