Does power corrupt people?

I'm asking because I'm currently in conflict with people in powerful positions. They lie and scam to force their will.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm not like a politically powerful person but I do have a job that gives me certain "god rights" to users information. E-mail, personal files, all that stuff. It's corrupted me at one point; as a Sys Admin I provisioned myself read rights on everyones e-mail accounts then read a whole soap opera about how my boy was doing literally 4 of the 6 girls in our customer service department. It was amazing to watch him e-mail girl-1 saying "Let's go fuck at lunch" then her saying she's busy so he'd reply to girl-2 and down the line until he found one who was ready. The executives of the company weren't any better. The CEO- "Let's hire that slut with the high heels" and other dirt like that. Plus I always knew when I was going to get a raise or if I fucked something up. And I had an insiders view of what they wanted so I could align my efforts and look like a rock star. Yeah that was fun. I even read the e-mail about them putting the company up for sale and that gave me the heads up to update my resume and bounce before shit hit the fan. So did it corrupt me; yeah. That was personal information and I shouldn't have read it. Quite entertaining though. Incredibly surprising how many girls were down to fuck with little to no effort. Especially when asked by C-level executives

What Girls Said 14

• It can if you choose to let it. I know some powerful people who aren't corrupt... because they realize that they were given "power" to do something good. It's not that they worship the power or lust after it like others do.

I think you also need to have a good support system that keeps your head on the ground. Surround yourself with the wrong people, and corruption seeps in quickly.

• I voted A for yes but I don't believe any situation can turn you into anything. I think the right situations bring out of you what was already there. It's not that power turns people evil, it's that the wrong people receive power and it allows them to be what they already had inside.

• History has proven quite a lot that power corrupts people :P

• Definitely. When people have the power, they know they can do whatever they want without consequences, so they do.

• It corrupts some people... Not all.

• yes i think that power corrupt people

• It depends on the person and their intentions. When people are in positions of power, they can use it to do good or bad but without that power they will probably still have ill wishes if they are bad.

• It can enhance their ambitions, good or bad.

• of course it does. why wouldn't it?

• I think majority of the time, it does yes.

• Of course it does.

• Yes of course it does. It gives them a big head

• Power and money. If you dont have money you dont have power it's connected.

• No, weak willed people who lack integrity give into corruption, its not the power, but the person.

People of all levels lie & scam to get what they want.

What Guys Said 40

• I have been thinking about this for a long time. Think about this. How about this story:

Let's say your country has been through terrible times because people in power did everything to help themselves and nothing for the people. Now you become president. You want to serve the people and you have a great plan to end all poverty, injustice, suffering and war in your country. The people you have to work with are are still of the old regime but as long as you are president they will do what you say.

The plan is working. However it is still not what it is suppose to be. And your maximum term is up so people cannot re-elect you. The only electable people are of the old regime and the country would within a year go back to the old ways.

Would just let it happen? Would change the law that people can elect you for another time. Would you make sure that someone you can control would be elected? Would you make sure the people of the old regime could not get elected?

If you can answer this you'll know the answer.

• I would replace the people in high positions with people who are just and truthful. And if the new people do the same the government will end up with the best people serving the nation.

• I believe no one should have a claim on government positions. Changing people from positions is a good thing.

If they did nothing wrong and are serving the nation in a positive way than I would keep them ofcourse. But if they are doing things that go against the law than I would remove them from their position.

I know it is easily said than done.

Maybe this is just how our biological social system works. So there is no change possible.

• I used to work in a huge bank. I have seen very good hearted promoted and become Darth Vader in a matter of weeks.

I think that in the end it's about intentions (good or bad), the need or want, what's at stake and of course the personality of the person involved that will determine.

• No, people are already corrupt, they just didn't have the means to deal severe damages without power. How many times did you do something wrong when you know no one is going to find out? Park illegally, throwing trash, draw doodles on stuff, over eat, bend the truth to evade responsibilities... Etc.

When you don't have power, you are like ants. Your evil is not noticed. When you grow bugger, whatever you do will cause ripples.

• These people did not get to their powerful position by being nice. Be very careful what you say to these type of people. They are good at taking what you give them and using it against you to get what they want.

