Have I fractured my knuckle?

So the other day I punched a wall (yes, I know it wasn't a smart thing to do and no I do not have anger issues) and now it's really hard for me to put my hand into a fist, my pinky knuckle is swollen, it hurts to straighten my hand, it hurts to move my pinky upwards and painful to push it in towards the swollen bit. What have I done? If I go to the doctor will I have to get a splint or a cast? How do I know if it's fractured? Thank you so much :)

Most Helpful Guy

• I've been there. You might have what's called a "boxer break", a fracture of your 5th metatarsal bone. You'll want to get that looked at ASAP. When I broke mine they put me in a dry cast. Basically it's like half a cast that goes on the pinky side of your hand/wrist, and you wrap it on there with an ace bandage. If you have an option, ask if they can do that. It's much easier to live with for six weeks because you can take it on and off when it gets itchy or uncomfortable and when you shower or wash your hands. Get it looked at soon because if it heals too much they can't do anything with it. I broke my middle knuckle once and didn't get it looked at for like three weeks and they were just like "well, you broke it, and it's halfway healed now. It looks a little smashed in, but my boxer break was handled the same day and there's no visible difference.

Most Helpful Girl

• You should go to a doctor to be sure if it's fractured. They'll probably put you in a hand brace to keep you from moving it too much.

What Guys Said 2

• Go get it checked out, dry cast is probably likely if you fractured it.

• Go get it checked out. It could be fractured or sprained. You might need a cast or splint. They might only tape it to the ring finger.

What Girls Said 1

• If it's fractured it'd be too painful to move... You probably just badly bruised it. Time will heal it, though you should have iced it right after punching the wall
    lol don't make punching hard things a habit