Feminism has outlived its usefulness in the United States. Agree or Disagree?

I've seen arguments on both sides of this, where do you stand?

• I agree feminism has outlived its usefulness in the U. S.
  • I disagree, feminism is still useful and needed in the U. S.
  • I'm undecided

Most Helpful Girl

• In the US, I don't think it's needed. I actually asked a question recently about what feminist think should be improved or still needs work in Western Culture and I was pretty disappointed that no one answered or not with very much information. I was genuinely curious if I was missing any real equal rights issues in the US and I wanted to know about them but nothing came of it really.

Most of the issues I have a problem with in Western Culture are society/double standard related issues. And those go for and impact both males and females. I do support speaking out against that.

And I support feminism for other countries/places where it's needed.

Most Helpful Guy

• When you start focusing on how men sit with their legs open... yes, it's been outlived.

• I agree. Just because we don't sit in such a way that we crush our nuts, we need to be controlled and forced to sit differently. Yet at the same time women don't want to be told what to do with their bodies.

• That isn't why they don't like it. Even when a guy is sitting all by himself women don't like to see guys sitting with our legs open. If it was about space they would be complaining about how other women sit with their purses beside them and they aren't complaining about that.

They find it obscene like we are putting our junk on display. They just don't have a good excuse saying they don't like looking at it so they are stretching for an excuse to tell us what to do. Some women even want to make adjusting or scratching our balls in public into a crime. These are just women that hate men. We really need to stop listening to ridiculous complaints, and see them for the sexists that they are.

• @heavensgift2girls I know what the real reason is, but they use the excuse of space use cause it sounds more "reasonable".
      static01.nyt.com/.../...ADING4web-articleLarge.jpg

What Girls Said 13

• Women in America are still unable to have abortions, women are still unable to access birth control, women are given weaker sentences for pedophilia, men usually don't get custody of kids in a divorce (though statistically, they don't usually ask for it), people still get uncomfortable when men are at a playground with their kid, breastfeeding is still shamed in public etc.
    feminists are the only group who is trying to change these things. So I do not think feminism has run its course, there is still plenty more that needs to be fixed.

• Yes i would love it more if feminists address mens rights too as well as women. There's men who get falsely accused of rape and have their lives ruined by it and the women involved don't get punished at all. thats a problem that should be addressed more

• 9. Sabrina Rubin Erdely: an ex writer for the Rolling Stone magazine wrote in detail in an article about a brutal gang rape at the University of Virginia Frat house of a woman named Jackie. Major discrepancies and errors were later discovered and rolling stone magazine recanted the article and she was fired. en.wikipedia.org/.../Sabrina_Erdely

• It's terrible that this stuff happens. But feminists and non feminists alike are equally upset about it. False accusations just make people hate feminism more (because obv feminists control how all women act I guess?)

• I am on a grand jury for the past couple months where the only victims we don't believe are the women alleging rape. People whose stories are inconsistent we believe. People who testify against the physical evidence we believe. People who pick the wrong photo out of a lineup the first time are trusted to be right the second time they try. But our discussion about our last case last week was that we didn't want to indict a man for sexual assault until there were at least two women accusing him, 'cause when it is just one woman versus one man, we don't want to risk hurting him by believing her. My reason of the day for still thinking men and women aren't treated equally in the U. S. yet.

• There is no need for feminism in the US, they should instead focus their energy on places in hard need of women's rights movements - like the middle east.

• So you don't believe women's power are below mens in the US still?

• I believe it's time, and not "feminist movements" that can change that. Maybe men highest positions are outweighing women in the US (Not only the US of course, but that's what we're discussing here) But they also hold the lowest. Women are now more likely to graduate college than men now, with time I believe we will be even more equal than we are now.

• I voted for undecided.
    I don't know much about th situation in US and whether feminism is needed there or not. But it sure as hell is needed in third world countries..

• oh definitely, Is it hard to be a woman where you live?

• ohh wow sounds bad. how have you managed to do well though?

• @asker : I've done nothing except tried to make people (especially women here) become aware of their rights..
      I'm pretty much useless as a 'so called Feminist.'

• Civil rights activism hasn't been outlived in this country yet and neither has feminism. I agree that it's not needed as much as it once was, but the opinion on a woman's power is still below men in this country. Again, it's not as much as it used to be, but it is still there.

• "a woman's power is still below men in this country" in what ways?

• Women definitely have more have rights than men it comes to the criminal justice system, women can get half the time that a man does, for the same crime pretty much.

