Do single-sex schools benefit education?

Give your opinions! Im torn between yes and no...

Most Helpful Guy

• No it doesn't. Same sex school doesn't represent the real world. You won't be working in a single-gender environment.

I feel through social factor of school is just as important as the schooling itself. No way is my son or daughter going to a single -gender school.

They need experience how to function and conduct themselves around those of the opposite gender in which they are forced to be around (just like the real world).

Most Helpful Girl

• I did a project on this once and single sex schools had more pros than public schools

What Guys Said 4

• I don't think so, interactions between genders is something really good and should be always incentivated. Single-sex school can't provide it to the students.

• Yeah in a way it does cause it won't make people want to give into their temptation as much cause the stimulus would't be there. But its not everything cause there are countries where the schools are like this and a lot of the students do very poorly like in Iraq for instance its also the environment that matters, the way they were raised by their parents, the people they hang out with, and how ambitious they are to learn and do well in school.

• There are a lot of stats that back this up but from a social integration I think unisex is better.

• I went to boys most of my life. It just made me waste more time travelling further to chase girls.

What Girls Said 3

• I'm going to speak here mostly in regards to gender segregated schooling through high school and earlier, and mainly for situations where the students' parents are the ones determining what school the student goes to.

I really don't think gender segregated schooling is beneficial. First off, I just generally object to unnecessary separation of the genders, as I don't think the idea that men and women are oh so very different should be encouraged. By separating the genders in schooling, students will grow up likely believing much more strongly in the idea that the other gender is very different from their own, which isn't an idea I really support. Plus, there's the issue of inclusion of transgender students, especially non-binary ones. Of course, it's great when schools are inclusive, but it would be all too easy for a school not to be.

Furthermore, gender segregation leaves students unprepared for when they enter non-segregated environments. The rational for separating the genders is generally that that way they will be more free from distractions. However, if students are really that easily distracted, what's going to happen once they're no longer in such sheltered environments, if they haven't had any way of getting used to the idea? I think it's far better to not segregate students, and let them naturally adapt to environments with genders other than their own.

Finally, I am somewhat wary of what could happen were schools to specialize their curriculum for the gender they teach. We all know how well "separate but equal" worked, and I'm afraid of how a similar situation involving gender would go. I don't believe in strong gender roles, and believe that it would be fairly easy for gender segregated schools to pick up those gender roles and exaggerate them in application to the students.

• Generally yes. It's like a private school except for either boys or girls. There are rules to abide by, more focused on education and I believe more expensive too.

• i think they do!