Do you hate your parents?

I seriously hate them. My sister is a loser 25 no education obese and emotional unstable. My mom tries to claim the mom of the year award even though she stopped acting like a mom a long time ago. My dad works long hours and is just exhausted and lays on the couch all day and eats fast food when he's home. They all make me feel terrible for helping me through college and they barely help I had to get scholarships and say I'm lazy when they can't understand I can't that I can't take 20 engineering units and work full time. It is unbearable. I don't think I'm going to include them in my future at all once I leave in a couple months.

U feel like they robbed me of my youth and caused me to be miserable throughout most of my life with unessasary stress.

• Just forget them and move on with your life
  • Give it some time after you move out and try to rekindle.

Most Helpful Girl

• My experience was similar. My parents are hoarders & were abusive mentally & physically when I was a child.

I had to pay my way through college as well and I totally agree with, "U feel like they robbed me of my youth and caused me to be miserable throughout most of my life with unessasary stress."

I don't hate my parents. I did in high school, but now I feel overwhelmingly sad for them, because their life didn't have to be like this. We're not close at all anymore, its gotten to the point I see them on birthdays & holidays.

My sisters & I turned out fine, sort of. The eldest has her degree in accounting, is on her 2nd marriage, but she is argumentative like our parents. My other sister, has a MS in mathematics, she married a douchebag that relies on her to take care of him, just like our parents relationship. And me, well, I got a BS in Psychology & I'm not good in relationships. I've concealed myself in a safe bubble & rarely venture out or let others in. I'm sociable, people love me, but its all surface level/superficial.

Just saying the family dynamic does play a part of your adult life & personal relationships.

I got through college by:

1. Taking online courses from community colleges, because they were cheaper, in addition to courses at the university I was enrolled at
    2. Becoming a Resident Assistant, that covered room & board, you have to live on campus first before applying
    3. Joining student organizations & then winning scholarships through them
    4. Working additional jobs in the housing office & restaurants
    5. Keeping my GPA up - never let it drop below a 3.0, if it drops the scholarships will stop
    6. I had "just in case" credit cards that I never maxed out. I was responsible & now my credit is outstanding (740)

This was not easy & will definitely be hard for an engineer major but it can be done. You will get overwhelmed, just take a break, gather yourself & then get back to it! Enjoy our time in college, its a one of king experience, so party when you can!

I would also focus on finding a partner while in college, the population & diverse selection greatly outnumbers what will be available once you join the workforce. LOL :) Good Luck!

Most Helpful Guy

• No I don't hate my parents. They are dead and I wish they were alive.

OK, so maybe your family life sucked. Maybe your parents and family aren't the best in the world. But now it's YOUR life and you have to take responsibility for it. You are judgmental and full of hate. Maybe your past made you what you are. But you have to take what you are, and go from there. You can carry that hate around and let it slowly eat you up. Or you can start trying to let it go.

You can't snap your fingers and it magically disappears. But if you don't want it to eat you up, you need to stop pointing fingers. It's your life now, and you are responsible for it. So you don't like what you've become. Then do something about it.

You have to forgive your parents. You must. You are an adult now. You can no longer expect your parents to be infallible. You are not perfect. I am not perfect. Your parents are not perfect either. Has it ever occurred to you that THEIR life sucked too? Has it occurred to you that they are struggling with all the same shit that life throws at us? They have to deal with the same kind of shit in life that you do. Give them a break, and give yourself a break. It's called forgiveness. For them and for yourself.

Your sister is obese and emotionally unstable. And you are full of hate. She grew up in the same family you did. She's dealt with it differently than you have. Do you think she has some special secret on dealing with it? You of all people should understand her. Instead of sympathizing with your sister you judge her.

So you are taking a heavy load at college. Engineering isn't easy. It sucks having to deal with this shit while you need to be concentrating on school. But somehow you have to deal with it. All you can do is look at reality, take a deep breath, and move forward.

What Girls Said 8

• I know what you mean. After you move out, they won't have anything to say about you. You can just be you, and do the things you like, live life by your rules and live on your own! My sister moved out and visits weekly or less, sometimes a couple days in a row but mostly cuz she needs food or is bored. My mother and I have a terrible relationship compared to theirs! If you're constantly in the same house, it will get annoying.

• Nope. I absolutely love my parents.

• Family is shit, I know that well, but they are the only family you have so make sure you keep the relationship. They are the only one you get. Doesn't mean you have to go out of your way to please them or anything, just keep the relationship there.

• Everyone thinks their family is shit at 16. Write back in 5 years.

