Guys, What do you think of those guys in their 40's?

who say they are going through the 40's age crisis? I know women experience that when they hit a certain age so they get depressed, etc. But men? Do you expereince the same, especially when you hit 40's or men do not get hit that hard when they turn a certain age? Or do you think taht is BS?

I used to have a friend that when he turnd 40 he went rafting and a friend of him joke that those extreme sports were not for him anymore so the guy responded: Ohh well the 40 yrd old crisis is hitting me. Also this guy have no kids and he is not married either, so I assume he likes to hook up and date as much as he can or he likes to play with women cause he is still single and available.

6

Most Helpful Guy

• I think all people go through periods in their lives when they question the direction their life is going. Most people probably go through it many times during their life.

As we get older it can become more intense at times. Because there is more time behind you, with more mistakes to look at. There is less time in front of you, meaning less time to correct those mistakes and get your life going in the direction you'd like.

(btw I'm older than 44) What also happens is that during your life you form an identity of self. There is this self that is you. You have a pretty good feel for who and what that self is. You know the good points and bad points. What eventually happens, is what you've come to know as "self" is no longer what and who you are. Your physical body is no longer the same. Your memory and maybe cognitive ability starts to diminish. What you've thought of as self all these years and decades, is no longer you. You are something else now, but what and who?

On the other hand, you tend to forget you are getting older. Many things you've simply done in the past without thinking about it, no longer work. For example a few years ago I was going to climb a tree to trim some branches. There was a big branch about should height. So I was going to just hop up there to climb the tree. I ended up doing a body slam on the branch and I'm pretty sure I cracked a rib. It never even occurred to me I couldn't just hop on that branch. The thought never even crossed my mind.

There is something that is "me". It is the same me that has always been me. The real me. The person inside is ageless. I was me when I was 15, I was me when I was 30, and I was me when I was 50. The mind, experience, knowledge, and ability to think might change. The body might change. But the "me" is the same one I've always been. There is a conflict between the "me" that is ageless, and the body and mind that are not.

So all these things change, but the me feels no different. The other changes are so great, we begin to ask ourselves questions about how out life went in the direction it did (notice the past tense). We see these changes and ask, "So if I'm not that other person any more, then who am I now?". Sometimes that question is hard to answer. Sometimes the answer is a hard pill to swallow.

I'm sure both men and women go through similar things. The differences are probably more about how we identify ourselves and our roles in life.

What Guys Said 5

• Me and most of my male friends had a meltdown at approaching 30. Most of my friends are mid 40s now and seem to have got all crises out of system though we did go on a lads trip to Madrid, Spain because it has been ages since we were away but it was very tame, there is talk of a road trip on west coast of USA next year. In fairness you are now talking about guys who think it is uber crazy to be out past midnight two nights in a row.

• I think there comes a point in a persons life when it hits you you have fewer good days ahead of you than behind you. This can lead to a crisis if you have not done what you had hoped to do with your life. Some will deal with it positively and put together a plan to do what they really want while they can... others will mask this unhappiness with behaviors to distract them from the real issue. Most of the behaviors can be unhealthy such as alcohol or affairs. If you have done pretty much what you intended with your life this point can pass quite without a major issue.

• I think it's common that people reach a point were they realize that they will not live forever and they begin doings things they've never gotten around to or challenge themselves or want to experience new things to get the most "bang for the buck" before it's to late.

I guess the depressed ones are the ones who realize that certain trains have forever left the station and they are never coming back. That an era is lost.

• I think men goes through this too, my dad changed a lot when he began to enter the 40's. He had always been very unhealthy, but changed suddenly and began to get interest in bodybuilding. So i guess men get it too?

• I had mine when I was 30.
    Have been living life ever since.
    Life is too short, and I don't intend on going stale as long as my health is good.