Why are so many Americans pro-gun possession when the US is one of the only Western countries where mass shootings happen very regularly?

I'm not trying to troll anyone here, I genuinely wonder about this.

• I am American and for gun possession
  • I am American and against gun possession
  • I am American and I am neutral
  • I am not American and for gun possession
  • I am not American and against gun possession
  • I am not American and I am neutral

Most Helpful Girl

• i am against gun possession personally as i believe it does more harm than good but i understand that it would be a very hard thing to achieve in america since 1) it is deeply ingrained in their culture and 2) that it would require a change to the constitution which is a very difficult process

Most Helpful Guy

• Mass shootings and gun violence are not the fault of guns. They are the fault of people.

While sensible gun restrictions are ok (eg, Mental health needs to be good to get a license) and I'd be fine with them being passed (eg, state by state, these laws are different, some restrictive, some not), the problem is cultural.

Here's the thing: it is largely mentally ill people who go on mass shootings. If better mental health screening for the population was carried out and mental health was better addressed by the medical and insurance companies etc, then many of the issues with gun violence would drop dramatically.

Additionally, outside of the mentally ill, it is poor people who shoot others (and by that, I mean poor black people especially). The truth is, gang violence is a problem, and that is the result of 1) black ghetto culture being glorified and 2) an education system based around rewarding affluent communities and punishing poor communities. The result is that black and poor people remain desperate and uneducated. To top it off, mostly men are involved in the violence--and since the schools cater to women and punish and neglect males, young men have no recourse to support other than gangs--they go to gangs to get the support in their life that they should be getting from community leaders, schools, parents, etc.

So if mental health was taken seriously, and education was taken seriously, and the development of young men was taken seriously (because frankly, men are not valued by our society), then gun violence would plummet.

So again, gun control is only the tiniest slither in this problem--really, it's like trying to put a bandage on a hemorrhage, it just isn't going to be the solution people think it might be.

What Girls Said 4

• It would take an amendment to the constitution to change it so don't hold your breath with the nuckle heads we appointed to Congress. Smh

• I prefer genetically engineered attack wasps.

• is everywhere else banning gun possession?

• I don't think it's the gun law that's the problem, it's the people. Other places in the world they are even more free when it comes to gun possession, and they have lower crime rates than places where guns are illegal.

• It certainly isn't a black or white issue. The way we handle mental health in the U. S. Definitely compounds the problem. We have health care reform saying insurers must treat mental health as any other type of medicine. But the insurers are hard to deal with in response so doctors either say they 'aren't taking new patients' are straight up tell you they won't take insurance. It is like looking for a job when you have to find a psychologist in a new city. Even if you can pay out of pocket a few hundred dollars per visit it can still be hard. We need to be more open minded to the solution. We need more accessible mental health but some type of gun reform as well.
      You are young and you are the future so please do keep an open mind. It is your generation that will bring the change we so greatly need. If you fail to do so you generation will suffer as will your kids.

What Guys Said 7

• Voted E. I firmly believe that guns do more harm than good. I agree that self protection is important. But when you're someone comes up behind you and blows your head off your shoulder with a gun, you won't have time to whip out your own gun to 'protect' yourself.

• There's a lot of fear and ignorance. I'm a gun owner, and I'm in favor of stricter controls, but not total banning.

• That is where cowboys originated from, what do you expect?
    But seriously, the amount of killers over there is staggering, they probably have some pull in making laws.

• Yes they do. The presiding power over the issue is known as the NRA and Congress is their whore. I'm from the liberal heart of the cowboy state a blue island in a sea of red. I think we should nurse them off the guns with small reform in hand gun control but let them have their riffles. It isn't going to be easy going but something has to give. It needs to be at least a two pronged approach... But if a school of dead 7 year olds didn't bring change I shutter to think what will.

• @asker here is a link if you are curious what exactly gun shows are.

en.m.wikipedia.org/.../Gun_shows_in_the_United_States

• Oh yeah, I think I remember seeing something like this on TV. It looks just like a car-boot sale lol.
      Wow, I can't believe that. You don't even need a license to buy a weapon. And some people wonder why America has one of the highest rates of violent crime lol.

• why would we ban guns. that would be dumb.

• Once again...

When a man kills a lion it makes world news. He's a terrible person for shooting an innocent lion... However, when a man kills another man, the gun is the problem.

It has nothing to do with the weapon. The problem is with the wielder of the weapon.

• I'm not saying that the gun is the problem. The person is the problem. What I don't get is why it's legal in the US to bear deadly weapons when it clearly does more harm than good. Of course people will misuse it and the situation is getting severely out of hand.

• I guess the point i am trying to get to is if you ban guns nothing will change. A very very large majority of these mass shootings as they like to call them are gang related. You can find the listings on the internet and read the stories. I literally chose 4 random ones and every single one was by an unknown perp after a brawl in a gang related area of the state.

• What's wrong with American mass shootings?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nAfWfF4TjM

• Because it's the 2nd amendment. Right to bear arms!

• I know, but I don't understand why people still believe in the validity of the second amendment when we're almost at 250 US mass shootings so far this year.

• Oh Dutch is the only language spoken by a country I spend considerable time in and don't know a word. In The Netherlands, or rather just Amsterdam, their English is better than mine so I never picked it up.

• I just went to Amsterdam. I speak standard Dutch but I do have a fairly heavy West Flemish accent, so many people in Amsterdam used English when talking to me, even when Dutch was clearly their and my main language. It seems to be something instinctive.