• Yeah but most 16 year old get verbally and physically abuse so why don't you try not to judge based on age

• *don't get

• On the contrary, I LOVE them. They mean the world to me.

• Not at all.

My sister, I am not a fan of...

• Wow that really sucks I'm so sorry :(

That must hurt so much to not feel like you have a family who care about you and look after you. I hope you have friends you love you and can make you feel better <3

You should be so proud of yourself for getting those scholarships really, you must have worked your arse off, and getting through college with so little help, that's an amazing achievement.

I love my Mum, my Dad died when I was 4 but I loved him too. My stepdad is a knob

• I am in a similar situation but the reason is my dad since he doesn't work and is very dependent on my mom and his friends. On top of that once we are finally living a stable life, he decides we have to move and find a better place. I even attended 4 univ so far and I am already 24 with very high grades but didn't graduate and didn't complete even 3 years in any major because of him. Same goes for my sister. The thing that amazes me is how my mom tolerated all that.

Still... I try not to hate him...

• No, on contrary. I love them and I respect them.
    I always look up to them. I am always there for them and they are always there for me
    as well. We have a great relationship/

What Guys Said 16

• No, I just love them! My dad was more of a friend to me than a dad, although I unfortunately lost him when I was pretty young. But mom filld that void, by giving me double love! I'll always be grateful to my parents.

• Well, I don't really hate my parents, hate is a very strong word however, yes I dislike many things about my parents. I admit that.

• No, my parents are great. I don't agree with them politically but I get along very well with them. Some of their friends are younger than me. Me and my siblings have done some pretty dumb things over the years and they weren't happy about them but I always felt I would be loved and supported in time of need.

• I'm 35 and I feel that same way about my parents. My best advice is to make sure that you tell them how you feel. And specifically how certain things that they do or have done, have impacted you. Some people will just go on about their lives having NO IDEA how fuct up your life is due to choices they made. And it's important that you speak up, otherwise it will eat your soul.

• Thank God, I have a wonderful family and I have never felt even a little pessimistic, uncomfortable about them :) They mean the world to me in real meaning, indeed...
    I am sorry for you; why they are like this i don't know :/ Just I wish you all best...

• I think both options are terrible. You should have respect and follow them blind. At least almost blind. They gave birth to you and now you want to leave them just like that. Repay them with your loyalty and bare with them. I can understand you are upset but you can make a difference and be the bigger man.
    I bid you good luck. Peace

• I love my family they may not be the greatest but I had clothes on my back, school supplies, food etc you should be glad they gave a shit about you I know many who's parents don't give a shit about them financially

• Family is stronger then anything. Even when you dont like em they are going to be there when you need them the most.

• Not at all I love my family.

• I love my immediate family <3 Without them I don't think I'll be able to survive. However, I hate rest of family. Every single of them is shit. I wish they'd just disappear or I'm going to disappear.

• you shouldn't get so mad at family, even if they piss you off more often than not. at the end of the day they are the only family you have

• Haven't seen them for ages. I didn't leave their house on bad terms, I was the bad term back then, just needed to fix myself up on my own.

• No. Yeah sometimes they seriously annoy me, but I still love them.

• Nope I don't hate him I love em

• I didn't pick one on the poll because there is more to all this. My parents were truly monsters so be grateful if they at least love you and provide for you.

• You sound like a dumb teenager from one of those bad teenager movies. If you don't give a fuck about your sister's problems, then why do you complain about them? They're not your problems. If your mother is trying so hard to be a good mother right now, why would you judge her by the past? Your father is tired after working all day to feed you: have some respect for the man. Yes, you're definitely one of those spoiled kids.

• My sister makes my life harder than it needs to be. She threw a temper tantrum the other day hit me a total of 14 times and I finally hit her in the fave to get her to stop biting me. She called the cops on me and made me miss my classes for the day.

My dad is the only one I really respect because he tries to help me out despite him making me feel terrible for going to college. They don't pay for anything really at all when it comes to college and I worked my ass off to get scholarships so I could go.

My mom is a fcking woman who is incapable of logical thinking and didn't do anything for me in high school or support me in anything to help me build my future. She stopped acting like a mom a long time ago and now she knows I'm older and realizes it. She attempts to overcome sate but the damage is done.

My whole life I had to deal with a broken home and being financially unstable and getting verbally abused on a daily basis.

Fck you to so quickly judge me telling me I'm spoiled..

• You should've been more specific in the original post. Now I see a bit more of the situation. Well, at least you're getting far in life. Just be sure not to become a dick when you get a degree.