XD vs. xD - Which one is correct?

I use XD but around 95% people use xD which makes me think that I am doing it the wrong way. Personally, I feel that it should be XD because it looks symmetrical while with xD it looks like the eyes are tilted to one side which is unoriginal. I wonder why people prefer xD instead of XD. Teach me.

XD vs. xD - Which one is correct?

• XD
  • xD

Most Helpful Girl

• because not everyone in this world use -----> xD , XD
    and if i type XD like this <------ they would be wondering what does XD stand for?
    like they would wonder what does XD stand like does it mean!! Xtra Directv?
    if i use xD <----- like this!!! you can tell its someone just laughing hahah get it?

Most Helpful Guy

• I'm an avid user of these faces. It's practically a bad typing habit I have. I almost always use "xD."

The reason I don't use "XD" is because I always (in my head) imagine it to look more like regular letters -- an X and a D. With xD, the fact of there being a lower case letter in front of a capital, something that is rare in English, helps distinguish it more as a face in my opinion.

In texting, both are correct, but I personally prefer xD for the reasoning above.

What Girls Said 12

• I didn't vote because I use both. Typically, I'll use xD, but XD gets used if something is extra hilarious.

xD = haha: It's funny, but it more than likely just got a smile out of me.
    XD = lmao: It's so entertaining that I'm actually laughing out loud at whatever was said.

• I like the smaller x - because it looks more proportionate to me - I know it sounds weird because it's not true... but yeah. xD

• Not something I pay attention to

• xD

XD looks weird too kind of like it's actually the letter x and d instead of a smiley face.

• I ALWAYS USE XD
    because of the same reason, I'm like "wtf, why xD, it doesn't look right to me"

PS: That dude in the pic has the most amazing teeth I've seen.

• That picture made my day oml 😂
    And I always thought people did xD because they were lazy. I've also seen this xd which is just straight up weird. Anyways I do this XD

• I don't know what's right but I agree with you! I personally only use 😄😄😄😄

• I don't care to use either of them, but it looks best with both capitalized.

• Both are correct.

• It's suppose to be two eyes squinting (like your photo) therefore the only TRUE way of doing it would be XD

xD is simply lazy and stupid.

• I use xD because it makes it seem like you're winking. Or is that just me?

• XD of course!! XD

What Guys Said 11

• Why bother with popular opinion in even trivial things that are meant to just express something. The expression isn't trivial but the haggling about it is a waste of your precious time.

Like your pic depicts use XD for a full faced grin and xD for a naughty wink and grin :D ;)

Live life your way, not by popularity :D

• Well, it was meant to perfection and knowledge :D

• Sometimes, I run out of words to appreciate you properly. ;)

• Between us we don't need words to understand though they're required to communicate where the understanding comes automatically :)

• xD is correct because XD could be mistaken for an abriviation

• For me xD is 'halfway' deep laughter while XD is full deep laughter. I use both when I see fit.

• I always capital X the "XD" emoticon face! :-D

• I use xD
    XD reminds me of this guy who was annoying as fuck. he would be like "XDDDDDDDDDD" at the smallest jokes. It seems too excited to me now.
    I use cx when its a giggle kind of laugh
    and xD when its really funny
    or xDD when its even funnier

• both good job you win kid

• I use them both
    both are 'correct?' acceptable?

It depends on how much I'm cracking up :D

• XD obviously I always use that one

• I use both, but I use "xD" in a "yeah that's cute, now go away" way.

• i say "xd" because i hate everyone who uses xD or XD
    or XDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD to piss them off

• just to show how little i care about this, (cant believe this is even a question haha) lots of times when i want to use that 'smiley', my phone writes it 'Xd' and i never change it lol. who the fuck cares? hilarious!

• even more shocking is the fact that its a 20 yo guy that asked this, it would already be hilarious if it was a 14 yo girl asking... but this takes it to yet another level of funny!

• It's very funny that no matter how stupid question you ask, the worst critics will submit the longest answer and try too hard XD

• So every question we ask is supposed to be some intellectual post? we can't have a little fun and ask a silly question? o. o