Why do we say "I took a shit" even though we technically "left a shit"?

why O. o

in my opinion "I left a shit" doesn't sound half as bad as "I took a shit".

Have you ever asked someone why they took the shit that they said they took? Did you ever tell them how filthy they are for TAKING a shit? Who TAKES shits?

I respect you if you left a shit because everyone leaves shits... But taking one?

ugh you filthy, nasty pig you.

Most Helpful Guy

• Your question although, is reasonable but however it lacks much thought and analysis. Let's take a look into this subject more deeply. The comparison you have proposed "I took a shit" and "I left a shit" is completely different.

In the first sentence, you have to realize that the word 'shit' is used as a verb, not a noun - I want to shit. When someone is saying 'take a shit', the whole phrase becomes a verb itself therefore the word 'take' assumes a different meaning (unlike giving and taking)

In the second sentence however, the same words are used but in a different context. "I left a shit" in this sentence, you can clearly see that shit is now used as a noun (no longer a verb) and the word 'left' is the verb within the sentence that manipulates the object (which is shit).

In conclusion you can see that in the two sentences, the word 'shit' is used in different forms thus meaning that you cannot compare the two sentences and the political correct term for releasing human waste would be 'taking a shit'.

• okay for fuck's sake

I slam dunked my pellets.
      I excommunicated my waste.
      "I abandoned shit".

What Guys Said 11

• Hahahahaha! I love this question, you cracked me up with this! best question ever. I agree you are leaving a shit not taking one. I have never asked anyone why they took a shit they said they took but maybe I should ask the next person LOL. In all honestly I actually left a shit today in a public toilet lol.

• Congratulations! Don't flush your toilet next time because

@Red_Arrow is probably a shit stealer! Hit him up or something, so he can legally take a shit instead of stealing one!

• Some people will steal anything.

• I've yet to witness "shit stealing".

• Leave a shit it a public toilet without flushing. Come back an hour later. It will be gone. Someone stole it!

And you are the one who asked about people who take a shit.

• Just because I'm 16 and mostly likely old enough to be your daughter you'd think I would believe that.

Yes, I know what a toilet is capable of. And yes, I know how to trigger the little whirlpool of wonder in the toilet that sucks up shit and piss and whatnot.

• Half of the time I don't even give a shit.
    Not that I own any to begin with. 😂

• I never could grasp that concept myself. You always here I don't give a shit, when people actually do all the time in toilets

• This is why we can't have nice things...😪

• Ah the English language, filled with such wonderful verbiage as;
    Fuck yourself - difficult to say the least
    Piss off - just seems messy

• haha, I've never thought of it that way :p

English is a complicated language lol. there are so many words that are spelt and pronounced the same way but with different meanings.

address
    book
    bat
    the list goes on

• Your list of words don't quite agree with your point sir.

• yes they do lol.

address - to address someone or a home address
      book - a book you read or to book an appointment
      bat - a baseball bat or a flying mamal

• I think it depends on whether you're using shit as a verb or a noun.

• Took a shower, took a bath. ... all connected to what u do in the bathroom
    N taking shit is included, also saying left a shit is the real disgusting sentence! ...

• Omg i've been living a lie :O

• Someone in my household is disgusting as fuck

What Girls Said 3

• Haha I didn't really think about it, oh this inside joke

• I don't know why but this q made me nauseous.

• The fact that no one is taking me seriously is making me feel the same way.

• LOL best question ever 😂😂😂