How do I stop my cat scratching the furniture?

How do I stop my cat scratching our new furniture? He avoids the old couch and goes for the new one.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• Well, my cat is a MENACE why it comes to that. He's 15 so I think it's a little late to train him not to. We put the SoftClaw caps on his front paws to minimize the damage. But he's an indoor cat, I don't know if yours is or not. If he's an outdoor cat, you'll want to leave him armed with his claws. They have aerosol sprays you can try, maybe if you spray down the couch it won't scratch. Personally, I've kind of just accepted that I can't have nice things while he's still alive, haha. I think if you nail a piece of carpet to a wall so it's stable and has no give like the couch, sometimes they'll go for that. I also drape a blanket over his favorite spots to scratch, that can work too.

What Girls Said 1

What Guys Said 6

• Do you tell your cat off every-time he/she does it. Make sure you tell it off every-time with a strong angry voice. If the cat runs off that is actually good. Don't go after it, let it sulk on its own for a bit. Also you might want to have a look and see if there is any type of product you can put around that area that will keep the cat away.

• 0|1
  • Rub Vix vapour rub on the spots.

Animals such as cats despise the strong scent of Vix, rub it anywhere you don't want your cat to be around or touch.

• Why do you post this simple question anonymously?

Take this, if you know what i mean!

upload.wikimedia.org/.../330px-GP_K100_target.jpg

• Shoot your cat

• Tell it in a stern voice and hiss at it