Does depressed equal suicidal?

Obviously it can't possibly be 100% always the case, but do you think MOST people (like 90%) who are depressed are suicidal? Flipping it around... Are ALL suicidal people depressed? I mean, what else can make a person feel a very strong need to committ suicide if not some form of depression?

Most Helpful Guy

• Are all (well most) depressed people suicidal?
    I don't think so. I've been in depressive states in the past, but I stop myself from getting too down because I always keep hope in the unknown future. I am guessing there are others too-- who cling the last hope and know that the best choice is too keep pushing forward, despite the rut of life keeping the person feeling like nothing will ever change. Suicidal thoughts is a symptom of depression, but it doesn't mean all depressed people are suicidal. They can be simply constantly unhappy, not able to get joy out of life, and things like that.

Are ALL suicidal people depressed?
    If you consider being upset with life a form of depression, I'd imagine the very vast majority are. I'm guessing that some cases are more of feeling trapped rather than feeling sad. But that is more spur of the moment regret.

Most Helpful Girl

• I don't think all people that are depressed are suicidal - I know noone who was suicidal but wasn't depressed (and I know a crazy lot of suicidal people thanks to treatment) - I think suicidal is kinda like the last stage of depression so not everyone who's depressed is suicidal at the same time, I think it's actually (fortunately) very few people that are actually so depressed they're considering suicide compared to the high number of people that are just depressive. most depressed people are just incredibly sad and unsatisfied with their lives but deep down they still wanna live.

What Guys Said 17

• personally I think it's more around 50/50 I mean some will, some won't sadly I was part of the percentage that did attempt it, also to answer your other question stress can do it to, when you are under just huge amounts of it, it litterally saps your will to live away, and just eats you alive. That coupled with depression can really make you think abuot it.

Wether someone will actually try to take their life though there are a number of factors that add into a choice like that and to actually attempt it you would have to be really depressed ( experiance )

• I don't think all depressed people are suicidal but if you factor in depressives who are not looking after themselves, drink/drug addicts, self harm and using high risk behaviour you will get an alarmingly high percentage of people who need help. On the not depressed front there is suicide because of terminal illness to avoid suffering and also the delusional suicides usually seen in cults who think they are going to a better life.

• Fortunately not, I think in neither direction.
    But, once you feel depressed (or preferably when the feeling starts) it's time for action and change before you enter the next stage.
    Action could be: make some of your problems less urgent, make time to relax, make plans to solve your worries one by one.
    In my case, making a good "to do list" helps a lot to prevent getting depressed. It makes me feel "in control" :D

• No. Depression can lead to suicidal tendencies but they are not one and the same thing. And depression does not always lead to these tendencies. I've dealt with depression my entire life from moderate to severe but I've never once seriously considered suicide. Granted my situation can't be applied to everyone - it's just an example.

• Bipolar Disorder could do it. Same goes for schizophrenia.

There are quite a few mental illnesses that cause one to act irrationally, to the point where they could commit suicide, though I wouldn't say they're hand-in-hand with depression in of itself.

• Probably depressed + daredevil = suicidal. I myself felt depressed once and felt like there is no reason why I should live. But I never got the courage to suicide, thankfully. Now, when I look back, I think it was just a small thing which made me so depressed. Anyway, are you depressed? Let us know (discuss here on GAG), because most of the problems can be dealt with.

• I have friends who have depression. One has committed suicide, but the other few haven't and have said it's not like that for them. They're depressed, but for them they can see a way out. Maybe there are varying levels of depression? It's an extremely hard thing to understand from an outsiders pov I've gathered.

But you make an interesting point on are all people who commute suicide depressed? That I'm not sure about, sometimes it might be one massive event that happens out of nowhere and the person flips, so I don't think all people who do are depressed, but I think you're on the right track of probably a large % of them are

• No not at all. Not even close. It's WAY more people who go through depression then people who kill themselves.

• my bad I thought you said suicide, not suicidal

• Depression comes in all shapes and sizes. Not all depressed people are going to want to die.
    Personally, I find my self feeling suicidal at times and yes, I have depression.

• I'm pretty sure not all depressed people are suicidal.

• not neesesarily depression is a state of loss of hope than CAN lead to suicide usually people who are impulsive actually suicide (EX squizos)

• No. I have depression, but suicide is the last thing that goes through my mind.

• The more severe the depression the more likely the patient will have suicidal ideation and/or plans. I think about 90% of suicides are suffering from clinical depression. Others might have health or financial problems, etc.

• No i think depression can be cured with good friends love and sunny days😊

• no, there are other reason people commit suicide

• don't kill yourself babe

• No, most depressed people are not suicidal.

What Girls Said 9

• No. You can feel depressed but not feel suicidal. If you leave depression untreated, it can lead to suicidal thoughts. People with severe mental health issues like schizophrenia might be suicidal due to their voices telling them to do kill themselves. I would say the majority of suicidal people are depressed though seeing as it gives you tunnel vision.

• sometimes.. yeah.. but those are not common cases.. more like 20 %.. even if someone thinks they are suicidal.. they are probably not.. it is just all the emotions taking them over.. mostly.. people get depressed.. and they think death would be better.. but they actually know deep down that this is wrong.. and suicide is a coward move.. death is easy.. it is the living that's hard.. and the stronger ones choose to live.. :)

• suicidal feelings tend not to be constant e. g a person will mostly not be thinking about suicide 24/7 for 2 years but can still be heavily depressed. and some people have suicidal tendencies but may not necessarily be depressed they could just have a really low moment e. g lost all their friends & their job

• Well, for u to have suicidal thoughts, i believe u must have to b feeling like the shittiest shit on Earth.

I can't imagine abandoning hope like that.
    I have been depressed and during that time, I never considered ending my life, no matter how terribly I was suffering. And I did suffer...

So I'm guessing someone must have to feel... I can't even imagine tbh :(

• Not all depressed people are suicidal.
    But in my opinion, I think all suicidal people are depressed, with a *few* exceptions.

I think this because depression comes before the suicidal stage. I don't think people just kill themselves with no feeling-- they've got to be depressed about something or another. This is just my viewpoint.

• Of course not.

• i have been severely depressed for the past 7 years on and of anti-depressants. i had suicidal thoughts in the beginning but not anymore. i don't really think all depressed people are suicidal but i do think most suicidal people are depressed or have another form of mental illness. but it is just my opinion though.

• depressed equal suicidal? Probably not. Can depression lead to suicide? Definitely

• i think that only some depressed individuals are suicidal