Why do war veterans commit suicide as such a high rates?

My brother is a Marine and I see on his facebook post a couple times a year "never gets easier hearing a brother has taken their own lifes" then post their name and something like "rest in peace". It's all guys he has served with.

Our father was an alcoholic and although my brother and I don't drink like we used to (genes). When he first got back from Iraq about 3 years ago, he would drink to the point he would lock himself in his room and cry. He no longer does it and seems fine it seems like over the last three years the dark aura around him has left. Guess.. war does change people.

Most Helpful Girl

• Post traumatic stress disorder is something can veterans usually have.
    It ruins their lives.
    Many of them try to return to their normal lives but mentally they are never the same.
    It is a psychological condition which eventually takes their lives if they do not seek help.

Most Helpful Guy

• as a veteran myself (did 2 tours of afghan) who has/is suffering from PTSD, alcoholism and depression it sometimes feels as if there is no one to turn to, and if you do seek help it makes you feel weak.

What you need to remember is, we have gone from being at the peak of our physical and mental fitness to a hollow shell of our former selves, and it hard for us to admit that we are struggling. we were trained to overcome weaknesses and not show suffering.

My first tour of afghan was horrible, i was team medic trained and spent most of my time picking up casualties via chinook. I saw everything, from pregnant locals, to kids who had been caught in IED blasts. one time we literally had to put arms and legs into a body bag so that the bodies could be ID'd though DNA analysis. That stuff stays with you, and slowly eats away at you until you can't take it anymore.

Watching someone die right before your eyes isn't pretty, and all this crap you see in movies doesn't come close to the real thing.

What Girls Said 3

• PTSD and difficulty finding proper mental care is what it boils down to.

• I remember meeting a girl who was active duty and came back from the Middle East. She didn't go into detail about what all happened but basically they see a lot of things over there that fucks with them mentally. They really do sacrifice a lot

• They might have PTSD. That is really difficult to overcome, and some people cannot coupe with the things they witnessed. My manager at my old job served in Iraq and had PTSD. He was not the same guy any more. War is a terrible thing.

What Guys Said 8

• There is no possible way for someone who hasn't done it to understand it. They are taught to do things that goes against the very core of their nature. Then they try to somehow reconcile with it, but they can't.

War doesn't just change people. It picks them up, tears them apart, turns them inside out, then dumps them back in the "civilized" world with haunting memories of what they've seen and done.

• You have to experience war to Understand. Its not like an action movie with Matt Damon or something. Its terrible terrible TERRIBLE. Seeing your Comrades die, killing other enemys (yes killing is not easy and very traumatic, even for a soldier), its like a nightmare! But they still do it thinking its for saving the own country. But some people still can't handle it afterwards, either because of the comrades dying because they are just like brothers or because of killing someone who might had a family too. You have nothing against him personally but you still have to kill him because he is from the other side. This is war. And when you find out that you didn't do it to save your country you killed them for Oil. You begin asking yourself what you have done. And if it was right to kill this guys. If you can't forgive yourself, its very possible that he kills himself.

• Replace the "if you can't forgive yourself" with "if he can't forgive himself" in the last sentence. I messed that up.

• PTSD shell shock or whatever you want to call it causes more symptoms to appear so you don't just deal with one... you deal with four or 5 all branching from depression, anxiety, schizophrenia, depersonalization and de-realization. All coming back to the traumatic events experienced in war.

• Haven't served in the middle east myself, fortunately it was voluntary during the time I was in service. It is the guilt, I presume, war vets fought in wars that shaped the society we live in today. Perhaps they know something we don't and they don't like the fruits of their labor. Not to mention killing hundreds of people in cold blood. I don't even begin to pretend I understand, why, but I can relate to it somewhat.

• The ones that go to war are usually kind, caring, generous and honorable men/women, they're not mentally fit for going to war they may have the physical strength to do it but they're not mentally ready for it

• Dad knew a bloke who was in the special forces and slit an Argies' throat during the Falklands War. Apparently he had constant nightmares and breathing issues, and it effected everything he did. That's why.

• post traumatic stress disorder and all the violence they see when stationed.
    Some can`t handle all that

• They probably end up realizing that killing people isn't very fun.