Atheists of all types, what makes people evil? and good?

Sure there's choice but why are people evil or good in the first place? How did it originate? Why did it originate? And what made people come up with these terms? I ask because I know what people of religion think about good and evil and why and how did it originated, so tell me in a detailed argument.

Most Helpful Girl

• Evilness comes from within, and it reflects through your actions, morals and opinions. Not like when christians deem everyone who isn't a Jesus freak, evil.
    I think evilness often can show though religion, that is just a cowards way to be a sick fuck to be evil. Like when killing, beating your child or taking away the rights of other people, in the name of your God.

Most Helpful Guy

• There is evil and good in everyone. People can go through pain and suffering. An example would be someone who is bullied in school. They decide to take their anger and frustration by shooting a school up. Most of the time it starts from home, and abuse or neglect from negligent parents. In turn molds them into hard bitter souls. When it comes to inherently evil people it has to do with how their brains are wired. A part of their brain can be undeveloped that results in a person without conscience, otherwise known as sociopaths. In the end It's choice, depending on the person. They will choose which side of the scales to step on.

encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images

What Girls Said 1

• I'm not atheist but I can say that people are evil at heart. We want to control everything and have power. God gave us free will, which means He lets us do what we want. Evil stems from adam and eve and mankind is doomed to be fallen from the grace of God forever.

Didn't mean to be overly religious it's just what I've learned in church and school.

What Guys Said 3

• There is no such thing as "how did it originate?" Evil has no 'beginning'. It's just an attribute a fucked up person can have. And as for where do certain people acquire said attribute? Well your guess is as good as mine since I'm no expert in psychology but it's simply that something's different about their brains.

• There are many kinds of evil, but when I think of the word "evil" I instantly think of "power." Humans are animals and I think that we still have that natural instinct of being the alpha male and put ourselves above everyone else to either mate or gain power over others/respect from others. I think we're still primitive that way, we just do it in a modern way, which is obtainable from eg. manipulation, money (bribing, blackmailing etc.) etc.
    I think that's the reason most people are evil... power.

• Evil is a social construct arising from social, moral instincts. A good introductory book on the subject is 'The Righteous Mind'.

Basically people have moral inclinations which they systematize through their social experience. That's why in some cultures it's wrong to eat people and in others it's a duty.