A student who plays for school's sports-team. Can he call 'sports' as his hobby?

Hobby :- An activity done regularly in one's leisure time for pleasure.

Personally, I don't think so because he/she is representing his/her school. It is sort of professional thing and he/she maybe forced to participate by the school because he/she is good in it. There may not be pleasure and leisure time.

But I am confused. What do you think?

• Yes, we can call it hobby
  • No, we cannot call this hobby

Most Helpful Girl

• Not really, it's an extracurricular activity since it's associated with school. It would be a hobby if he wanted to shoot some hoops on the weekend with friends. When I played sports, I didn't list soccer, volleyball and basketball as hobbies, since it was part of the school. Me playing badminton and racquetball on the weekends was a hobby that I played at my gym and not associated with school extracurricular activities.

But if the person playing the sport for fun loves it, then it's alright if they want to say it's their hobby. I don't know, that's how I see it.

Most Helpful Guy

• By definition, it would no longer be a hobby since it would become an obligation if they were to join a sports team.

But it could still be considered a hobby to that person if they love it and/or consider the time spent going to practice to be leisure time. Some people might not exactly have the best home life, or they might have a LOT on their plate, and would consider the practices to be a kind of freedom from all that.

What Girls Said 2

• I'd call it a hobby...

• If the student enjoys that particular sport, then I would consider it to be a hobby.

• Most of us enjoy our profession but we cannot call it our hobby, no?

• In that case, there are a lot of things that would not be considered hobbies. You could get glory or a prize from things like fishing and hunting... I consider those to be hobbies.

• Interesting. I'll continue later :)

What Guys Said 2

• By all means call it a hobby. There are people in the world who managed to make a living out of their hobby (woodworking or what not) and by your logic, they can no longer have their hobby qualify as such.

• Technically it wouldn't be a hobby anymore but their livelihood. However it could still be considered a hobby if they also do it just for fun and not for income.

For example, singing is a huge hobby of mine. If I were to somehow get a record deal and have to go on tours, produce albums, etc., it would no longer be a hobby but a career. Now, if I were to continue singing outside of all of that (like at home, in the shower, at karaoke events, and so on), it would also still be a hobby.

• But this is all just nitpicking.

• That's very confusing :(

• I think you can call it a hobby only IF you enjoy playing that sport, as your explanation dictates "for pleasure".😄
    If you don't enjoy it, its more like an obligation, that would't really be a hobby.👎
    So i think it depends, if you enjoy or don't like the sport.
    Hope this helped you😄👌

• A professional DJ enjoys DJing but he cannot call it a hobby because it's more like a profession, no?

• If you enjoy doing something and you earn money with it, its both, if you only earn money with it, its a profession, if you enjoy doing it only, its a hobby👍the ideal thing would be having both of course, enjoying your job👌

• Hahaha thanks :D