Does reading make you smarter?

Significantly smarter?

Most Helpful Guy

• You could read ten phone directories and a hundred love novels without becoming any smarter.
    It's what you read that's important.

Most Helpful Girl

• Significantly yes, especially picturebooks and comics!

What Guys Said 15

• It makes you better informed, expands your view by opening your mind to things you would have otherwise never experienced and exercises the imagination.

Does it make you smarter? Yes.
    Does it make you more intelligent? No.
    Reading the right things and a good education will make you a more interesting person to be with.

• Well, my niece is age 14 and a bookworm she makes High Honors
    in school and she is just going into her first year of High school ,

• A lot depends on what you read but I think it keeps brain active and engaged.

• Depends what you read
    If you read tweets all day probably not

If you read books that make you think critically then yes

• Yas cuz u gain more knowledge about certain areas of life as you read different subjects. Not shure if it helps with concentration cuz it does seem like it.

• It probably does. Depends on what you're reading of course. It can certainly make you more knowledgeable, but not necessarily smarter.

• You gain knowledge from it, but using that knowledge is a choice.

• That depends on what you read😂
    It makes you significantly smarter in grammar and eng. skills yes
    but everything else is relative👍
    Hope this helped 😄

• Depends on what you read

• if you only read new york post, clearly not.

• depends on what u are reading, and whether it sinks in or not.

• no it makes you lose 1 iq every week

• Well, if you understand what you're reading, it will make you more knowledgeable.

• I'd say it makes you more knowledgeable, not smarter. There's a difference. You could take an immortal dumbass and have him read thousands of years of books, he'd still be dumber than a genius with higher IQ.

• Depends on what you're trying to be smarter with. You can read all the books in the world but if you're walking at night in downtown Detroit you can learn the street smarts you need to survive.

What Girls Said 12

• I think it does but the degree of how much smarter also depends on what you're reading, don't think the twilight books are gonna make you a genius for instance 😜

• No but it helps.

• Challenging your brain keeps you sharper. You improve your vocabulary the more you read because the ore words you'll learn. Reading is my favorite past time 👍🏽

• I believe yes. Im reading from when I was a child of 8 years :)
    I began with fairy tales and now I read classics and politics and history.

• I read all day everyday, although I prefer to focus my time and energy on educated material

• I believe that reading good quality books is one of the best ways to increase knowledge.

• If you read the right books, you can learn about history, how to write and tons of other things.
    I say yes.

• Probably so

• Yes it does. It's good exercise for your brain.

• Yes. Reading keeps you sharp and easier to grasp things throughout life. It improves analytical thinking. It also increases your vocabulary, and helps with grammar and spelling. Some says it helps with memory as well!

• It can't hurt...
    It definitely helps with vocab skills and such.

• Guess it depends on what you're reading.