Is owning a car unnecessary for someone living in New York City?

Most Helpful Girl

• Its unnecessary and a terrible burden as well because parking is extremely expensive and most of the time there is no place to park your car.

• That's what I'm scared of

• Take public transit. They have trains everywhere and buses too though buses are not as nice as the trains.

Most Helpful Guy

• It depends where you live. If you live in Manhattan, then yeah, it's completely unnecessary. Between insurance, minor accidents that constantly happen with fender-benders in bumper-to-bumper traffic or tight streets and paint scratches or cyclists who accidentally damage your car and then drive off... daily... and parking (and tickets because you can never find parking) ... and the frustration and aggravation... not worth it.

If you're outside of Manhattan, like parts of Queens, Brooklyn, or the Bronx, then a car is something that you unfortunately can't avoid having.

If you live in Yonkers or further upstate, or if you live on Long Island, then you "need" a car.

What Girls Said 4

• No, I've lived in nyc my whole life and never owned a car. Its more convenient to use public transportation, especially if you live in manhattan. If your a parent though it would be easier to have a car.

• Not really. Only the upstate new yorkers own cars. There are cabs everywhere in the 5 boroughs.

• I don't know :o

• Yes it is.

What Guys Said 3

• If they live downtown or near transit, no, a car isn't needed.

I don't live in New York, I live in Toronto, and owning a car here is optional if you live near the subway. Everything is walking distance, and I live by a subway station which gets me downtown to work quickly.

Insurance is sky high, parking is very expensive, and the streets are very busy. If I ever need a car, I rent one.

• I would think so - Public transport top notch.

• I've never been to New York, but I think that it's not. You can always use public transportation.