Why do people praise dad's for being in their child's life when that's what they suppose to do?

Most Helpful Guy

• Because people appreciate good parents and acknowledge their sacrifice? I mean it's also important to appreciate somebody even though that's what they are supposed to do...

I mean if a firefighter rescued you, would you not praise his action just because it's his job?

: Wow, thank god you're saved from that fire. That firefighter is brave to save you

:Mehhh.. That's his job.

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, that's what they're supposed to do. But don't forget that there are fathers who don't care about their children.
    And maybe that's why fathers who support their kids are praised.

What Guys Said 4

• Why are women praised for having a job and providing for their family when that's what they're supposed to do?

It's all gender roles. Men are the ones who work outside the house all day, while women work inside all day. If a man also plays a big role in the child's life, he's praised. If a woman works and provides, she's praised.
    It's stupid, I know.

• well mainly because women have a choice over their sexual reproduction. they don't choose well and when they do the man is praised.

• I've seen many times where the woman makes it as hard as possible for the father to see his children. Most of the time the father must go to extreme lengths to see a child they have no right to, and are still expected to be responsible for.

• What I said above only applies if you are talking about divorce.

• A lot of women try to bar dads from being with their kids and prevent them from forming a father child bond.

What Girls Said 3

• Because there are quite a few who aren't, so when they are I guess it's good to encourage that.

• Because not all dads are there for their child :/
    My biological parents are gone

• i completely agree with you. like, duh! what makes them so special. while us mothers get no praise at all. but get slapped on the hand if we make one bad move!

• women are the people who choose to have a baby. the man is more or less trapped.

• a guy can use protection if he doesn't want one. but thats a little irrellevant to her question. but thank you for the comment. i get what you're saying.