I personally don't think men should have a say so on abortion but I think it's morally wrong to not consider your partners feelings. The bottom line is women have to bear the physical burden, could you imagine the issues that it would cause if a man made a woman carry a child and she had health issues relating to it.

I think men need to be smart and realize that women carry the upper hand in the final decision of having a child or not and that the risk of pregnancy starts at sex and the decision to have sex. You do have rights, you have the right to not stick your dick somewhere unprotected. And I don't think it's necessarily a "women have more rights" issue, it's a physical difference between men and women.

• bare not bear* lol just pictured a huge bear reading that.

• I thought so to for awhile but then I became a certified carpenter and started looking for work. I was flat up told by three people that they don't hire Wemon. There is a perception that girls cannot do labor jobs dispite my qualifications. It's a shitty deal but I understand the beliefs that people still hold. My point is that we still need feminism to keep the progress we have made to date. I don't want to live in a world where Wemon can't be carpenters and men can't be nurses.

• Then stop expecting men to pay for the date, be chivalrous, and in general holding men to that sexists standards of society because all of that plays a role in the sexism that manifests itself in the workforce

• Yeah, because workplace discrimination is *obviously* on par with individual choices and expectations in a relationship. JFC and this country doesn't "need" feminism.

• Yeah I agree.

• White cis feminism has outlived its usefulness. Intersectional feminism still has its uses.

• Until women are no longer blamed for rape and are paid the same as men there is a need for feminists.

• If you really look into it, the pay wage haven't been proved to actually exist.
      And if there still is need for women's rights activists on based of "women being blamed for rape" then surely there is a need for mens rights activists too? Men get their lives ruined by false rape or pedophilia claims, both are problems women don't have to deal with.

• Feminism has evolved to become a blanket term for many kinds of activism. I am a feminist. I support LBGT rights, activism against rape and other sexual violence of all kinds, etc. Feminism has become much more than just activism for female rights.

• Until I see something good come from feminism I will still believe they have outlived their usefulness. No longer blamed for rape? Do you remember the Rollingstone incident? When they asked no questions and ruined a man's life by plastering him as a rapist before he even had a trial? He was innocent and it was false but he was still booted from society even after proven innocent. Feminism did that. Feminism also disrupted meetings for male rape victims and male spousal abuse victims multiple times. They have been trying to make anything a man does that isn't subservient to women illegal. When feminism clears itself of all the psychos maybe it will be useful again

• Agreed. Egalitarianism is where it's at.

• I agree, and in other countries, usually English speaking ones.

• Men and women are NOT equal yet! Therefore feminism is needed! SIMPLE!

• Very much still needed.

What Guys Said 20

• We need to switch to gender equality instead of feminism. Feminism is now doing more harm than good.

• feminism has been stupid for fifty years now

• Feminism needs to focus it's efforts on more important issues than "manspreading" etc. I wouldn't say it's outlived it's usefulness because it is still needed in certain areas but feminists just need to focus on important stuff.

• we are at a point now, where we even have to start to worry for the males of our upcoming generations... so yes, definitely.

• I think the problem with feminism is that it's too one sided; females do have a harder time with equality, but by only focusing on one side and ignoring the other it just increases the distance between men and women... Which is so stupid because it's completely counter-productive. With that said, egalitarianism is the right way to go, no more one sided blame.

• I wish that were true.

• I think it's outdated and needs to change but it is still needed.

• Feminism is about women having equal rights. If you get rid of feminism that would mean women losing the right to vote, the right to an education, equal pay. They would be treated like 2nd class citizen again.

Feminism will always be needed.

• I agree so much with this lol.

• I'm undecided

please don't hurt me!😱

• Do you agree with lePoivre that womens power is still below men in the US?

• It would be nice if she was more specific.

When it comes to reproductive rights and divorce courts I think women have more power.

• Feminism needs to make sure that women no longer feel entitled for free dinner.

• Too lazy to explain so im going to disagree and be done with it

• Definitely. As if middle class white women are totally oppressed and have no rights...

And yet, they don't do a thing about women in the Middle East, Africa and Asia who have little to no rights at all! Those are the places where feminism is needed.

• Of course it is still necessary.

• The fact that feminism is under almost constant assault from men in the US means it's still desperately needed.

• yeah, it's the age of alpha male , rise up brothers and sing the song " i am sexy and i know it "

• It has been outlived for a long time now.

• Yes, it has.

• Yes. I mean, now more girls are getting accepted into colleges then guys... and they still are the ones who need all the special "women in

• I disagree I think it's still needed. Women aren't going to lose their need for social support. That's natural and ingrained in their brains.

• women don't need social support. if they do they need to get back in the kitchen

• Hahaha.