What does this symbol mean?

What does this symbol mean ?

0|0
5|14

Most Helpful Guy

What Guys Said 13

• There are two versions of its origin. In one version of Hermes' myth, he is given the staff by Apollo, the god of healing. In another version, he receives the staff from Zeus, the king of the gods, and it is entwined with two white ribbons. The ribbons were later replaced by serpents, as one story tells that Hermes used the stick to separate two fighting snakes , who then coiled around his staff and remained there in balanced harmony.

0|0
    0|0
  • I heard of a theological theory that it was derived from the bible, the book of Numbers, when the people of Israel were being bitten by poisonous snakes in the desert and God told Moses to set a bronze snake upon a pole and anyone who looked at it would live.
    encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images

But I do know of the Greek mythological tales as well...

0|0
    0|0
  • The Caduceus. Is the staff carried by Hermes in Greek mythology. The same staff was also borne by heralds in general, for example by Iris, the messenger of Hera. It is a short staff entwined by two serpents, sometimes surmounted by wings. In Roman iconography, it was often depicted being carried in the left hand of Mercury, the messenger of the gods, guide of the dead and protector of merchants, shepherds, gamblers, liars, and thieves.

0|0
    0|0
  • 0|1
    0|0
  • Greek in origin, the Greek god Hermes carries a caduceus entwined with two serpents. It's used to represent medical organisations like the NHS in the UK

0|0
    0|0
  • Somthing medical I bel8ve

0|0
    0|0
  • Something to do with hospitals

0|0
    0|0
  • It's Hermes' caduceus! The Greek messenger god Hermes carried this little thing around!

0|0
    0|0
  • i think i saw it in the pharmacies

0|0
    0|0
  • it means two snakes making out behind a stick

0|0
    0|0
  • HEALTH
    soul

0|0
    0|0
  • the pharmacies in my country :P

0|0
    0|0
  • Symbol for health.

0|0
    0|0

What Girls Said 5

• It is called Caduceus. A medical symbol for health care systems.

The stick in the symbol is actually a staff that, according to the Greek mythology, was carried by the Olympian god Hermes who was also patron of travelers, which resembles doctors in the old days when they had to travel for long distances in order to attend their patients.

The Greek used snakes in healing rituals and thought they have remedial effect since their venom can be used for medicine etc.

So this is why the symbol has a stick and snakes. The wings also refer to Hermes.

0|1
    0|0
  • umm.. i dont know.. it is cool tho..

0|0
    0|0
  • Symbol of Medicine

0|0
    1|0
  • Its two snakes on a stick with wings. Whats confusing about that?

0|0
    0|0
  • Its a generic medical logo I believe.

0|0
    0|0