Would you drink your own pee if there was no water left?

Suppose you were stuck in a desert with no water left and the only option left was drinking your own pee.

• Yes
  • No

Most Helpful Guy

• I would but your body can only survive on ur own urine for a very short time. consuming too much (by which I mean the difference of a few ounces) will actually harm you and potentially kill you

just consider this.
    1) urine is pretty high in sodium. therefore too much will shut down your kidneys
    2) urine, while sterile, is still human waste. so too much is highly toxic to your body

• Urine is technically a by-product of respiration, not waste.

• "Human urine together with human feces are collectively referred to as human waste or human excreta."

it's excrement. it is absolutely your human waste. it comes from cellular metabolism and is not a by-product of respiration. the kidney filters soluble waste from the blood stream (also excessive amounts of water, sugar and other compounds).
      urine is 90% or slightly more water. That's why one can drink it when truly dehydrated. but because it is usually high in sodium and waste it will eventually cause big problems if consumed in even moderate quantities in a short period of time

Most Helpful Girl

• This is usually what hostages do until they can be liberated. Not a long term solution (the high level of uric acid/urea/ammonia is not good for you) but it can keep you alive a little longer.

What Guys Said 20

• It is a terrible idea. Your body expels it for a reason. If you had some means of filtering it to remove as many of the chemicals from the water as possible, it would be better but peeing in a cup and drinking it will reduce your chances for survival.

• i'm traumatized when it comes to drinking pee

When i was 10 i had a handi capped aunt she had ems (she's dead now)
    she would go in my room when i went to school and i didn't mind it

i had a cup of orange juice in my room i was drinking before i went to school i was coming home to finish it and so i came home it was misplaced and it was in a different spot but in the same cup so i drank it and it was piss

my aunt had drunk my orange juice and couldn't make it to the bathroom so she peed in the cup

• Well I don't want to die so yes I would drink my own pee.

• Well there's always the option to
    create water through condensation.

But say there really were no options, yeah I would
    but not for long, as it's really really unhealthy depending on how
    long we last drank anything.

If I remember correct, it will actually both dry us out
    and make us sick, if consumed in higher doses.

I'd rather use it for a short while, while trying
    to make condensed water.

• No, I will never do that. I would rather search for an Oasis, if I find it then good, at the most what will happen I will die, so what? I would rather die but I will never do as to what you have asked in your question.

• If you have chances for survival in the next two days then yes, urine is high in sodium and waste materials, in about two days you would no longer be able to to rehydrate yourself with it and start taking kidney damage instead.

• Well If I were "Stranded" With other survivors I would Kill them and drink their blood

• ... would you?

• "Necessary? Is it necessary for me to drink my own urine?
    No, but I do it anyway because it's sterile and I like the taste."-Patches O'Houlihan

• If there was abosultley nothing left yes.

• I rather die than being one sick mudda effort >.>

• 127 hours. why do kids always copy the movies these days?

• yes, but I would not be happy about it

• sure if it came out clear.

• if it will help me survive, sure why not

• Filtering per is actually easy to do

• No, that only works in crappy movies like Waterworld.

• I've lived enough life; I'd rather die. Which is weird because I voted "ok" for the "would you eat another person" question earlier today. Hm...

• Usually we don't do that but in that's I'll do that though I'll came to know how it taste 😂😂

• Sure! It's just as well I brought this with me

http://www.aralatan.com/HMBG_Water_Distiller.JPG

• Wow, Anonymous, Biggest Life Straw on the Market. lol:)) xxoo

What Girls Said 9

• Only if I had a Life Straw in my back pocket, which Allows me to Suck Anything Up, dirty or clean. xx

• You'd have to...

• I know but looking at the poll apparently half the people would rather die ಠ_ಠ

• Hahaha i doubt they actually would not drink it. Hahaha xD

• yeah if i had to lmao. i probably would honestly. isn't that supposed to be good for you or something? like in an emergency xD

• Omg I can't believe some people actually said "yes", let alone most. Wow. I'm shocked tbh

• Hey it's better than dying of thirst :P

• I'll actually rather die tbh. That sounds crazy but pee stinks and seems like it'll be soooo a million times nasty even though I only drink water

• If it means I survive, then yeah :)

• Haha, sure.

• Nope. No thirst would make me do so. I'd rather drink the sand.

• I guess I'd have to.

• no that won't hydrate you.