Should a white person sing along to a song that has the word "nigger" in it?

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• Fuck that, of course I do! y'all acting like scared babies about this crap. If it's in a song, it's part of the "lyrics". It's not like your calling a person that, you're singing along to a damn song. If the people who wrote the song have a problem with it, then don't put words in the music that are"off limits" to say. Oh that's right they can't because that would be reversing the censorship laws everyone fought so hard to stand up for. Still freedom of speech, you don't like it I'm not gonna loose sleep over it.

Most Helpful Girl

• should they? absolutely not.

can they? i mean, if you want to, go for it. but you can count on me picking a fight about it.

and i genuinely do not care how unfair you think it is that someone else gets to use it when white people dont. white people gave up the privilege of being able to say the word when they dedicated the word as a tool of oppression.

and overall this is all i have to say: https://vimeo.com/43636793

no, it's not a double standard, and it's not unfair at all - it's common decency.

What Guys Said 11

• As long as no black people are around, it's okay. Otherwise, you should keep yourself safe and refrain from saying the word. Some black people will stomp you out for saying it. I'm black, and this is definitely not the first time I have answered this question.

• white people can say whatever they want
    although its disrespectful and derogatory, they still have the right to say what they want

its not about white and black either, no one should use derogatory words, out of respect for one another

rappers you the N-word in songs all the time! where is the out cry to have these songs censored and banned?

• That would be racist in and of itself to ban a song for an entire race. I get that it's a bad word, and no one should be using it, but it is in a song. You shouldn't say the word, but that doesn't mean you can't sing a damned song. If the word is so horrible why is it used and distributed so much? The only way to get rid of it is to either stop EVERYBODY from using it or try and get rid of its meaning. Should we ban old books for having inappropriate words in them? You can't just put a word everywhere and get pissed when people use it! That's ridiculous.

• Chris Rock answered this quite well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RKEh7Qyo4KA

• To declare that people of one race may do something but those of another race may not is purely racist.

• Should a white person sing along to a song that has the word "nigger" in it?

No person of ANY race should even be listening to it. . . . let alone be singing along.

• I don't think I would do it out in the street - Too racially sensitive - Why invite hassle?

• It's a fucking word. People should get over it.

• Easy for you to say, you are not an African American.

• What the fuck is wrong with you people?

• Motha fucka you in your profile picture naked. What the fuck is wrong with YOU?

• If there isn't any other black people around sure... however a lot of people don't care for it.

• That's stupid. That's like saying be racist when the race you're hating on isn't around.

• People will do it regardless. Doesn't mean I agree with it but honestly I couldn't care less about the whole race thing.

• Why would they want to? People are fucking stupid sometimes, I just don't get why white people are saying it these days. I've heard a lot of younger kids using it now, it just sounds weird to me.

• People should try to be polite and not offend one another but I don't believe in magic words.

• "nigger" no. Nigga yes.

What Girls Said 4

• i dont cuss at all, but i listen to a lot of songs that cuss, i just skip over the cuss words if its a song i really like to sing. :) i wouldn't listen to song that said the N word like that.
    the n word is a word that i would never use either. unless its "nigga" and its with family.

• wtf... pause.

First of all I find it interesting that the men all say yes and the woman say no lulz

Second , me personally as a colored individual if the song deliberately has the word "nigger" in the lyrics then there lips better be shut by the time those verses start blasting.. If the song has the overused knock off word "nigga" than ehhh... I'd give them a pass. Overall though the word is overused and has no effect on me and should NOT be used as a term of endearment at all.

• girls conform to societal views much more frequently
      even if they thought otherwise they are less likely to express themselves

• It would be racist not to.

• In my opinion, no. But you can technically say whatever you want, in your own space and your own time. Just don't be super duper surprised if I don't want to associate with you afterward. I might not want to be around you anymore, and I have as much right to that as you have to say stupid shit.