• I wanted to believe that a 'Benevolent' one, with somewhat 'higher' intelligence, could not be 'corrupted' and 'abuse' their 'power'.
    I don't know that I did, but 'Power' and 'abuse' of it, is a slippery slope, shallow, and 'innocent' at first.
    What is 'Corruption of Power?' I have to ask.
    I was a supervisor of 12-15 people. I had 'favorites' that worked hard, and never complained! I had 'slackers' that always complained about everything!!
    Is it a 'Corruption of my Power' to favor the good workers, and let some minor offenses slide, but prosecute the same offenses committed by the 'slackers'?
    Can a "Power" rule, not being 'Corrupt,' without subjective feelings for the 'Subjects'?
    It's human nature to prefer those that are family or friends.
    Can we, at our level of development, Mental and Social, actually be 'Fair' and not allow any Power position to 'corrupt' us, by favoring friends, family and companions?

• Once power consumes them
    it will blind their judgement, yes.

Because people are greedy by nature
    once power is obtained, it's difficult to not
    just want more and more.. and more.

• Power can corrupt people but not necessarily though :)

From a lower point it may seem that the person in power is forcing his / her will but from that point they tend to look at larger interests and vision hence tend to override advise they find useful where the person at the lower level thinks they are being autocratic :)

However, yes power can corrupt - the line is very fine :)

• That may be true. But is that a reason to lie?

• That may explain why politicians 'sometimes' lie.

Thanks for your insight.

• Politicians 'sometimes' lie while rest of the time twist facts to suit their purposes while media provides those twists popularity to sell their stuff thus positivity / earning for everyone lol

You're welcome always young friend :)

• I don't care if you're Mother Theresa of Fucking Calcutta, power corrupts. From store managers making the decision to fire someone or a world leader.

Usually, if you know the other side of the oppressed, suffering and subjugation, you can lead effectively but that's if you have the necessary faculties of forgiveness, clarity, and camaraderie. Looking at a situation from the outside is a significant strength, as well as dealing with usurpers, and having interest in others before yourself, to reach out.

• No, it just gives them the opportunity. There are lots of assholes out on the streets who take advantage of anyone they can. If they get in a position of power it just lets them do it on a larger scale. But I don't think the power itself is what caused it (in most cases).

It seems to me like all the thousands of manipulative, liar, con artists, and pushy salesmen types out on the streets do far more damage than the high level power brokers.

• Lord Acton addressed this issue years ago when he said, "Power corrupts. Absolute power corrupts absolutely."

• humans are selfish. humans with power will use that power for their selfish wants/needs. thus power corrupts humans.

• I wouldn't say that power CORRUPTS people but rather it brings out their true inner CHARACHTER there's people with good character in powerful positions who are not corrupt but that takes more self-discipline than most

• In general, yes, because power grants authority. Authority is granted under the assumption that the person wielding it will use it for the purpose it is intended, not for personal gain. In a case like that it's easy to misuse authority. So power technically doesn't corrupt, but it sure makes corruption easier, and the observed effect is the same.

• no. It's the opposite: corrupt people are the ones most likely to obtain power. This is because there is no depth they will not sink to to obtain it.

• many say power corrupt, but that's not true.

Power simply let people show their true colors.

• You should control power and not the reverse. Remember! Power is like honey which is so sweet that you will want to keep it in your clutches.

• Of course it does lol history is proof of that, but keep in mind not every powerful person you meet is corrupt.

• Yes, high levels of power ALWAYS results in some level of corruption in some facet (some more than others)

• Good question =)

• Power doesn't inherently but the fame from the power does. There are good people in congress who stand up for what they believe in and will do what they want. But people in hollywood only do what's popular for their target audience, they have no ability to do something for the sake if doing something good.

• Absolute power corrupts absolutely. It's happened for a long time and continues to happen all the time

• For the most part it does

• Weak people yes.

• Power attracts corrupt people

• If the power is greater than the person's will, it will overwhelm the person and he/she won't be able to make clear and rational decisions anymore.
    Hope this helped😄👍

• Depends on the person actually

• It sure does.

• It can, but it doesn't always

• Not all people are corrupted by power.

• No, I think those people were corrupted to begin with.

• "Power corrupts, absolute power corrupts absolutely" Lord Acton

• More from Guys
    10