Tv reporter, cameraman have been shot and killed on live tv, your thoughts? America needs tighter gun laws do you agree?

Virginia Reporter and photographer shot. As an American I must say, This has got out of hand! Noone is safe anymore. I feel like America does need tighter gun control laws and now. What do you think of this situation?

Now they are saying the man is a former disgruntled employee of the TV station out of Roanoke, VA
Update: forget the tighter gun laws, here's the real question: what do you think makes people commit such acts of violence? Is it media? Video games? Stress of job loss?

Most Helpful Girl

• Yes, I agree. It's a shame that this happened, but maybe if it's more famous and well known people getting hurt, some things might change.

Most Helpful Guy

• Guns don't kill people... People do. Even having a strict law about guns doesn't mean crooks or gang members are going to follow said rules or laws. The justice system aren't all black and white in that sense.

• I'mnot saying no guns allowed i'm saying that stronger background checks need to be done to make sure that person is sane enough to have one

• I think idiots like to blame something else rather than the real problem of the situation. In other words, blaming video games as a form escape goating from the real problem.

If i let my nephew or if i play Grandtheft Auto, does it automatically make me or my nephew a killer? Would it influence us into stealing cars and shooting ppl?

Let you sip on that for a bit..

• I had mentioned a comment above the suspect is a former disgruntled employee

What Girls Said 5

• I think certain rules need to be made, and I definitely think that the guy who did it is death penalty certified. u3u

• People kill people, not guns. Thats correct BUT i live in Europe and things like this hardly ever happen. Must be because not every idiot is allowed to have a gun licence.

• What do you have to do there to get a firearm?

• You have to pass a test i guess. And i dont know why people downvote my opinion. Its a fact. In Europe there are a lot, plenty less gun crimes than in america. Which makes violence and killing a lot harder

• Yes the country need tighter gun laws or no gun at all.

• I agree, Not ban ownership, but make it where sales have to be more stringent

• nope. I always figured the guns used to kill people were illegal anyway.

• Or, those fucking reporters could stop being so damn annoying in-your-face all the time. Don't wanna get shot? Then don't annoy a crazy man with a gun.

What Guys Said 10

• According to the ATF (the agency which deals with firearms), majority of the guns that get into the hands of criminals come from law abiding citizens. Citizens who don't have a record would legally purchase a gun and knowingly allow or re-sell the gun to a person who would have never been capable of getting a gun through the legal means. ( This method is called "Straw Purchase"). The point of the matter is, is that most of the guns circulating in the American criminal world, originated from the homes of law abiding citizens.

Tighter gun laws won't do shit to curb gun issues in this country as long as we have crooked people without a record who would purchase a weapons for a criminal.

To be honest, America's gun problem is so rampant and out of control, that I don't see any solution to it. Banning guns is impractical since some people love their gun just as much as they love their own kids, and making tighter gun laws would be a waste of time. The only way this gun issue in America can stop or at least decrease is if all Americans have a period of enlightening where we all come to together and try to find ways to stop our violent gun culture (and stop making excuses) . But seeing how the death of even elementary kids (Sandy Hook) hasn't broughten about this period of enlightening, then I seriously don't know what could.

• It's not the gun law, it's the people

USA got a VIOLENCE PROBLEM. No, it's ot about violent cops either, it's about how you see violence and use of lethal force. THAT is the real problem, that is why this shit happens!

you can have all the background checks you want, but bottom line that doesn't do shit if people resort to violence way too fast. It just makes peope even more jumpy, and even more likely to shoot, because nobody want to get shot so they shoot first.

THAT is america's problem. That they're fucking trigger happy and has a serious violence problem! Solve the violence problem, and the need for a gun will more or less disappear. No more shootings, or at least very few.

• No, 90% of Americans do not want tighter gun control laws. Our Constitution protects our right to own guns. If we allow that right to be restricted, what right will be targeted next?

If you make gun laws more restrictive, that affects the ability of law-abiding citizens to own guns. Criminals will purchase firearms illegally and you have not accomplished anything.

Controlling guns is a move towards a totalitarian society and it is ineffective. Why aren't you asking what makes people commit such acts of violence so that we can direct efforts at the root causes? Perhaps it is the amount of violence in TV programs and movies and the amount of violence in video games. Maybe the liberal controlled media is to blame and they simply want to shift the focus away from themselves.

• I suppose a better background check but however I don't want to have it turn into a place where gun laws get progressively tighter and tighter.

• Typical emotional over-reaction. People kill people, not guns.

That guy could have been killed with a kitchen knife. Are you going to restrict kitchen knifes next?

• No but I feel like Better background checks need to be done before buying/owning guns

• Are you sure the killer of that TV reporter legally owned his gun?

• I think something like 90% of americans want stricter gun laws, but it's never going to happen, not if gun lobbies have a say in it. Big business owns America now.

• Charlton Heston late movie actor was the biggest supporter of gun lobbying in Washington

• Alright this is probably the last time i say this...

Everyone will rush to blame a person for killing a Lion. Hell, it will even make national news. But when a person kills another person we blame the gun not the wielder of the weapon.

Guns are not the problem, they never have been. It's the people that own them and how they choose to use them.

• I live near the news station, it is very sad

• Criminals don't obey gun laws, so it's redundant. Instead we need to reconstruct society where violence is 'impossible.'

• america has been in need of gun control for a while now

there is only 1 good reason to own a gun, and that is "because i like it". and that is fine, you are allowed to like things, but the whole "for my protection" argument is utter bull