Can romantic love truly be unconditional?

Lots of people say they love their partner unconditionally and then leave them for one reason or another.
Of course we love our children unconditionally, whether they lie, steal, do drugs... it doesn't change our feelings. Do some people love their spouse this way?

Most Helpful Guy

• It CAN be, but ony in very rare, exceptional cases. That's why see people changing partners as often as changing clothes, a nd getting divorced left and right.

Most Helpful Girl

• My friend's grandma killed herself after her husband died. They were married for 50 years.

I think that could be considered "unconditional".

:-(

What Guys Said 4

• I'm going to get flac for saying this, but I think... Well I know for a fact that men are capable of it but women aren't.

• Thats just bullshit for one thing romantic love has'nt been able to measly thing like penis size for a while now.

• Everyone I've ever met didn't. Most couldn't even get past not being able to control their partners behavior in ways that are harmless and don't even really affect them much less if they developed really bad behavior.

Romantic love is at least as much ownership as love.

• Even with kids I think there's extreme things they can do that can dispel your feelings for them, but with partners it's possible but people never look for it. They say they love unconditionally but then a condition is broken or pressed to hard and things don't work out. They don't approach their love like it's unconditional and try to build it that way, when they're actually being very conditional, especially women for evolutionary biology reasons.

In a sense there's always some basic conditions because they have to be the person they are to be loved. But I've experienced something close to unconditional love, I had a friend who I fell for. After a while I was convinced she wasn't into me like that but simply because she was a wonderful person I would look at her and say I loved her anyway. Even if we never got together, if we both found our own partners, I still would say I loved her, and that sounds like unconditional love to me. But really it's far-less-conditional love, because if she suddenly became mean to me and a toxic person then I'm sure my feelings would go away, so there are still *some* conditions.

When someone you love dies, you stop loving them. You love the memory of them but you don't really love them in themselves anymore because they turned into a lifeless object. If someone turned into a rock, I wouldn't love that rock, I'd consider them gone.

You could say it's just semantics, and by unconditional we actually mean very few conditions. The problem is using the word unconditional has people tricking themselves. People will often draw too much meaning from their words rather than draw words from their meaning. It's a trick of semantics.

What Girls Said 0