Is 3 weeks a long time to live in a different country?

is it long enough for me to adapt the country a little bit?

Most Helpful Girl

• It depends where your going I just got back from Spain yesterday and only spent 5 days there and man I 've been crying all afternoon I miss it so much, please spend as much time as possible in the country if not you will regret it

• I'm planning to head to Hong Kong.

• Thanks ^.^ I pick yours as mho because I don't agree that I can't get in the culture in 3 weeks

• Oh thank you! Have an amazing time!!!11

What Guys Said 3

• No, definitely not. I've lived abroad for a total of 2,5 years in two different countries and in both cases, I felt like at the end of my time there, I was just about to really get to know the country.
    Of course it also depends on what kind of person you are. Some people go on vacation to another country for 2 weeks, look at some tourist attraction and think they know what the country and its people are like. Of course, this could not be further from the truth but unfortunately, there are still tons of people who believe it.
    In order to really, truly understand the mentality of a people, why they act in a certain way, what cultural reasons lie behind some of their quirks and of course, how they communicate and why they communicate in a certain way takes A LOT of time. I also see this with my girlfriend. My girlfriend comes from a completely different country than me, on the other side of the planet. She's been living in my country for three years in total and although she has now a pretty good and accurate grasp on my culture and the mentality here, there are still things that she doesn't know or doesn't get. I would even go so far as to claim that even after spending 40 or 50 years in a different country that you grew up in, there are still things you just can't make any sense of.
    Of course one big reason for all this is also language. Language is THE number one tool to be able to understand a foreign culture. Again, I can see this well with my girlfriend living in my country (and also with myself learning her language). There's so much culture that is codified in the language and without understanding that country's language, you also fail to see an important part of its mentality and culture.
    In three weeks you might be able to see some nice architecture and realize that the people in that country seem kind of "weird" or different, but you can't grasp why.

• I mean, you'd adapt to the time change in 3 weeks. . .

• No.

I spent a total of about eight years living abroad. Generally I found three phases.

First 3-6 months, these people are very strange
    Second 3-6 months, these people are not so strange, we're all the same really
    Third 3-6 months, These people are truly, deeply, seriously strange.

What Girls Said 4

• Lol no it's not a lot of time at all. Like an extended vacation. You will be slightly adapted to the area you're in but you will by no means adapt to the entire country and its culture.

• No. It would be if you knew the locals there.

• A little bit... but depends on how different it is from your home country

• its long enough.