How do I save gas while driving?

What are some good ways to save gas while driving my car?

0|0
2|5

Most Helpful Girl

• Don't idle, especially if you'll be waiting in one spot for more than a minute. Idling for ten seconds uses about as much fuel as it takes to restart the vehicle, so it's more efficient to turn off the engine while you wait.

1|0
    0|0
    • Yes, they have cars now that turn the engine off automatically now. So the action of pressing the brakes as you come to a stop automatically turns the engine off then the action of pressing on the accelerator pedal to drive off automatically restarts the engine then the car drives off.

• It is called "idol stop"

• I thought it uses up more fuel when you start car up.

Most Helpful Guy

• -Light foot : minimum accelerations (and decelerations): cruise smoothly and anticipate.
    Every time you brake you lose kinetic energy. To regain it, you have to use gas.
    If you don't need to brake, you don't need to accelarate to regain the speed (momentum) you lost. Braking, then revving up a car from 20 mph to 50 mph uses more gas than driving at 40 over the same distance/time.

-Keep a good distance from the car before you: you won't have to brake as much:
    -If you drive 10 or 20 mph slower, you may lose 5 or 10 minutes on a given distance: is it worth it?

(Slipstreaming is dangerous, it's the cause of most accidents involving trucks)

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 1

• Make sure your tires are fully inflated and that you're not hauling around any heavy crap that you don't need to.

0|0
    0|0

What Guys Said 4

• How you drive makes a big difference, people that drive really hard everywhere they go use up to 25% more petrol because their cars engine is always working hard.

Also I think they say once you are going over 80km/h (49 miles an hour) it saves petrol to use the air con rather than wind windows down. This is because winding windows down disrupts the airflow of the car.

Don't use your car as a store room. The more weight you have in it the more petrol it will use.

People that drive by going below the speed limit and then speed up to the limit and then slow down again and then speed up again constantly use more petrol because their engine is always working rather than maintaining a constant speed.

0|0
    0|0
  • Don't idle. use first gear as much as possible. go the speed limit or under.

0|0
    0|0
  • Drive slooooow.

0|0
    0|0
  • Take it easy on the acceleration. Shift into neutral at stop lights.

0|0
    0|0