Anybody else scared of escalators?

I'm really curious, is anybody else just terrified of them? Especially when at the malls.

Going up is horror for me! By the time I get off of them I'm panting and I feel like I'm going to pass out. Going down isn't as bad, but I still don't like it. I feel like I'm going to fall down them because they move. Ugh, it's hard to explain. I was at the mall the other day, and I absolutely refused to go down the escalator.

It's not just a fear of heights. I'm fine any other way. It's just taking an escalator that scares the shit out of me. Anyone else feel like this? :/

• I'm afraid of escalators too!
  • I'm not afraid of escalators but it is normal.
  • No, that's not normal. :/
  • Other.

Most Helpful Guy

• Nah, I'm fine with them. I did once trip and fall on one, and it's an awful feeling trying to decide which part of your hand to sacrifice to the pointy steps catching yourself. Oh, and when I was a kid, I remember seeing a little girl my age who had got her foot stuck in the side. For years I thought it meant that her actual foot had gone down the side but I have since realized it had to have been her shoelace.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P71G5hpdjq4

Most Helpful Girl

• I'm not scared of escalators, but my sister is. It was kind of problematic when she went to the biggest mall in Dubai. Her friend somehow convinced her to step on it.
    It's normal, girly. Everyone are scared of something. You're just scared of escalators. I have Nyctophobia... And some other things, >.<

• What does that mean? ;n;

• I'm scared of height, but I'm not scared of escalators. Isn't that weird? 😂 and I'm scared of thunder lightings, clowns, crocodiles, snakes and lizards.. Lol. I hope I'll overcome my fears soon though

• Aww that's ok.

What Guys Said 10

• I've heard this many times so it's normal to be scared of one. But they are just a moving platform or a moving stair. It's like standing on a surfboard and surfing on the waves. Or a snowboard. You stand on a surface and the surface moves you from one place to another.

• I wasn't before but probably will be now - It is elevators for me I have a nightmare that it breaks down and power goes, leaving me in darkness.

• I'm afraid of escalators you never catch me on them ,

• You should fix that lol

I can picture you as an old lady that's been afraid of escalators her whole life now she can't even go on them.

• Not afraid of escalators but I am afraid of heights and was afraid of lifts for a long time I am ok now though.

• I'm not scared, but I don't like those. Because the escalators move so slowly and people using them just stand still on them (instead of climbing up or down) which blocks my way. So, it takes more time on escalators than on simple stairs.

• i don´t think it´s "normal" i mean not much can happen. anyway.

• I'm afraid of what will happen if I don't step off in time

• If I lived in China I certainly would be.

• I used to be when I was little. I was always afraid I'd fall or something.

What Girls Said 13

• That's not really normal, I don't think... I hate lifts but I'm fine on escalators. My grandmother can just about go up them but has a panic attack whenever she tries to go down them.

• That's how I am with escalators. I'm perfectly fine going up them, but going down is another story. I had some traumatic experiences with them when I was younger. :/

• I'm not afraid of escalators, but I understand why some people might be. I once got my shoe lace and actual sneaker stuck in an escalator and was totally freaking out, but it didn't make me afraid of them after that incident.

• I absolutely hate them and will avoid them if at all possible. When I was a little kid, my pant leg got sucked into one and it almost started eating my skin. Thankfully, one of the employees at the department store saw and hit the emergency stop button. I have been terrified of them since, though.

• That's almost what happened to me when I was little. I usually just take the stairs or the escalator. My friends pulled me into one and I started hyperventilating. :/

• Ugh. That is horrible. Yeah, I stick to elevators if I can.

• I'm scared for little children with their shoe laces untied ;_; i always cringe, especially when they brush the sides of their feet with the bristle thingies

• i was like that as a child
    especially the fast moving ones
    but my issue was going down not up

i was so scared one time i that i didn't follow my mom going down and just stood there while she was still looking up at me, waiting for me on the bottom floor

it was not until a man offered his hand to me going down that i came down the escalator, lol. then he gave me to my mom

• I'm not terrified but I do get on them very slowly! It's a good thing I don't live in a big city or people would get upset with me lol

• I like escalators! I tried running up the one that does down with my brother but we got in trouble lol.

• Haha. I'd be to afraid.

• I was with my friend once and we were working out which platform at the train station we needed to be on to catch our train. Just as we stepped on the escalator to go down to a platform we realised it was the wrong one so we turned around and walked back up the down escalator. The security at the train station came out and said to us "can you please not do that, it is dangerous". I once also saw at the same train station a group of people that consisted of both guys and girls. One of the guys took a piss and the whole group of people got kicked out of the station by security.

• Its good exercise lol

@Applefan1 seems like an interesting train station!

• Nope, not at all. They move so slowly.

• Have you seen that video of that lady falling into an escalator and dying in China? Anything can happen, I feel like I am risking my life by getting on a escalator.

• You're risking your life just by existing since literally anything can kill you. You're more likely to die in your own home than you are getting killed on an escalator, by the escalator. It's an irrational fear.

• That's how I feel. I'm even afraid to get on one. Ugh I'm a scaredy cat. I saw that video. It was horrible

• I blame Final Destination...

• No they don't bother me at all.

• Yes I'm afraid if escalators, especially when going up and sometimes going down :(

• Just hold onto the rail. I'd rather take the lift or stairs though.