Your pet vs The lives of 500 strangers. Which one would you pick?

Let's say you have to choose one over the other. If you choose your pet, 500 random people who are not related to you will die. No one else but you will know about your decision. The 500 people have no idea who you and they will die in peace.

Most Helpful Girl

Most Helpful Guy

• If my cat, whom I love very much, needed to be rescued or even so much as a single human being needed rescuing, I would choose the human because I value human life over animal life. I would cry my eyes out at having lost my cat, but I couldn't face myself if I contributed to human misery by not rescuing humans.

For those of you who believe that humans are cruel and mean and a blight on the earth, I believe in NOT saving the lives of strangers, you would very much be contributing to the cruelty of human existence. Hitler loved his dog Blondie. I'm sure he would have saved Blondie over every single non-white, Slavic, or Jew on the planet.

What Girls Said 16

• Well the pet's single death alone would affect me A LOT more personally than the death of 500 strangers, so I'm inclined to choose my pet's life.

But when I think more about it, these 500 strangers have families and social ties and important roles in their daily lives, and my pet is... more or less replaceable. Sad hypothetical question :c I think I'd save the people... (Assuming they're not all criminals or anything like that).

• Wow, and look at the down votes for someone who has weighed the cost in human misery vs. the cost of her own misery.

• I would let my pet die because i couldn't live with the guilt and I'm not too attached anyway. If it was a human i loved... it could be a whole country... I'd pick the person i love every time

• I don't have a pet but if I let it live I would feel selfish

• cya strangers, too bad for you.

• I'll take the dog/cat

• Ohhh dear here she goes again, you are one mean girl Bards hahaha

• @sabertooths lol dude the world is over populated, I dont know them, and sacrificing my dog or cat is like sacrificing a brother or sister. Thats how close I am to them.

I can't relate to people who say "oh I'll just buy another one"

That shows how much they care for animals in general. Animals are much more innocent than people.

• I like your point of view haha :)

• Can I pick option C and save the people and my dog but sacrifice myself? My dog has saved my life before so I don't think I could ever justify taking hers.

• Pets > strangers.

• Lives of 500 strangers.

• LOL. I read through all the answers. If the 500 strangers were the people who chose their pet over people, I would choose the pet even though I don't care for animals.

• Haha that's great ^

• Ok my pet then.

• I would try to save my pets along with those 500 people... we can always find a way to do so... either everyone gets saved or all die... can't live with guilt of pet or people dying because of silly decision I make

• I would save my furry little babies. Theyre so innocent and filled with joy and only contribute love and positivity to the world. Many people are the exact opposite.

• Whoever would pick their pet are very sick in the head. This is coming from a person who absolutely adores animals (and not just the cute ones like most people). But you have to be mentally ill to think a pet could be worth more than 500 lives.

• THANK YOU. Exactly what I was thinking. It's horrifying that so many people are picking their pets.

• My cat, I'd feel bad but people die everyday and she's my baby

• Id save my pet. Because humans are more evil than animals.

• Even if the 500 strangers were to have a very painful death, I'd still choose my pet over them.

• uh wow lol

• Seriously though, the world is better off without you

• @shayanmortazavi
      What's wrong with you?

• Definitely my pet

What Guys Said 20

• i was having this convo with someone recently. The internet is obsessed with animals, to the points where they care way more for animals than other humans, which blows my mind. I'm almost positive a lot of people would choose their pet over the lives of 500 because retardation has spread deep in these parts

• I would buy a new pet.

• And look at the down votes. You monster! ;)
      How dare you value human life so much!

• I'm killing those fucking strangers without a fuck given HAHAHAH #WHY? Cuz that's more space and opportunity for me i1127.photobucket.com/.../ezgif.com-add-text.gif I mean I can't get to the top if ____ is currently sitting there, right? (#^ ^#)

• Moral of the story humans are fucked up individuals 😎

• 500 humans is not even.0001% percent of the population

• 500 people. Anything else is immoral and a sin as well.

• No question my pet would have to be sacrificed to save 500 humans

500 humans is too high a number for one animal soul. I think logical not emotionally... like a machine

• The strangers. My dog is old and bound to die sooner or later anyway.

• I would save the strangers hands down. I would give up my pet for 1 stranger. Human life always was and always will be more valuable than that of animals. It's terrifying that so many people are choosing their pets over strangers. Those strangers all have their own family and friends. If you chose your pet over the strangers you are a sick person.

• Really depends on who the 500 people are, no?

If they're 500 inhabitants of a prison... well, my gecko will live another day.

• People die all the time, and because I don't know them I don't care. 😂 So I choose my dog.

• Dogs die all the time and they contribute nothing beneficial to society.

• I don't care. She means more to me than some random people I don't know and I've never met.
      My dog means the world to me, more so that than guy 'Bob' who lives on the other side of the planet. If it was someone I know personally then I'd change my mind because I care about them.

• If I still had my cat or parakeet then I would choose my pet. I love them, them mean more to me.

• I would pick my dog-no hesitation.

• My pet! Sorry we are already at a population crisis so...

• No we don't. We have enough land for everyone in the world to get a couple of acres.

• Lol. There is enough land for every single person on this Earth to have 2 acres. There is no population crisis. And how will your domesticated pet fare when there are no scraps for them to eat due to no humans? They're worthless and rely on humans to survive.

• The point of me speaking of the land is to show that we DON'T have a population crisis. And no, it is not uninhabitable. It's your choice but it makes no sense to me to choose a worthless being who won't be able to curb ANYTHING or assist with planting trees as well as assisting the Earth to better and simply shits, eats, and sleeps. That makes sense to you clearly. :)

• My pet cause I don't know those strangers plus my pet has given me affection.

• Is there any number of strangers at which you would save them over your pet? A thousand? A million? A billion?

• @bluemax a billion is when I would choose them its just because those strangers never gave me love so why should I save them? plus most probably didn't like me already just by looking at me. My cat never judges me she gives me love and affection at least most of the time lol.

• my pet easy choice

• Probably the pet.

• If it was a pet dog, the dog lives.

If it was a cat, fish or pretty much anything else that is not an endangered species, then the people lives.

• wow there's some fucked up people here who would put the life of their pet over that of 500 people.

And lots of brilliant logic too saying people die every day so who cares. Well animals die every day too. duh.

• A animal will always be a animal. Most pets after you've had them for 15 years will be dead anyway (minus animals like reptiles, cats, and dogs). Save the strangers lives because they are humans and just get another pet.

• I have two dogs, so I hope those 1000 people told their loved ones how they feel.

• I'd kill me pet can get a new one tommorow

• Lol.. I feel bad for laughing haha. All humans are related