Is it ok for me to speak Spanish in america?

I'm bilingual and Spanish is my preferred language. Is it ok for me to speak it?

Most Helpful Girl

• as long as you speak it to other Spanish speakers and dont expect everyone to speak Spanish :)

Most Helpful Guy

• As long as you're not one of those people that gets frustrated at others for not knowing your language in a place where it's not the primary.

• But wasn't the southwest language primarily Spanish. Just look at the city names. Los angeles, san fransisco, san diego. Most cities names are in Spanish

• Haha there's no such town figuratively or literally. All you will see is cities names "Apatzingan" "Morelia" or others of the like

• There is a town named Dalton in Georgia... And that is the point i am trying to make, if you come to a country that speaks a specific language as its primary. Why would you come here assuming in a specific city they only speak Spanish? In my opinion it's disrespectful to live somewhere and not care to learn their language.

What Girls Said 4

• Yeah, if the people you're trying to speak to also speak Spanish haha

• If you are talking with someone who also speaks it, I don't see a problem; but if you have to talk with someone who doesn't, don't do it, speak in English.

• yes it is!!

• No tiene nada de malo que prefieras hablar en EspaƱol, sobre todo y cuando la otra persona entienda lo que estas diciendo :)

• Of course, if you are speaking to other Spanish speaking people who can understand the language. Quite a bit of Americans can speak other languages, maybe not fluently, but a decent amount.

What Guys Said 8

• There are many people in the US who do not speak English at all, it does limit their opportunities and there are some social situations that would be closed to you, but in general you could do it especially if you kept to the Latin American communities.

• As long as you understand you have to speak English to make it anywhere in the workforce here, u can speak Spanish.

But English is the primary language here.

• Whatever you are comfortable with.

• I believe that it's important that everyone can speak a common language, but of course it's okay to speak more than one.

• While the USA predominantly speaks English, I'm sure you will be fine as Spanish is the 2nd most spoken language there.

• If u want people to understand u no

• Doesn't bother me.

• sure there's a lot of gringos that speak Spanish in murica